Author Topic: Shooter?  (Read 641 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shooter?
« on: November 03, 2004, 05:20:07 PM »

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Shooter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 05:49:32 PM »
You damn SKIPPY!!
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooter?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 06:44:49 PM »
Would be for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Shooter?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:52:31 AM »
It depends on your management goals. If you are trying to take trophy-class animals, definitely hold off another year or two. This appears to be a young deer (2.5 or 3.5 probably) that has the potential to be a very unique trophy. He would only score about in the 120s right now (B&C), but with more mass, spread, and a few more points, which are likely with a few more years, he could get into the 150-160 class. With those almost-touching tips of his main beams he would make a very classy trophy.

If you just want a nice buck and aren't concerned about trophy antlers, then he is by all means a shooter.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooter?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »
Dunno Huntsman. My take on that is he is definitely not a 2.5 and mostly likely a 3.5 or 4.5 year on. No indication of a swayed back so not in the 5.5 or older class. Mass and diameter of bases tells me he is not a 2.5 tho so at least 3.5.

The photo I assume was taken in Texas because it was on Kevin's site and the feeder in back ground. Good clues it is a TX buck. Most places managing for trophies never consider an 8 point a trophy. He woud be a cull or management buck on most TX ranches especially under trophy management. The narrow spread and over lapping main beam tips further make him a non trophy quality animal by most trophy management standards. I would agree he is unlikely to score over 120 or at least not much over. But I seriously doubt he would ever gain a lot more. Maybe a 140 some day IF he is in fact only 3.5 now and is left.

But darn few ranches managing for trophy bucks would want his genes being passed on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Shooter?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 06:55:44 AM »
The buck is on a non-managed piece of land about 195 acres in Jack county Texas.  If I see him I will take him before someone else does I guess.  Thanks for input. oktx.

Offline Mohawk

Shooter?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 07:23:49 AM »
In Jack County, yes.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Shooter?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 09:00:29 AM »
GB,

Tough call on age with no more than we have to go on. Size of bases, spread, and how much mass carries through the main beams can generally be used, but not always. He is light on mass past the G2s and his bases are probably not over 4 inches. This could easily be a 2.5 year-old if nutrition is good and genetics are decent. Could also be 3.5 or 4.5, but not likely. Most 3.5s and older have more roughage at the bases and would likely have more spread unless genetically inferior. Body mass would also be more evident and ear margins not likely still smooth and unblemished. I've seen a couple of 3.5s and 4.5s with less mass than this deer, but many more 2.5s with as much or more mass. He is showing some signs of having kickers, with the one small kicker on the side of the left brow tine. Basic eights like this will often develop kickers or forks when they get older, making nice racks even without being basic tens.

Only on very intensely managed ranches would this be a cull buck unless he did turn out to be 3.5 or more. There is a lot of BS out there about trophy management, genetics, nutrition, etc. One of the biggest myths is that spikes and eight points are inferior genetically. TPWD spent millions and ten years on a big study of penned deer at Kerr WMA where they "proved" that spikes are genetically inferior. Now they don't want to recognize that their research has not been duplicated in wild deer population studies, but rather contradicted by two very extensive studies. By far the most significant factor in antler quality is still AGE, followed by nutrition and genetics. I would estimate that 75% of all bucks would develop nice antlers (140 B&C plus) if allowed to reach age six on good range in a balanced population.

Anyway, this deer seems to be a nice buck to OKTX given his management scenario, and there is nothing wrong with taking him. Trophy antlers need not be the goal of every hunter, but I wanted to give my opinion if that were the case.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.