Author Topic: After the the kill?  (Read 914 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
After the the kill?
« on: October 31, 2004, 11:04:42 AM »
I live in north central Texas and this weekend was youth deer season, anyway, I took my son hunting Saturday night with no luck.  When we were leaving we noticed a man by the side of the road had a nice 8 point hanging from a tree, this was about 6:30p.m.  I went back the next morning  to work on a feeder and the deer was still there.  It had hung all night it did not get below 65 degrees last night and was there this afternoon and  it was 75 degrees.  Will this deer be fit to eat? Thanks oktx

Offline jhm

After the the kill?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »
I would be vary leary of it and the earlier in the day it was shot the worse it could have gotten, if its not cold we skin and process quick, when I lived in Mich. it was a great pleasure to see how many you could hang on the meat pole but down here there isnt no such thing. :-D  :D    JIM

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
No. Only the most naive or idiotic would waste a whole deer in that manner. Might as well have left the deer in the woods for the coyotes and buzzards.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:13:09 PM »
I would not eat it...I dont understand while anyone would just leave a deer...some  people are so..BEEEEEEEP..... :x
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 08:19:02 AM »
One of the neat things I have taught myself over the years is to filet the deer on the spot of kill. I stash in plastic bags, and load in a backpack.
The antlers are removed with a jack knife gerber saw, and tied to back of pack. For me this is so easy... on knees, and other health considerations for a 58 year old, who althought works out daily, grew tired of 4 or 5 hr. drags in remote locations. I have the freshest venison ever. It goes right into the home fridge, and I fine butcher over 2 or 3 days, so as not to lose any meat. I call my kill in immediately, record my tag #, and all legal formalities. I can hunt bach to the car with my deer on my back...
As I've stated before on this forum, I would never hunt, if I didn't take the whole deer, including heart and liver (separate bags), and ept it fresh!

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
After the the kill?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 04:21:26 PM »
I read somewhere that it needed to be above a certain temp for the meat to tenderize but even when I read that I thought to myself that it wouldn't be on my table after that!  I'd rather cook tough meat in the crock pot to get it nice and tender!
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
After the the kill?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 07:22:22 AM »
One of the neat things I have taught myself over the years is to filet the deer on the spot of kill. I stash in plastic bags, and load in a backpack

One can not do this in all states In MD we must tag it and take it to a check in station with in 24 hours the only thing we can do it a deer / turkey kill is field dress it so I have no choice but to lug it out as whole.

Could something have happened to the guy that put the deer in the tree?
several years ago I shot at a very nice but luckily I missed, a few hours after I got home I was struck down with kidney stones and spent the next week in a hospital and another 3 weeks recovering from the surgery's. now if i should have killed that buck he would have go to waste.

I personally will not hang a deer long if the temp is above 40. what I do is once I get it checked in I skin it and cut it up in large pices little more then quartering it then soak it for several days in a cooler with water and ice. I drain the water and refill it with ice and water every morning and evening. this takes most of the blood out of the meat.

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
After the the kill?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 11:07:57 AM »
Quote from: rickyp
I skin it and cut it up in large pices little more then quartering it then soak it for several days in a cooler with water and ice. I drain the water and refill it with ice and water every morning and evening. this takes most of the blood out of the meat.

Great idea...thanks for the tip ricky.  It's usually cold here during deer season for the most part but we had a warm one not that long ago and I just took mine right to the butcher instead of letting it hang.  If I ever get my garage up I hope to start doing my own...wife frowns upon the idea of doing it in the house!   :roll:
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
After the the kill?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 11:19:24 AM »
We were at the check station in a WMA here on the first day of archery season. It was August 28th in south Florida, temperature in the lower 90's. Two hunters drove up with a hog in the back of a pickup. The time was about 12:30 pm, and they said they had shot it at 6:30 am. They said they weren't going to get out of their stand for a hog. The animal was already stiff, and they said that they were camping in the area, and were going to take it back to camp to butcher and eat for dinner. I'm glad I wasn't invited. I try to get whatever I shoot home and processed as soon as possible.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 11:43:24 AM »
water has a higher oxygen content than air, thus making meat more succeptable to bacteria / spoilage..

Offline JPSaxMan

After the the kill?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 01:00:08 PM »
As nearly everyone else has said...boy that was dumb. To leave meat out above 45 degrees is a sin. That it is unless you're gonna give it to the vagrants outside your house  :) .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
After the the kill?
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 04:25:02 PM »
Had a neighbor just Friday that shot an elk, and left it out all night and didn't do any thing wih it until about noon on Saturday. Granted it was in MT, but the Chinooks were kickin, and it only got down to 57 at night. It was 65 for a high on Friday, and I know the guy shot it early Friday. I wouldn't want to eat it, but this seems to be a regular thing here in MT. Every where else I have lived, we dressed it, skinned it, and then hung it in a cooler all within just a couple of hours.

HogFan

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 06:21:12 AM »
I use the same "ice chest method" Rickyp does and it works GREAT.

Last night (5pm) I shot a nice 8-pt, and had him quartered and soaking by 7:30.  Of course, the straps and loins are treated like they are made of solid gold... they are cut up and in the freezer already.

Keep the meat COMPLETELY submerged, and change the water (and add ice) 2X a day and you won't have any problems.

Hanging wasn't an option...it was close to 80 yesterday.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline JPSaxMan

After the the kill?
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »
TR, could we get a picture of that eight point? That'd be great.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
After the the kill?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 02:01:54 PM »
Unfortunately, the only thing I have left is the head outside.  Gotta cut the horns off to mount tomorrow.  The lady that owns the place I hunt on took a picture, hopefully I can scan it in when she gets it developed.

I can take a picture of the ice-chest full of deer and ice though  :grin:
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!