Author Topic: No guns at school  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

• Trade Count: (0)
No guns at school
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 05:02:01 AM »
Paladin,

I think you're on to something.

Ever notice that the only "absolute ethic" in this world of "situational ethics" is that all violence is bad?  Some people literally don't distinguish between a slap, a punch, and a bullet hole.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline Stillhuntn

No guns at school
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 04:35:05 PM »
When I was in school (over 20 years ago) all the trucks in the parking lot had rear window gun racks and usually a gun or two in them.  Granted I went to school in the DEEP (deeper than Graybeard) South, so things were looked upon a little differently.  Most everyone was associated in someway with farming or livestock raising and contained hunters.  We all knew the propose of guns and the power that was contained within the cartridge.  When I received my first high power rifle, a Marlin 336C, in   30-30, my father wanted to so impress me with the power that we shot through a 1/4" piece of plate steel.  This shot was from 25 yards.  What impressed me the most was the perfect hole through the metal.
When kids had arguments in school it was settled the old fashion way. Circle drawn in the dirt and let the punches fly.  Last one standing was the winner.  If you were on the football team, the coach would arrange a little game of "bull in the ring".  The two fighters would, in full football gear, basically block, tackle and beat the hell out of each other.  When it was over, it was over and forgotten.  No grudges, no revenge.
Life has greatly changed and in some cases not for the better.
Sorry if I rambled.
Rick
Lord, grant me the ability to speak soft words today for tomorrow
I may have to chew up and swallow these words.

Offline R. Tillery

• Avid Poster
Re: Jumping In
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2004, 10:04:23 AM »
Quote from: Daveinthebush
Federal law states that firearms are not allowed within 500 feet of a school.  

It's my understanding that Clinton's federal 'No guns at school' law never went into effect.
'I hope that's not my ivory-handled Colt your fingers are ticklin'!'

Offline Daveinthebush

No guns at school
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 11:45:25 AM »
There were three laws covering this back to 1964.  Congress passed 2 laws almost back-to-back.

The Gun-Free Schools Act

Recently, by a decision of 5-4, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a case that a federal law involving guns and schools was unconstitutional. This ruling has caused some confusion because the Congress had in fact passed two acts on the subject and the Supreme Court had ruled only one unconstitutional.

Educators should be aware, however, that Congress passed another law just last year similarly entitled the Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994. This law was a part of the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994, which itself was part of the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). Under this law, every state is required to have in effect by October 20, 1995, a state law requiring local educational, agencies to expel from school any student found in possession of a gun. (An exception is made for students with disabilities under either the IDEA or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. These students can be expelled for only 45 days.) The state laws may also permit the local education agency's chief executive officer (presumably the superintendent) to modify the expulsion requirement on a case-by-case basis. This law is still in full effect.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline R. Tillery

• Avid Poster
No guns at school
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2004, 06:59:11 AM »
I teach in Tennessee and have a valid CCW. As a former LEO, I regularly carried a concealed weapon on campus during the course of my job as a teacher. Currently, under TN law, I am still permitted to have a weapon ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, as long as the weapon isn't 'displayed'. The 'intent' of TN's law is to prevent STUDENTS from bringing weapons to school.
'I hope that's not my ivory-handled Colt your fingers are ticklin'!'

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
No guns at school
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2004, 10:40:34 AM »
When are the educators and the administrators going to figure out (like my 12-year old daughter did) that if everyone is unarmed, criminals can pick off kids like sheep at a slaughterhouse?  Read the history of the school shootings, the only time the shooters stopped the carnage was when they were driven from the scene by armed resistance.  I'd be willing to bet there are armed guards at schools in Israel, are their kids more precious than ours?  No, we're just too naive to think it will happen here, until it does.  Then the media blames the gun, or society, or anyone but the parents.  In the case of the Columbine killers, they had firearms and explosives IN THEIR OWN HOMES, and their parents had no clue.  How is that possible?

Until we put God back in our schools, and punishment back into parenting, this is only going to get worse.  Kids need boundaries, and it's up to the parents to set them.  Leave it up to the schools, and you've already failed.

Rant off.  Going home to my precious little ones, who go to church because they like it, get good grades because they want to, and shoot well because bad shooting is not tolerated in my family!  Besides, practice is just good fun, and good sport.

Papajohn the Proud Parental Pontificator
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Old Griz

No guns at school
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 11:04:09 AM »
:cb2: I seem to remember the student that went on a shooting rampage in Pearl, MS was stopped by an assistant principal who ran to his car and got a gun. Hmmmm . . . I wonder if his car was parked 1000 feet from school property, or if it was in his assigned parking spot near the entrance of the school?  :eek:

In this day and age I would like to see qualified teachers with carry permits allowed to have weapons at school. (Note, I said QUALIFIED. I know some teachers I wouldn't trust with a loaded rubber band!) I live in a dangerous city—#2 in violent crime, and #2 in burglary—according to the FBI. Almost 2 carjackings a day here. The only time I'm without a gun is when I'm driving to and from school, and I have to go through one of the really dangerous parts of town to get there. I feel like my right to self protection and the right to keep and bear arms is being seriously infringed! I would like to at least be able to keep it locked away in my car while at school—like a certain assistant principal in Pearl, MS.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."