Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite....  (Read 812 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Favorite and Least Favorite....
« on: November 06, 2004, 10:15:26 AM »
It's been a while and we have new hunters joining all the time so;

What is your Favorite Big Game animal for eating and your Least Favorite?  My favorite Big Game animal for eating is young Cow Elk.  Steaks, chops, roasts, burger, etc. itÂ’s hard to beat.  My least favorite would be Pronghorn Antelope.  I have taken a couple of these that the hounds would not eat.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 10:52:48 AM »
:D My favorite big game animal to eat is a moose. The moose I got in Wyoming was the best tasting big game I've had. The mule deer were on  or near the bottom of the list. Pronghorns have been great on the grill, even my wife would eat them. I'm sure it makes a difference what they've been eating and how much exercise they had right before they got shot. :cb1:

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 04:12:46 AM »
I think that wild boar taste darn good if done right.  The worst that I have had is the sage brush eating antelope.  I fed it to the dog and the dog bit me.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 10:47:31 AM »
The antelope we got last year were fantastic.  But they were not the sagebrush eating kind.  These were of the winter wheat variety.  Mild as any game I have ever had.  But for my favorite . . . it would be caribou.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline gallatin

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 03:46:40 PM »
I was building a hiker's trail over Moose Pass, Ak  in the 70's ,one morning while having breakfast in front of the tent we saw something glint on the mountain above us. It was a pair of hunters( it was his pack frame) any way this hunter takes a 10yr. old billy, when he comes by the camp he has only the head and cape. Over coffee we chid him about leaving the meat to rot. To his good credit the next morn we see the glint again. Its he and his partner packing out the meat. Over dinner he confesses he'd never had such a fine meal! I'd have to agree that that billy was some of the best meat I've ever tasted. My deer out of the Palouse country of eastern Washington was nothing to sneeze at
John

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:24:08 AM »
Springbuck or kudu backstrap over hot coals in the wilds of Namibia.  :grin:

Failing that, I'll take a youngish cow elk and be happy as a pig in slop.  Wait a minute, maybe I'll take that pig in slop too...

So many critters, so little time.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 01:12:42 PM »
DesertRam,

How does one do backstrap over hot coals in Africa?  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 04:39:28 AM »
Hey longwinters, is that a trick question?  The same as anywhere else!  :-D

Well, the skinners removed the entire backstraps while taking care of the animal (this was called the "Hunter's Cut" and was the part of the animal we as hunters were entitled to under our PH's contract with the "community").  They were chilled, then marinated by the camp cook/chef (I don't know what with).  After a hard day hunting, we'd sit around a nice fire (burned something called leadwood), drink a few beers (hmmmm, nothing like a cold Tafel to wash down the dust), and wait for the fire to cook down to coals (it took one shower and three beers for this to happen).  

Our PH had a grill made from four pieces of pipe (legs) and some expanded metal (cooking surface).  He'd flop that over the coals, scrub it off a bit, and toss the whole backstrap on it.  Turn if a few times so you don't have a cooked side and a raw side, then pull it off and eat.  Pretty simple.  And quite possibly the best eatin' I've ever had! :)   I can't wait to return.