Author Topic: 22lr versus .25 acp semi-auto  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
22lr versus .25 acp semi-auto
« on: October 20, 2004, 04:17:09 AM »
Hi, I had a Taurus .22 semi-auto and it jammed almost constantly. Which caliber is better in the semi-auto .22 or .25 acp when it comes to not jamming? Also, which ammo is better HP or ball in the 22? and which in .25 acp HP or ball? Thanks.

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 04:36:49 AM »
From my experience managing a gunshop a few years ago the 25 ACP is a more reliable feeder in these small guns.  We would get quite a few of the 22LR's back for jamming.  I think it may have to do (in part) with a lot of the .22 having a wax like coating on them.
I have a Pheonix Arms Raven in 25 ACP that I've put about 200 rounds through.  It hasn't jammed on me yet.  Typically FMJ rounds will be the more reliable feeders.  If your going to use it as a carry gun I would make sure that you try your "carry" load extensively to make sure that there are no feeding problems.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:30:09 AM »
If you are restricted to these calibers, I'd carry ball or solids. I have owned autos in both calibers that were very reliable. One of the issues with rimfires has been reliable ignition. I think with good quality rimfire ammo this is now a nonissue. I have never had a missfire using 22 Mini Mags.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:21:52 PM »
I'll go with Savage.  I own pocket rockets in each caliber and have not had a problem.  My 21A has better than 1K rounds through it and it still keeps tickin'.  I carry high speed solids exclusively and practice with std velocity solids and the use of solids may help feeding reliability, although I have not experienced jams with any of the other types either in the 22.  The 950 (25 acp) has never had a problem, period.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
25 ACP vs 22 LR
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 02:12:23 PM »
I will say the 25 ACP is the better of the two in pocket pistols as it will feed better and have more reliable ignition.  That said, an awlful lot of these pocket pistols are low end stuff that will jam with either.  So the pistol will make a bigger difference than the cartrdige.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 05:35:18 AM »
I owned one of the little Taurus semi-autos in .22 caliber.  It never bobbled and was quite accurate also.  I used it for a play gun, owning much better guns for carry.  If you need a very small gun for carry, you cannot do better than the Kel-tec P32.  Its as small as many .25s and lighter than most.  I'd go that way.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 06:45:12 AM »
If you're carrying this gun for last-ditch self-defense, I'd go with the 25, for one reason only:  Glasers aren't available in 22!  A lot of my old narco buddies carried little tiny Beretta 25's with Glasers years back, and never had a problem with them.  The ammo isn't cheap, but it's your keyster we're talking about, and you only get one, so protect it!   :wink:

If the gun is going to serve multiple purposes, I'd look for a reliable 22.  Plinking with a 25ACP gets pricey, fast!

PJ the Thrifty
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 02:26:51 PM »
As the two subject calibers are not reliable penetrators at best, I'd stay away from the Glaser and Mag Safe ammo that is designed to fragment on impact.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 10:57:22 AM »
:cb2: The .25 is so pitifully under powered I'd go with the .22. However, I'd put a few hundred rounds through it to get it broken in, and find out what it likes to shoot reliably before you start carrying it. Go with something hot like the mini-mags. This will help it cycle better. Don't give up on it too soon. I have heard too many stories about .25s to ever trust one with my life. I agree with 44 Man, and go with the Kel-Tec. However, if the .32 is good, the new .380 is even better.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
Frangible ammunition (Glasser type stuff) is, in my not so humble opinion, useless except in a few very limited applications (inside airplanes for example) because it does what it is supposed to.... break into little pieces. Those little pieces don't penetrate deep enough to do major damage. And frangible ammo has a tendency to break into little pieces on heavy clothing and not penetrate the perp at all.

I understand the logic of using frangible ammo intending the round to stay inside the perp and limit the danger to innocents from rounds that pass through. However, rare is the person who is able to plot the line of fire for a bullet that can travel many yards and see if anyone is in that line of fire while trying to deal with a life and death situation. So even with frangible ammo any misses have the possibility of hitting an innocent anyway. But the key words were "life and death situation". The first order of business is to stop the threat to life and frangible ammo has a low chance of causing major or fatal damage to the perp causing the perp to stop what they are doing. The only middle of the road option that makes any sense to me is to use Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) ammo that expands giving a good chance it will stay inside the perp but still penetrates well enough to cause major damage to stop the perp from endangering other people's lives. Using ball ammo (FMJ) does great for penetration... and sometimes over penetration..... Having said all that.... any missed shots with any type of ammo could still endanger innocents for hundreds of yards and no one has the time to check the area for hundreds of yards to insure missed rounds don't hit anything important when faced with a bad guy intent on making them a statistic. Luckily, it is rare a bystander gets hit by a missed round. Yes, it happens, but in a shoot or die situation the options are few.

IMO using frangible ammo is akin to throwing a handfull of sand instead of throwing a rock. Why carry sand in your gun instead of rocks?
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 01:20:39 PM »
Amen, Bike Nut!
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 02:02:57 PM »
:cb2: We had a gentleman in our fair city try to commit suicide with a .25 by shooting himself in the temple. When he didn't die the first time, he shot himself again, same place. Guess what. Didn't work the second time, so he tried yet again. After shooting himself in the head three times, he changed his mind, and called 911. They came and got him, took him to the hospital, and as luck would have it, success finally came when he died on the operating table.

Now folks, I know every case is different. However, after three well placed shots at very close range, and it takes him that long to die . . . I don't have a great deal of faith in the .25 being able to stop someone determined to take my life. I know it's bound to have killed a lot of people, but—from what I have read (and I don't believe it all)—the .22 has killed more.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 02:29:18 PM »
I have a Browning and a 2 Colts in the 25 ACP.  I have jamming/feed problems with all of them when using anything but HB ammo.

I have tried all types of ammo, same results.  A friend recommended I try the Hornady Custom 35 gr Jacketed Hollow Point, said it would feed and perform better than a .380 at less than 15 yards.  I bought a box, it don't feed either, I went back to a 50gr FMJ round nose, they feed great, no jam problems.

I talked a local gun "doctor", he said I should try to polish the loading ramp, that didn't help.  I'm of the opinion now that the guns will only digest the HB so I'm sticking with it.

The Hornady is a good shooter loaded one at at time, but that's a hell of a way to participate in a gun battle............

As for carrying the .25, I have, but it is the last choice.  It may work in a pinch, but I still go for a larger bore for the stopping power.

Offline Doc TH

.22 vs .25
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »
There is probably not a lot of ballistic difference between the cartridges, although the Tactical Firearms site tests of Stingers suggests they may be the best choice.  Having said that, you can get in a lot more practice with .22s than .25s for the same costs.
My personal experience does not suggest that .22 ammo is unreliable.   I have had only one failure to fire in the last five years of moderately frequent shooting of rimfires.  But if that is a concern in a small personal defense pistol, I suggest using good quality target ammo which is virtually certain.  I have had only one jam in my Beretta 21A since I bought it nearly 15 years ago.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 05:35:04 PM »
Stinger vs. Viper vs. Quik-shok in a Beretta 21A

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

I've used the Remington Viper in rifles and they punch a nice hole. Good load for rabbits and such.