Author Topic: Bobcat Issue  (Read 472 times)

Offline Mirage

• Trade Count: (0)
Bobcat Issue
« on: November 14, 2004, 04:33:15 AM »
Insight appreciated.

Setup on a promising spot with trails, and a rubbing area. Went out yesterday PM with 12 yr. old Son. We watched 2 bobcats play on a stump 50 yards from us for 15 minutes before I chased them away. I belive they would have stayed and sunned themselves, I also believe the stump may be some type of territorial / play feature.

How detrimental is the presence of bobcats for deer, particularly a visited spot such as a stump?

Mirage.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Bobcat Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 06:11:08 AM »
Enjoy the added pleasure of seeing bobcats on your woods excursions. They will have little to no impact upon deer if the deer are already using the area. A bobcat is not capable of killing a healthy 75+ pound deer, and both the deer and the bobcat know this. Worst case scenario is that they may wander through at the same time as deer and cause the deer to change course a little bit that one time. Bobcats generally do not repeatedly visit the same exact spot unless it is a den with a litter, which would not be the case this time of year, or a winter den, which could be the case. Check the area around that stump carefully for a den entrance. If you don't find one, I wouldn't worry about the stump at all.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Siskiyou

Bobcat Issue
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 08:41:27 AM »
Many years back I was setup to call varmints when I watched a bunch of does and the year before fawns go to a salt box used by a rancher.  It got more interesting when I noticed a large Bobcat sneaking up on them.  I have heard for years that fawns are a major food source for coyotes, Mtn. Lions, bears, and Bobcats.  (I have heard of late from a number of N. Cal hunters regarding concerns that bear are taking a lot of deer.  In the past I have stirred up some bear scat and identified what I believe is deer hair.)  

The deer were focused on the salt box unaware of the approaching danger.  The cat setup on the deers' trail and was waiting for their return.  He never heard the shot.

Another time I had started a deer hunt down a narrow, steep ridge.  The area was covered with oak trees and Fir.  I was aware the saddle I had departed was an active deer crossing.  My attention went back and forth from the ridge I was going down, to the hillside across from me.  From the corner of my eye I noticed a small tree limb slowly drop down in my vision.  A small Bobcat was backing down the limp, eye-ball to eye-ball with me.  The cat rolled off the end of the limb and disappeared downhill.  I made no attempt to shot the cat.  Why spoil my deer hunt.

After my heart beat slowed down I slowly worked my way down the slope another couple of hundred feet. A buck and doe were watching me from across the draw.  They were less then 100 yards away.  I collected the buck.  In this case I do not think the presence of the small Bobcat caused any concern with the adult deer. :cb3: My presence my have benefitted the Bobcat with a meal of deer entrails.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Bobcat Issue
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 10:11:47 AM »
I think deer do have an aversion to Bobcats.  A couple of years ago my oldest son had an adult doe run by his treestand full tilt and a few seconds later here came a big bobcat right on its trail.  The cat was not full out running but just trotting along.  I have also seen two times where a bobcat got on a deer kill before we could.  Both these times were within 45 min of after the deer was shot.  We always wait for 1/2 hour (bowhunting) before tracking (if the deer does not drop in site). I think deer react to a cat just like they would a coyote.  Which in my area means they are not sticking around.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.