Author Topic: 20 ga Ultra+ Scope+ Rings+ SHOT PLACEMENT  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Bee County

• Trade Count: (0)
20 ga Ultra+ Scope+ Rings+ SHOT PLACEMENT
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:54:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'm having a bear of a time finding an Ultra Slug Hunter with laminate stock in 20 gauge for a good price.  I prefer to stay away from the auction sites (as I have been burned there before) so I'm looking for a discount store which stocks the gun.  Everyone seems to be out of them!  Any ideas?  
Also, I'm considering putting a Bushell Elite 3200 (or Trophy) 3x9-40 on the rig but I'm a little hesitant about the eye relief.  Mfg is claiming about 3.3 inches of relief! In your experience, will that be enough for this 20 gauge?  Is it going to depend mostly upon the power at which I'm using the scope? Also - what type of rings would you all reccommend?  

I appreciate any advice that you all can offer,
Chris

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:36:46 AM »
There's always Walmart which I personally cannot stand, but they do have the best price. If its not in stock, they can usually get them in a week or 2.

As to the scope, I really like the Bushnell Elite 3200 series. I would, however, go with the 1.5-4.5x32. It has a much greater FOV which is a very important consideration for a slug gun, and 4.5x is more than enough magnification for the range of this weapon which is somewhere between 100 to 150yds if you practice shooting with it. Also, the 1.5-4.5 has the heavy duplex reticle which makes it faster on target and easier to pick out in heavy cover.

I have the 15.-4.5x32 on my TC Encore 209x50, and it has a bit longer reach than my Ultra Slug. It is a very good scope.

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:05:04 PM »
Do not worry about the eye relief.  I got a 20 guage ultra barrel for my handi and finally sighted it in last month.  Boy what difference compared to my 870 12 guage with a slug barrel.  To be honest it does not really have a kick to it, in fact it is a lot easier than my 7 mag or 30-06.  As for a scope I love the elete series but prefer the smaller compact scopes for the handi.  I picked up a burris 4 power compact and it looks and works great, it also has longer eye relief than the bushnell.  Good luck on finding the ultra and I hope yours shoots as well as mine is  :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline Bee County

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:15:21 PM »
Guys,
I appreciate the responses.  A lower powered scope would be much more versatile and I am still considering the 4.5x.  However, I suggested the 3-9 rather than a lower powered scope because the gun will be used for hunting hog and deer and I would like to place relatively precise shots from a blind at 30-80 yards (I'll use one of my long guns for anything further than that).  Since I prefer to take out game as quickly as possible and with a minimal waste of meat, I’m accustomed to shooting hogs and deer in the head or neck region.  I understand that such shots are controversial (and I understand why, they're usually not hit or miss, but rather, hit or maim).   Having said that, in my experience, I have never seen a deer run or suffer from such a shot – they just drop.  I always shoot within my ability and I get out to the range (and the ranch) alot and practice.  I understand this slug gun is no longgun, but with the groups that you all seem to be shooting at 50 yards, a neck shot would be more than a viable option on a deer.  So….. do any of you all take this type of shot? If not, then how do you drop them?  Behind the shoulder?  What type of meat loss results when using a 260 grain projectile with such a shot?  Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I’ve just never seen anyone use a rifled slug gun (or any slug gun, for that matter) down here.  
This brings up another topic…..trigger pull.  I’m usually measure my trigger pull in ounces, not in pounds and, as such, I’m presuming that I’ll have a fairly hard time with the Ultra’s heavy factory trigger pull.  Have any of yall sent your gun off to Marlin for their free trigger job?  If so, what was the trigger pull after the upgrade (lbs)?  I’ve heard that 2-3 lbs is about as light as one should go with these guns.
Also - do you guys have any accurizing tips for this gun or for the shooters style?  I've read up on the "O" ring thing and it sounds interesting.    
Thanks again guys, I appreciate the advice and I hope that I have not offended anyone w/ the talk of the neck shot.  Sorry about the length of this post.
-Chris

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:05 PM »
I have put a doe down at 120yds which is my longest with my 12ga Ultra Slug and Winchester Partition Golds, had a Simmons 4x32 Pro Diamond on it at the time. I put it right behind the front shoulder and she went down on the spot. I always go for this shot, and at worse, I hit a shoulder and they still go down. The shoulder usually offers the poorest quality meat anyway, and I'd rather be sure of a clean kill.

The higher power would be good if you are trying to make a head shot at extended range, but you lose a lot in trade off for those close in or quick shots with the smaller FOV. I think that a 1-4 power has plenty of magnication for precision shooting for hunting purposes with a slug. I can consistantly hit a 6" circle at 100yds from a typical hunting position (sitting, kneeling, braced against a tree, etc.). From a bench, its much tighter than that.

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:41:22 AM »
I have used the platinum tip slug right behind the shoulder on deer and had them run about 20 yards before crashing headfirst into the snow.  As for trigger pull I sent mine in this last year for the slug barrel along with a couple of others and ask for a trigger job.  whew they did one alright.  I am actually a little worried for deer season shooting it with gloves on.  I have not measured the trigger pull but it is by far the lightest I have and a lot different than the 870.  I have been reading about this accuracy thing that people keep doing but to be honest I have not had any problems with any of my barrels.  I have sighted in my 223, 357max, and ultra 20 barrel and take them off and put another on at least every 2 weeks (I have used all in one range session) and not had any problems (maybe I am just lucky  :grin: )  Anyway as for accuracy with a 4 power scope using the 20 gauge platinum tips I have been getting 3 shots in a nice little cloverleaf at 50 yds and almost that good at 100.
I must be crazy.

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 05:12:44 AM »
BC,
I've hunted whitetail here in my part of NY for fifty years with a 20 gauge in about every configuration you can find in a slug gun...every price range from the cheapest smooth bore to the highest priced fully rifled slug gun costing 10 maybe 20 times as much as your ultra20... My choice since they first came out has been an ultra 20 that sports a Bushnell 1.5X4.5X32 scope...it just loves to digest Winchester BRI's and Both federal 3" lead as well as Barnes expander Sabots...

The scope sits on weaver high rings and has sufficient clearance to cock it wearing gloves. Deer season's are cold up here...

As to neck shooting deer, hey my Dad and Grandfather taught me waste not want not, besides I hate to drag them anymore than I need too at my age and they seem to drop right where they stand when the shot is properly taken... when I moderated on another forum I use to keep track of how many I had Neck shot with the Ultra, suffer from Ol' Timers,CRS and CSS w/o a scope but do believe it was 23 outta 24 (WNY might remember)... Do Know that last years Cow Horn (SPike for you guys that don't speak Texan) fell at 147 paces to a Lucky neck shot... on occasion I'll take one quartering away but most have been taken from 10 - 50 yds and the biggest percentage within 35 yds... never had one travel more than 10 yds and he was headed for the house....

BTW my pull from the factory was 3.5 lbs its down to 3... Good Luck with yours ... Later, MTNMAN :wink:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
scope
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 07:50:48 AM »
bushnell elite bushnell elite bushnell elite!!!!!!!! i loooooooove my elite 3200 3-9x40 on my ultra 20 ga. w/synthetic stock. ER???? plenty, 3.3'' is all you need for a heavy barreled 20 ga. before putting the elite on there i had a bushnell trophy had 3'' of eye relief........shot just fine and i wear glasses!!! :P  4.5x is ok for longer shot(150-175 yds) but ya just cant beat the 9x for *precise* slug placment.
buckslayer :twisted:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 08:04:38 AM »
23 out of 24 does sound correct MTNMAN...I recommend a lower power scope as well.  I use a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 on my Ultra Slugger 12GA.  I've "lost" a couple deer while using my fixed 4x32 Simmons scope on my Rem 870 smooth bore slugger.  They walked in at 15 yards and I could not find them in the scope...By the time I found them all I could see was a couple white flags waving goodbye to me...After that I went out and bought the Trophy and have never looked back.  I always keep my scope on 1.75x in case I see a deer at close range...If one pokes it's head out further away then I will turn up the power to 4x.  Field of view is everything...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bee County

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 04:38:31 AM »
Gents,

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate the help. I'm going to order the Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 20 ga today. As for optics, I have not made a decision, and now the 1.5-4, 2-7 and 3-9 Busnhell Elites are all in contention.  I'm going to wait until I get the gun and then try out these scopes.  As for ring size, it will ultimately depend upon the scope, but I'll go w/ the Leupold Rifleman or Millet's seated as low as possible while still offering clearance of the hammer.  As for ammo, I'm taking all of your recommendations into consideration.  
Unfortunately, I've been stricken BADLY by this NEF bug that I've heard y'all mention. Even though I havent yet ordered the Ultra Slug, I already feel another NEF purchase coming on.  I'm gonna need y'alls advice on this next purchase but I really don't want to get into it now as it is keeping me from my work. (really, really keeping me from my work)  

Have a great weekend guys.
-Chris

Going Dove hunting in the south zone this weekend.  Quail opens Oct 30, Deer and Rio Grande Turkey open Nov 6 !!!!

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 04:58:42 AM »
Just an fyi but I do not think you can use anything but high rings for the nef.  I had some weaver 4x4 med rings that I was going to try but the clearance was not enough and the hammer would hit the scope :?
I must be crazy.

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 03:39:30 PM »
I just checked with Wal-Mart's distributor, they have the plain wood 20ga in stock but not the laminated. Walmart will sell you the plain one for $176.

I strongly doubt that you can order a laminated 20ga from any distributor and hunt with it this year.

http://www.internetguncatalog.com

Offline Bee County

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 08:02:48 AM »
Thanks again for all of the help guys.  I'll keep y'all updated.

-Chris

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 11:35:16 AM »
Williams Gunsight in Davison, MI had a 20 Ultra Deluxe when I was there last week. They are a bit pricy at $260, but they do have it in stock. Of course, you'd have to also pay shipping and FFL transfer fees. Their website is:

http://www.williamsfiresight.com

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
You could always buy the wooden stocked one now and replace the stocks later if you wanted. You might efen be able to work out a trade of some sort with someone over the winter and you would have the gun to shoot now....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley