Author Topic: .410s shoot high?  (Read 484 times)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
.410s shoot high?
« on: November 09, 2004, 08:46:37 PM »
Just thinking about my experience with my new .410 and got to thinking that the reason it may shoot about 8 inches high at 20 yards is that the extreme taper of the .410 barrel from the massive breech to the muzzle puts the bead lower than it would on a 20 or a 12-gauge barrel. Anyone else find this to be true?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
.410s shoot high?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:22:18 PM »
Is the bead extra tall? the one on my dad's sticks up about twice as tall as my 20 and 12 guage barrels. I've never had a 410 but what you are saying makes sense to me.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.410s shoot high?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 02:41:57 PM »
I have found with mine that you have to really keep your cheek down low so that the bead barely peeks over the chamber area of the barrel. Otherwise, if you can see any of the barrel, you'll be shooting high.

Offline single shot shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.410s shoot high?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 04:25:51 AM »
i have owned 3 youth .410's and all shot high (really high!) the reason being they use the same barrel plan as on the full size shotguns but they modify it to a shorter barrel causing it to shoot high. i had one 20 ga with a short barrel that shot allright but traded it off. if you got a higher  bead that should cure it.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots