Author Topic: Checking out the competition  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Checking out the competition
« on: October 29, 2004, 05:31:52 AM »
I would like to get my daughter a youth combo for her 6th birthday next May, and was doing some comparison shopping.  Found out a couple of interesting things:

1) Rossi is working on implementing a barrel program like H&R/NEF.

2) Rossi offers a .410 barrel with a modified choke.

3) Rossis are lighter than H&R/NEFs  (a good thing in a youth gun I would think.)  

4) Rossis are less expensive.

5) Rossis come with a lifetime warrentee also.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Rogmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 07:22:49 AM »
Brett,  I bought the 410/22 combo last Christmas for my then 10 year old son. I sold it several months later. The only problem I had was that the safety is made of pot metal, and it broke. We sent it back to Rossi and to their credit they installed a new one, when it came back, I then sold it. I did not like the fact that the safety is made of such cheap material, made me wonder what other corners where cut. Just my experience, maybe others have been more fortunate than me.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:44:54 PM »
I have a Rossi 223/20 combo and I like it. Maybe that safety lever was defective but Rossi fixed it. Look at it this way: That is a safety that will not break on a NEF----oh yeah---that's right---NEF doesn't have it. :-D .
 On the other hand why is that safety even necessary?

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:02:03 AM »
I have the NEF 410/22 combo "Versapack". I don't think you could make it much lighter, in shotgun form, its just a bit over 4lbs.

Its a very nice setup, and quality is good, just like the "big" guns. When I got mine, it also came with a very nice padded case. I think the case costs extra now.

Don't know about the Rossi's, but the ones I've handled seem to feel a bit cheaper in quality than the NEF's. Just my impression.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »
I would definitely agree with HuntenNut on the verspac. I bought my Dad one for his birthday. and I'm unless he drops dead (hope not but you never know) before it's time for my 3 year olds first gun I will buy this neat little combo for him. I think it was $134.00 from walmart. The rossis I've handled seemed a step below the NEF/ H&R. That old buy american thing comes to mind as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:27:36 AM »
Can you get the Versapack in Stainless?
Is the .22lr barrel drilled and tapped for a scope rail?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 03:23:53 AM »
Pretty sure the answer is no on both, but it still a neat little combo.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:22:32 AM »
I don't think they come in stainless but I seem to remember someone here in response to my questiin say that the .22 barrel in the Versa Pak was drilled and tapped for a scope rail....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 08:18:11 AM »
I know this is the H&R/NEF forum, and I am not bashing the H&R/NEF products. Heck I own a couple myself and like them... a lot.
But when doing a side by side on this particular type of product (410/22 youth combo) I really have to tip my hat to Rossi because it is a little bit shorter, a little bit lighter and available in stainless steel.  The extra safety on a childs gun can't hurt either.

.......................................H&R................. Rossi
Available in SS:...................No............................Yes
2nd Safety:.........................No............................Yes
Stocks:........................Wood, 12.5 l.o.p........Wood, 12.5 l.o.p.
.22lr configuration
Weight:............................5.25lbs......................5.62lbs
Length................................20"...........................18.5"
Overall length.....................34"............................31.5"
Tapped for scope rail:...........?..............................Yes                  

.410 configuration:
Weight:............................4.75lbs......................3.75lbs
Lenght:...............................22"............................22"
Overall length:....................36"............................35"
Chamber:............................3"..............................3"

Includes case:                    Yes?                        Yes?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 12:52:10 PM »
According to Rogmatt that safety on his broke pretty easily due to it's construction. I like stainless and own several stainless and nickel plated guns myself, but for a first gun I think the lessons learned when keeping it from rusting through proer cleaning and maintenance are important. I have nothing against Rossi but the ones I've had in my hands did not impress. I think the 22 barrel on the versapac is drilled and tapped for a scope. I'll ask my dad later and let you know.

Offline Brett

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
Quote from: Markus
According to Rogmatt that safety on his broke pretty easily due to it's construction.

And how many post have we read here about Handi's firing pins breaking, failures to eject shells or guns popping open upon firing?

I like stainless and own several stainless and nickel plated guns myself, but for a first gun I think the lessons learned when keeping it from rusting through proer cleaning and maintenance are important.

Stainless needs to be cleaned and cared for too.

I have nothing against Rossi but the ones I've had in my hands did not impress.

I've seen good and bad samples made by both manufacturers.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 12:42:34 AM »
The 22 barrel is drilled & tapped for a scope on the Rossi. We had a 3-9x30 on there for a while. worked fine.
I agree with Brett. Most firearms will have something fail at sometime or another, I just thought the safety thing was something I would have to keep dealing with over & over again, so that is why I sold it. I hope other folk have better service out of theirs, besides that, I think Rossi is a lot of gun for the money. Here is the .22 with scope:

Offline Brett

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 12:51:22 AM »
Hey Rogmatt I see your Rossi combo was blued?  I'm hoping the safety on the stainless version is made out of stainless and not pot metal. Like you I think the Rossi combo offers a lot of bang for the buck. Would you hapen to know if you can use centrefire barrels on the Rossi 410/22 combo's reciever?  That would be the iceing on the cake.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 12:56:27 AM »
My Versapack 22 barrel is drilled and tapped, but did not come with scope rail.

I think there may be a mistake in the weights listed. You've got the Rossi at 1/2lb heavier in 22 configuration, but a full pound lighter in shotgun with the same length barrels. That doesn't seem right. I'm willin to bet that both guns are going to way pretty close to the same to the point that its a moot point. The listed weights for the NEF's tend to be a bit heavier than actual in my experience anyway.

Anyway, it sounds as if you have already made up your mind, so go with what you feel is the best deal.

I think what we're all saying is that the NEF's may be of a bit better quality. I own 8 of their guns and not a single one has disappointed me in its quality when I hold it in my hands. I can't say that about the Rossi's. I don't own one, and thats because every one that I've examined just doesn't have the same quality feel of my  NEF's. Also, and this is very important for a "first gun" that will hopefully become a treasured heirloom someday, the NEF's are an American Classic--American Made and a tradition when it comes to these single shots. The Rossi's are just a johnny come lately knock off import.

As to the safety, I guess it can't hurt, but with the NEF transfer bar, its unnecessary. Just don't cock the hammer until ready to fire. Does the Rossi have a transfer bar safety to protect it when dropped? If not, then the NEF is a safer gun. Also, when I was a young one starting out with an old Stevens 20ga single shot in the squirrel woods, I wasn't allowed to chamber a round until a squirrel presented itself. This a good procedure I feel with kids. Obviously won't work with bird hunting or rabbits, but is a good way to start them out on squirrels.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 10:56:39 AM »
But does Rossi have anything that can touch the Ultra Sluggers?  :?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 11:26:42 AM »
How about this guys, Does Rossi have anything made in the USA? I find it pathetic that a rumor has to be started that Rossi makes barrels for H&R to try to show that the Rossi's are are as well made as the H&R's. When someone has to use the arguement that something is "as good as"  something else, they usually aren't. I have not shot a Rossi but have handled and examined them and they are not anywhere near the guns the H&R's are. As far as problems with these guns, they are not $2,000.00 bench rest guns so don't complain if you try to make them into one. They are fine guns for the money. CS does great at trying to keep us happy and I for one feel blessed I can just go out and buy one whenever I want. Lets hope George W. Bush remains in office so that lying wimp kerry won't try to take our constitutional right to "keep and bear arms" away in the guise of "International Accord". This is one christian citizen of the U.S.A. happy with his H&R's and voting for BUSH!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 12:05:34 PM »
MSP ret I applaud your patriotism, now if you can just get your fellow citizens in Kennedyland to vote against Kerry. As for the Rossi debate, no they are not quite up to the finish that H&R has. As far a quality of operation I have seen one person say something about Rossi safety. How many of us are always talking about having to polish the chamber to avoid stuck shells? Neither gun is up to TC standards, but both are well made for their purposes and niches. I like to buy American also when I can find what I want . But I am an incurable gun nut. I like all guns. I don't know if any Rossi parts are made in USA. But I read just yesterday in a gun review that Taurus (who now owns Rossi) do indeed make some of their guns in Fla. I'll have to check on that to be sure. Now about Rossi making H&R barrels. We all know that the company didn't start that rumor. I suspect that if we trace that thread back we will see that it was just one of us who heard it somewhere. I don't mean to offend anyone. I love my NEF guns and will buy more of them (hopefully).

Offline Brett

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 01:04:49 PM »
Like I said before I'm not bashing the H&R/NEF line.  All I'm saying is that the Rossi's 410/22 matched set matches H&R's Versapack feature for feature right down to the transfer bar safety.  Plus the Rossi has an additional manual safety and already comes with sling swivel studs.  I have not called Rossi to confirm this yet but from their web site it appears that the Rossi's frame will accept centerfire barrels when they get their barrel program up and running, H&R's Versapack will not..  Then ad to that the fact that you can get the Rossi in stainless steel, again an option not offered by H&R You can get a Stainless Rossi at Waly-world for around $140. I prefer to buy American made too if I can get the same value for my money.  Judging from the samples of guns that I have seen from both manufacturers the deference in quality is so minor as to almost be a non issue IMO.  I have owned a Taurus (part of the Braztech family) revolver for about 15 years and I love it.  If H&R offered a stainless Versapack that would accept cenerfire barrels I would buy it hands down but they don't.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »
the most important thing here is not which gun you buy , it's that your getting it for a kid to pass on a tradition and hopefully starting a life long love of the out  doors and shooting. I posted twice in this thread before and neglected to comment on this. The fact that it's a daughter makes it even better. Most girls I know don't care much about guns if they don't out right hate them. What ever gun you get for her teach her to use it well and enjoy the time you spend doing it.

Offline Brett

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 04:34:12 PM »
the most important thing here is not which gun you buy , it's that your getting it for a kid to pass on a tradition and hopefully starting a life long love of the out  doors and shooting. I posted twice in this thread before and neglected to comment on this. The fact that it's a daughter makes it even better. Most girls I know don't care much about guns if they don't out right hate them. What ever gun you get for her teach her to use it well and enjoy the time you spend doing it.

Thanks Markus, I will definitely do my best to pass along my love of the shooting sports to Angelika.  I already have her hooked on fishing and once I get a properly proportioned gun for her I'm sure that I won't have much trouble getting her hooked on shooting as well.  You will also be happy to know that Angel thinks venison is yummy.

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 03:34:53 PM »
MSP ret I went back and read my last post and feel i may have sounded a bit sarcastic.  I didn't mean it to read that way. If you took offense at it I do apologize. You and Scruffy have helped me a lot with info on making my pardner even better and I appreciate it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 03:42:39 AM »
:D , No offense taken gwhilikerz, no sarcasism detected at this end. I applaud your for your post. Of course 32+ years as a cop with 30 years of it on the State Police has left me with a pretty thick skin. As you might imagine during that time some of my "customers" have been unhappy with my appearence on the scene. My sincere hope and my belief is that equally as many or even more have been happy to see me arrive....<><.... :-D

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 02:34:32 PM »
i have a rossi in .22 mag,and it is stainless.I had to do a little work to be satisfied with it ,but now it is one of my favorite rifles.I have had to do the same with some of my handis.The work I have done to both has been mostly cosmetic.The thing I like about the centerfire Rossi Rifles I have handled is that they have extractors.Some Of the rossi shotguns I have seen look like they were finished on a bench grinder,but the newest ones I have seen have been finished very nicely.Their forearm design is a little funky,and their barrels are a little on the thin side on the rifles
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 04:34:38 AM »
i own 2 rossis and am getting ready to add another. I own a .44 combo (2 .44 barrels) and a small game combo (.410(18" with screw in chokes), .22 (22") .22(16") i am looking into having one of the .22 lr barrels reamed to  .22 mag.. These guns dont come this way :) me and a buddy have thinned and reshaped both sets of stocks and forends. I'm calling a guy about a .45/.410 today.  all shoot accurately and patten nicely.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots