Author Topic: Help!  (Read 526 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help!
« on: November 08, 2004, 08:21:53 AM »
I took a shot at a nice buck yesterday and due to my never killing a deer, I think I may have rushed the shot.  The buck mule kicked and I still felt like I had made a good shot so my son and I went to find the trail and there was no blood no hair no tracks no deer.  It was almost dark and we looked until we could not see with our lights.  I'am sick to my stomach.  what do you think?  oktx

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 08:35:49 AM »
Go back today and give it a look! It should be there.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 10:22:47 AM »
That kick you mention generally means a solid hit in heart/lung area. Deer is almost assuredly dead within 100-150 yards of where it stood.

What were you using? If anything over a .243 with a bullet of 120 grains or more you should have gotten an exit. If so there should be blood and tissue on far side where it was standing. Blood doesn't always start right away. But if you follow the direction of travel you should find it within 50 yards.

Go find the deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Help!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:55:29 AM »
If you dont find blood, start gridding.  Get a couple of others to help, if you can, and get 20 yds apart or so.  Then just start walking in a straight line looking for any sign.  Go probably 200 yds then turn around and come back doing the same thing over new ground.  Continue on until you have covered at least 200 square yards.  The way it sounds from the deers reaction, you should find him.

Good luck,

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline JPSaxMan

Help!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 01:46:11 PM »
Oh my...I feel your pain from here. I can't give ya much more advice than what everyone else here has given ya and I hope you find that buck. Take care.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Help!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »
I am taking off work to try to find him.  I used a 30-06 180 gr.  I know the meat is ruined but I just need to know. thanks, oktx

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Help!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 01:56:20 PM »
almost all of my deer ( not that it has been that many) I have shot have not left a blood trail any hair or any other signs.
The last deer I shot was at about 10 feet and I was on the ground. the shot was Barnes 300 gr sabots with 100 grs of black powder This shot destroyed the heart and lungs and left a very large exit hole. I never found any hair flesh or blood but the deer was dead with in 50 feet or so of where I shot it.
I was thinking the other day :?  at least part of the reason for no blood is because the ones that ran where shot from the ground and straight on. now if I shot them at an downward angle and put the exit hole down low in the chest the deer would not take as long to fill up and start to leave a blood trail.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Help!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 02:13:29 PM »
When you go, look for buzzards perched in the brush or on the ground. If you see any near where you shot the deer, it almost certainly will be close to the kill.

While a mule kick is certainly a characteristic of a good hit, it can sometimes indicate a grazing shot under the belly or also a gut shot. Hair and blood can be amazingly easy to miss, especially if you miscalculated where the deer was standing when you shot. Any kind of vital hit with your load should have blown hair and little chunks of heart/lung tissue along with a splatter of blood out the far side. Check closer and further from your position than where you think the deer was standing. One day later there may not be much left, and it will be doubly hard to find. You do owe it to the deer to look thoroughly.

I use a "pie" grid when searching for a hit deer. The spot where the deer was standing at the shot is the center of the pie with a radius of 200 yards (its very rare for a fatally hit deer to run further than that). Divide the pie into eight slices. Eliminate any slices of the pie that you were observing, so that you know the deer isn't in them. Walk the edges of the remaining slices, paying particular attention to clumps of bushes, brushpiles, tall grass, and especially prickly pear bunches. You will have to backtrack over the outer edge of every other slice. More than likely you will find the deer if it was fatally wounded.

If you don't find it, you certainly aren't the first or last. It does hurt, but bear in mind that in nature nothing is wasted, the buck will feed many different organisms and return as nutrients to start the cycle again. Good luck searching.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.