Author Topic: 1858 Remington Reassembly  (Read 1090 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Trade Count: (0)
1858 Remington Reassembly
« on: November 14, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I recently purchased two new Pietta 1858 Remingtons from Cabela's.  I'm not new to blackpowder, but I'm new to cap and ball revolvers and I have a question concerning reassembly.  I followed the disassembly instructions found in this forum, but I'm unable to replace the mainspring.  Can someone please provide me some assistance with this task?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rick
I defy the annals of chivalry to furnish the record of a life more wild and perilous than that of a Rocky Mountain trapper.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:13:39 PM »
Oh, it can be a bugger!  :)
But once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.
First, insert the top of the spring under the roller of the hammer. Then, apply pressure to the base of the spring to slip it into the cut in the grip frame.
If you can't apply enough pressure with fingers alone, use wide-nose pliers to GENTLY compress the spring a bit until it lines up with the cut in the frame. Then slide it sideways into the cut.
I have an Uberti copy of the 1858 Remington. Sometimes I get it in by hand, other days it requires gentle comopression with the pliers.  :roll:
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline MountainMan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 04:18:51 PM »
Gatofeo,

Thank you for your reply.  I made one more attempt to reassemble the mainspring this evening, and was successful.  I used a little more force with the pliers.  I wonder if the mainspring vice sold on Taylor's website will work with 1858 Remingtons.

Thanks again,
Rick
I defy the annals of chivalry to furnish the record of a life more wild and perilous than that of a Rocky Mountain trapper.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 10:06:26 AM »
Hmmm .. I don't know. I bought my Uberti-made copy of the Remington 1858 in .44 caliber a few years ago. It was my first Remington and I got quite a rude shock when I realized that the spring had to be compressed to take out and put in. Not like a Colt, where removing its screw lets it flop to the side for easy removal.
Later, I bought a Pietta copy of the 1858 Remington in .36 caliber. Same story.
I wasn't aware of a spring compressor available for the Remington. If it were reasonably priced, I'd think of it. But a pair of wide-nose pliers near the base of the spring works well, without damage.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."