Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Most Productive Deer Grunt Call??  (Read 905 times)

Offline Dave1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What Is Your Favorite Most Productive Deer Grunt Call??
« on: October 19, 2004, 07:28:39 AM »
I lost my old grunt call that sounded good and worked so well on these Florida whitetails and am now on the hunt for a new one.  I would like to hear what brand/model grunt call have you found that works well and is productive?

Thanks for any info and feedback.

Dave
davisalf@aol.com

Offline savageT

What Is Your Favorite Most Productive Deer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 07:39:03 AM »
Dave1,
I picked up a small Primos call that is a no-hands model.  The reed can be adjusted for bleets down to mature stag grunts by moving the o-ring.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 08:54:40 AM »
I own several grunt calls. The ONLY one that's ever brought a deer in is a really old Primos. That call has been with me for at least 15 years and more likely more. It has called in a lot of deer to include my first bow killed buck and my biggest buck to date taken with rifle. A lot of others along the way have come to it.

I have now bought one of their new Hardwood Grunter calls that appears much like it in looks and makes a sound that to my ears seems fairly close but obviously not the same. I'll try both this season and see how the new one performs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 06:15:31 PM »
Not a grunt call but I used to have a favorite old bleet call.  A Faulk's P60.
Carried it for years but one day my dog got hold of it and chewed it in half.  I was never quite the same until one day I came across another one on e-Bay and snatched it up.
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:46:09 AM »
It seems others have had an old deer grunt call that worked very well and cannot be replaced with the newer products.  I am in same boat.

I have tried many of the newer calls in the store and they just don't sound the same or as good to my old ears.  Maybe the deer won't notice the difference but I suspect otherwise.

I have bought then tried a couple of the new popular brand calls in the woods with calm deer that I could see and had no response other than an occasional curious look.

Has the deer grunt call technology gone south on us?  I am still looking for a good one that has that right sound to it.

If anyone knows of a good one, be sure to post info here.

Thanks, Dave1

Offline BnSC

calls
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:35:44 AM »
I'm in the same boat.. I had a really good one that eventually just broke.. I can't remember what kind it was...

In the past few years, I've gone to the HS Calls  True Talker.. I has no
o-rings to adjust.  The tube above the reed is flexible so you can custom tune your call by pressing the membrane down onto the reed.  It has rubber bands on the outside that you can use for markers for your favorite pitches.. you can go from bleat to grunt by just moving your finger..  you can make it sound like you have herd of deer around you if you want .lol...

It has successfully called deer for me - does and bucks...

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 12:55:32 AM »
I have used the Bow Grunter Plus for around 5 years and it's the only one I have used, that I know has brought deer in!
I have turned deer around with this call!
It is advertised on the Outdoor Channel, on "A-Way Outdoors"!

It is adjustable from fawn to dominant buck!
It is an "inhale" type call, so it won't freeze up!

Works for me!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 02:58:36 AM »
True talker works for me, especially the bleat; But my favorite is Woods-Wise 6 in 1 and Woods-wise friction call.  I use friction call for long range broadcast grunts.  They are starting to appear in better sporting goods stores.  http://www.WOODSWISE.com  1-800-735-8182.

Offline KYsquirrelsniper

• http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 10:31:09 PM »
I've had good luck with the HS True Talker and an old K&H E-Z Grunter that I've had for several years. I like the True Talker just a bit better though, and it's responsible for the deer that's pictured on my site (link in sig).
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html