Author Topic: Snort calls.  (Read 735 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Snort calls.
« on: October 31, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »
Curious if anyone else uses these magic beauties  I had a guy who does the sprinkler system checks where I work tell me about them a couple of years ago.  I bought one to try but tagged out real early last year and didnt get to fool with it.  But this year was different.  I had a real young doe walk up on my stand yesterday.  she knew something was unusual but couldnt place it.  So she turned to head away from me with her flag up, but trotting, not running.  She got no more than a few feet when I puffed on the snort call.  Instantly the flag went down and she went back to a slow walk.  I let her walk away (Im all for meat, especially with two tags now, but I wasnt about to show up at the weigh station with that poor tiny thing,) where she stoped 40 yards away and stared for about 2 minutes before simlply walking away.  About an hour later a caught a glimps of at least 2 flags in the heavy brush in front of me.  I musta spooked em long before I saw em.  Puff the snort call and a few minutes later 2 does came feeding out about 50 yards away ( I was gonna try for one of these, as they were of a better quality size.)  Unfortunately a combination of blocked shots and them feedin away meant a shot of at least 75 yards, a shot I didnt feel quite confident about with my muzzel loader.  But again, 2 more deer that were nervous calmed right down by the simple puff of air over a rubber band.  The guy who told me about them said he has turned so many people on to these calls.  It mellows even the wariest deer right out.  As a matter of fact he told me about one day he had a doe come out in front of him (it was bucks only.)  He played with that deer for 20 minutes he said.  Every time she looked like she was getting nervous or about to bolt he would give a puff and she would return feeding.  He was so surprised when after that 20 minutes a big buck came charging from the woods towards her.  I dont know how well this call works on bucks ('specially rutted up ones,) but it sure does calm the lady folk right down.  So, anyone else using these magic beauties.  If so how effective has it been for ya?
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline savageT

Snort calls.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:31:11 AM »
Hey NH!
Hope I didn't miss out on your snort call earlier.  Can you describe the rubber band and puff of air a little more in detail?  Are you stretching a thin or thick rubber band between two fingers?

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Snort calls.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:49:02 AM »
I too would love to know more about the snort call.

I have always thought a snort was a way of deer to address some sort of potentl danger. it is always what I hear before I hear the deer running in the opposite direction

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Snort calls.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 11:34:40 AM »
Ive seen two different variations of the call.  The one I have is a hand made one from Faulks that I got through Ballistic Precision Ince.  Basically it looks like to pieces of wood screwed together with a groove cut out of the middle.  The rubber band passes through this slot.  The other version Ive seen is made completely of plastic and uses a reed rather than rubber band.  All you do is give a quick puff just like you do a grunt call only it feels different because of the shape of the call.  Lemme see If I can find these for ya.....

This is the one I have.

I cant seem to find the other one right now, but Ill keep looking.  The guy who turned me on to them also told me they work greaton bucks too.  he says they are more aggressive coming to these calls where as the does calm right down.  He told me the best stratgey he has ever had was that, if you jump a buck, to stop or sit real quick and blow the snort.  He said they will probably come charging right back in.
Again, Ill check some more for the other call Ive seen.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Snort calls.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
A true snort is a sound made by deer mostly when frightened. If you are blundering about the woods and spook a deer which has heard but not seen or smelled you it seems to calm them down OK. You don't need a store bought call to do it tho. Just blow hard out your nose and you'll do just as well as any call they can make and it is always ready and available at a moment's notice.

I've used it at times on deer that heard me but didn't see or smell me. It seems to calm them down OK. I've never had one approach me after it tho. Can't say they never would but just that none have yet. For sure it's NOT a call to use on a deer that isn't already alarmed and best used after they've snorted. Then it kinda makes them think they were spooked by another deer which they have also spooked. Used on a deer that is calm and not yet aware of your presence I'd say it is almost sure to scare them off.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Snort calls.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:04:18 PM »
I believe the writer Peter Feduccia uses an improvised version.  Im not positive but I think he uses a pen knife and rubber band.  Could be wrong, but not sure.  Ill I know is that under the right cirumstances this thing seems to be a little gem.  Maybe not an end all be all deer caller/attractor.  But just one more trick in our little camo bag  :) .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member