Author Topic: 7mm-08 ballistic tip  (Read 963 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« on: October 24, 2004, 05:22:47 AM »
Anyone using this bullet,how doesit work on deer from 25 to 200 yards?Is one brand better like winchester ,federal or hornaday,remington?
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 12:45:34 PM »
The Ballistic Tips work great on whitetails. At 7mm-08 velocities, I think they would be ideal. If you wanted a little extra insurance against rapid expansion you could try the 140gr Accubond. The bonded core of the Accubond bullet will provide better penetration, if needed, and will cause less bloodshot meat at the point of impact.

Either bullet will work well on whitetails.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 01:23:21 PM »
My youngest son used them out of his 7m-08.  At 7m-08 velocities it is an excellent bullet.  Infact, he has been using the 120 gn bullets and has always gotten complete passthroughs with holes the size of a silver dollar.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:05:58 AM »
I think the Hornady SST will probably hold up a little better than the ballistic tip due to the interlokt construction.  I haven't had much good to say about ballistic tips, which is why I went to Hornady.

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 03:11:54 PM »
I have had great luck shooting Baliistic Tip handloads. I have shot 6-8 deer, and never had any problems with bullets blowing up, like some have claimed. Included are several deer shot through a front shoulder, and one that I shot through the back hip and out the opposite hind leg (not proud of my marksmanship on that one!) All gave me exit wounds.
Will

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:16:03 AM »
Will, I haven't used the ballistic tips lately (2 yrs or so), so they may be better now.  I had two bad experiences a few years ago with my 7mag at ranges around 100 yds...bullet basically disentegrated.  I know alot of people like them though and that's great.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 09:23:48 AM »
like Varmint Hunter said....i truely believe the 140 accubond is the best all around deer bullet for any deer on this earth......I just wosh they made one for a 30-06!!?? :cry: All Nosler makes right now is a 180 grainer......which is too big for my taste...i thyink ill be shooting 165 or 150 out of my 30-06 this year........I honestly dont like ballistic tips b/c of the "blow up" facotr.......i will be using Hornady Interbond this year, that have the accuracy of a Ballis. Tip but is a bonded core......kinda like the AccuBond.......good luck
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 08:30:10 PM »
The modern Nosler ballistic tip will not do the blow-up thing in deer hunting calibers at velocities below 3000 fps. The make a ballistic tip for varmits and one for big game. The lightest ones in caliber are varmit bullets. The hevier ones are for hunting big game. I have used them fo years and have never seen this mysterious blow-up I keep hearing about.
shot placement is everything.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 10:14:29 AM »
im glad uve had good luck with them.......last year I had an experience w/ one......(well another hunter very close to me that i know........) he shot a does at about 55 yards, and we never found it......i dont remember what caliber maybe a 7mm mag, but the deer died, and left no blood trail, and we never found it......(later he made sure it dropped, and shot it in the head)

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »
My buddy uses one and loves the caliber...shot a nice doe last year with it..dropped in its tracks  :grin:
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 04:05:29 PM »
Shot a doe with one and it turned the heart to almost like a jelly substance.
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
7mm-08 ballistic tip
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 05:30:08 PM »
i think that happens to anything hit with a bullet though......i shot a seirra spbt into the shoulder of a few does, and the whole thing b/c's jelly like you are saying.....simply blows everything up!!