Author Topic: 6 deer so far this year. How you all doing??  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
6 deer so far this year. How you all doing??
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:23:08 AM »
I have got 6 deer so far this year. A 7 point, a 6 point and 4 doe's. I will have a good supply of back straps and jerky. I am also donating to the hunters for the hungry. Delaware and Maryland have a deer problem and I am doing my part to lower the numbers.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
6 deer so far this year. How you all doing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:32:11 AM »
No taunting please  :grin: .  Im still lookin for number 1.  I shoulda shot a doe that came under my stand opening day of muzzel loader season.  For some reason I just let it walk.  Ive seen 4 more deer, all of which I could have shot if I had a better firearm (meaning my scoped slug gun rather than open sighted cap lock.)  Im not complainin' though.  Im see'n deer, so its only a matter of time.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 07:04:51 AM »
Went the 5th-15th of November.. Passed on 20-30 does and fawns on ouir land and several small bucks..  Ended up taking a doe on state land.  10 deer were hanging on our pole by the end of the week, 6 pt, 2 big 8's, nubber, 4 does, 2 fawns.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:23:26 AM »
Congrats :D

Here in Penn. we have 11 days left...And the "fever" is starting to set in :wink:
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »
Hasn't started yet for me, Thanksgiving day, and except for a about a 2 week break runs right up to the last weekend of February.  Can't wait.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 02:48:44 PM »
Got 3 so far, all does, with the bow. Firearms starts for me Monday in NY & then its bow agan till Jan 31 in CT.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:54:30 AM »
6 deer  :shock:  i havent got one or even seen notin within rang only one doe out of range in buck seson. mayb ill get one. if i do it will be my first yet peroid.tryed for 3 years

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 03:49:28 PM »
Yikes. I guess u do got a problem in Maryland w/ dem deer. Sounds to me like u need to send them up to PA so #1 and I can have some fun  :)  :-D . But no luck. Almost had one (twice)...but both bad instances. 5 days as of Wednesday till the general PA rifle season. So...there's my hope until the end of December. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline randually

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »
I got two in Wis. this weekend.  One with my Walmart special, Vanguard 270 and one with my SKS.  Our group got 6, 5 does & 1 button.  We were in earn a buck area so we had to shoot a doe before a buck.  The SKS worked well in the timber because you could hardly see without the snow and a scope made it worse.  Everything blended together.  Iowa season opens next month so now I have to get the shotgun ready.  Good luck to the rest of you.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 01:38:07 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Yikes. I guess u do got a problem in Maryland w/ dem deer. Sounds to me like u need to send them up to PA so #1 and I can have some fun  :)  :-D . But no luck. Almost had one (twice)...but both bad instances. 5 days as of Wednesday till the general PA rifle season. So...there's my hope until the end of December. Take care!  :D

Maryland and Delaware have a deer problem. I am hunting one field in Delaware and I see doe's everyday. I got 6 of my 7 deer in Delaware and one in Maryland. Maryland firearm season opens November 27th. In Delaware I can only get doe's now, I filled both of my buck tags. i will wait for another big buck in Maryland. I am getting my 10 point mounted.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 08:24:23 AM »
I took two nice bucks last week in Arkansas.  A 13" 7 pt and a 18" 8 pt that green scored 120.  I saw (counted) 45 deer in 9 days of hunting.  About half were bucks, but the state law is at least 3 points on one side to be legal, or a doe.  No interest in shooting a doe during the rut.  Bow season stays open there from Oct. 1 to Feb 28, so I figure if I want to shoot a doe, then I'll do it after Christmas.

I see a lot of sign at my home (farm) in Louisiana.  I hope to get another nice buck here when the rut starts up after Thanksgiving.

Good Hunting

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 10:44:17 AM »
You poor poor guys,
  all those deer and and only weeks and weeks of hunting? I feel so sorry for you. Here in Arizona we dont have to worry about where to put all of the deer that we kill. My season was all of four days long, bucks only. I hunted hard and never saw any antlers. Laugh all you want but just wait untill next year. I MAY get drawn again!!!
Elwood
Vae Victis

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:57:17 AM »
Yikes. That sucks Elwood  :cry: . Makes me take a serious look at how lucky I was to get in more than four days of hunting out of the two weeks that it was offered. And that's ALL for you? No other seasons and whatnot? You oughta move out here to PA where u got backwoods and plenty of season to kill. Take care.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline od green

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 03:39:41 AM »
Took four so far, a nice 4 pt and two small does during M/L season and a button buck last fri of shot gun. can't wait for dec doe.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 06:22:11 AM »
I have taken two so far. I have all doe permits this year. I have six tags and will pick up two more. I always help out the inlaws with some deer meat and we love it as well. Where I hunt the does are hugh this year. The yearling are almost as big as the adults. The ranchers are feeding them well. I saw one hugh Mule deer buck and one dandy whitetail buck. Maybe next year on the bucks. The land owners are having trouble with to many does so I decided to go that route this year. I have way more horns than I need anyway and the hunt, not the size of the animal is what gets me going.
shot placement is everything.

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Deer down this year
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 08:29:15 AM »
This has been my best year for both number and quality. I got one in October (3 x 1 buck )  with my muzzleloader during the annual thanksgiving (canadian) visit of the inlaws. it was my last night and when I smoked the little buck according to my father in-law the big buck of the area jumped back into the bush I could not see it from where I was.

An in the last three weeks I have gotten 4 . Buck and doe of both whitetail and mule deer. The whitetail was a small 5 x 5 and the mulie was an almost wall hanger a  4 x 4 it had the height and mass but it was at least 6 -8  inches too narrow.

Last friday was pretty much deer hunting heaven 4" of fresh (< 7 hours old) snow and the rut was going full steam. Even though I filled my remaining tags by 10 it was a great day to be out.

There might be another 2 doe tags in my future  in a last season mz hunt I don't really need more meat. But there is a piece of land close to home that I want access to and I am trying to work out a deal that has me shoot and butcher a deer for the guy who gets me access.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 06:14:14 PM »
Doe opening day of muzzleloader season
Buck the second day
Buck trailing a doe in heat the second day of rifle season.
Doe yesterday
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 04:43:02 AM »
Damned rittle, looks to me like u got it made. Now it's only 2 more days until the open season here in PA. I'm dying for Monday. Hopefully that'll be the day if not one or two days after that. Good luck to ya'll!  :D
JP

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 11:13:45 AM »
delete

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 03:48:35 PM »
Ive gotten two........went hunting twice and killed two deer, cant average any better than that.......but I guess I do live in the "Sportsman's Paradise" so what else can I ask for!!?? (deer are everywhere!!?? :grin: )

BTW, they were both does, taken with my 30-06, one weighing 135 lbs., and another 120 lbs.

Good luck with the rest of the season, ours just started so hopefully I can bag 3 or 4 more!!

:D
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline w00kie98

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 08:34:30 AM »
Chalk me up for 4. 2 does and 2 bucks.

Had to defend myself on 1 of the bucks, he came around the end of a dozer deck with 2 does. He was "carrying the mail" and coming right at me. Hit him square in the chest at about 10yards w\ my .270. Didnt go over 20 yards.

Second buck was the longest, about 225 yards. He ran about 30 yards.

My Dad threatend to take my 270 away!!!

Is there anything better than fresh backstraps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lt. with a compass and a map"

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 01:16:42 PM »
The Friday after Thanksgiving I filled my second tag (and my last buck tag). I guess it will have to be does or nothing from here on out.
I got the spike I posted about on the handgun hunting forum in Oct. and the last one was a decent 8 point.
BruceP

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=446
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline trophyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 02:55:10 PM »
I got a doe muzzleloading season and passed on several decent bucks one a 150 ten and a 130 eight finally taken a ten that green scores 169 5/8 its got a 21 inch spread and the main beams are 27 1/2 with 12 inch g2s my best buck so far.  i should say the only reason i passed on the 150 ten is the light was almost gone and he was about 140 yards away.  Im glad i passed on it now.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 03:30:31 PM »
wow where are you hunting!!!???

Sounds like a place I went up to in Louisiana called "Davis Island"......they pass on anything under 160 class........at least the men who really want record bucks......they are really trying hard this year to only kill 160+ deer, and all the cull bucks......a cull buck there is ANY mature 8 point.......that means it could score 150 and be an eight point, and its a cull buck (as long as it is mature 4 1/2+ years old)........they found a shed during the summer, and if it is identical on the other side, then the scope is 183!!! Wow, too bad its not the normal place I hunt!! I was only there for a doe management thing, but the conditions got too bad, and the deer werent really moving......they did have a few videos (they always bring a camera or tape recorder).......and I got to see a really nice looking 3-3 1/2 year old mainframe 8-10 point (couldnt really tell) that probably scpred about 140.....but they just want it to grow up some more.......

A guy did see a monster (in my books)......he said it would have scored prob. about 155 so he passe on it.......he said that it was a 8 or 10 point, cant remember, big bases, but the biggest thing was the inside spread......he said it is the widest deer he has EVER seen, and hes seen some biggins'.......he said it was probably 28 inch INSIDE spread!! LOL, unluckily this was the only time he has ever forgotten his caerma, and he watched to hoss at 40 yards.......i would have shot it, and so would almost anyone else, but like I said, "I guess it was bug enough for him"

Sry, I am kinda rambling, but you said how bug those deer were, and it reminded me of those......169 class is giant........idk how it happened but my uncle went on a bowhunting trip to Indiana, and killed a 173.....havent seen the mount yet, but it should be pretty nice!! :lol:  :)

Good luck with the rest of the season everyone!!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline trophyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 03:39:09 PM »
we have been passing on smaller bucks for awhile now and finally got surrounding land owners to do the same now were finally starting to see some nice ones

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 04:05:16 PM »
Six deer?  That sounds great.  My property is in a three deer county (1 Buck, two doe), but if I seen a good one, I might just have to fill out my grand daughters tag.

Now talking bout lucky, my brother who lives in Mississippi said he can kill one a day for 42 days.  He also hunts his in-law's place in Bama, said they have a 108 day season, and he can kill two a day.  He said he took about 35 deer last year between the two places.

I like deer meat, and usually only kill two a season here, (different story when I have the opportunity to go out of state) I usually make an entire deer (except back strap) into sausage, breakfast and summer for snacking, and always have a little hamburger.  Unless I give them away, I don't think I could handle more than two but I sure enjoy hunting em, but I think next year I will do most of my hunting with a camera, maybe take one for meat.