Author Topic: .22 magnum (revolver) vs. .32 acp (.71 grain ball)  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
.22 magnum (revolver) vs. .32 acp (.71 grain ball)
« on: November 29, 2004, 08:56:33 AM »
Hi, I read somewhere that a .22 magnum has more stopping power and penetration that a .32 acp when using .71 grain ball.  What are your thoughts on this?  Also how much more penetration and stopping power does a .22 magnum has then a .22 lr?  Thanks.

Offline Dusty Miller

.22 magnum (revolver) vs. .32 acp (.71 grai
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:36:04 AM »
Stopping power?  Against what?  Maybe a little old lady wielding an assault umbrella?  Certainly not against a prison hardened criminal standing well over 6 feet tall and weighing in well over 200 pounds.  If you are going to carry a gun for self-defense you need to think about the worst case scenario.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »
I would consider reliability before anything else. Centerfire is more reliable, and there are 32 bullets that are designed for defense.
Safety first

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 11:43:53 AM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
Stopping power?  Against what?  Maybe a little old lady wielding an assault umbrella?  Certainly not against a prison hardened criminal standing well over 6 feet tall and weighing in well over 200 pounds.  If you are going to carry a gun for self-defense you need to think about the worst case scenario.

Don't under estimate a 22MAG. I would not want to be shot by one. Also statistical the 22 cal bullets is contributed to more deaths than a lot of other calibers.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:17:57 PM »
I think those figures were based on some handgun-one-shot-stop-probability survey somebody did a while ago. I know they must have been talking about the 71 grain full metal jacket ball ammo for the .32 that was the only option for a while. Now Winchester offers a 60 grain hollowpoint with a velocity of 970 feet per second and an energy of 125 foot pounds.

The 22WRM makes 195 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 45 grain JHP bullet. This is more energy than the .32, but it is also a lighter bullet which means penetration might not be as good.

The .22LR makes 100 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle of a pistol with a 40 grian lead round nose at 1060 feet per second.

These are all figures given by Winchester using their handgun balistics. I am certainly impressed with the .22 WRM, or surprised with the lack of performance given by the .32.

Despite energy comparisons, I think the .32  might be marginally more reliable because it is a center fire. It also has the heaviest bullet of all three cartriges.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Mrserenity

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 06:00:56 PM »
Hi, I won't be using it for carry.  We can't carry where i'm at currently.  I wanted to get something as a back up for the home and to take to the range once in a while.  I currently have a single shot 20 gauge shotgun for the home. For a guy with small hands what do you recommend in revolvers? Something with not a lot of recoil? .32 mag?  I'm still searching for the right handgun.  I had a .22 & .32 semi-auto but i don't like the jamming.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 10:12:58 PM »
Quote from: Mrserenity
Hi, I won't be using it for carry.  We can't carry where i'm at currently.  I wanted to get something as a back up for the home and to take to the range once in a while.  I currently have a single shot 20 gauge shotgun for the home. For a guy with small hands what do you recommend in revolvers? Something with not a lot of recoil? .32 mag?  I'm still searching for the right handgun.  I had a .22 & .32 semi-auto but i don't like the jamming.

A Ruger Single-Six in 32 magnum might be a good choice for you?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:42:58 AM »
Mrserentity: I have seen the 22 magnum from a short barrelled derringer type (the old High Stnadard) nearly cut a guy in half.  We used to carry these stange looking 'last ditch' 3 shooters in the magnum caliber for point blank 'kill-em and get their guns' uses.  A buddy and I were coming out of a bar in south America one night and got hit on - he ducked his weapon ( a short club) and stomach punched his opponent at the same time he triggered off a round - slug went right on through leaving a gapping exit wound and the man dropped immediately.  The other guy ran away.  

I have seen the 22 magnum work well on treed Mountain Lion.  I have also seen one instance where the cat jumped out of the tree to escape the hunter, who shot him twice from underneath with both slugs exiting the upper torso and the cat just folded.  

I have seen the same 'last ditch' shooters cleanly take bad guys at point blank range.  

Comparing the 22 magnum to the 32 acp is not a favorable comparison.  The 22 magnum will do much more than the 32 and I feel it is a better defensive caliber, even though it is a rim fire cartridge.  And the latest, most current expandable 32s don't rock my boat.  

The difference is between a high speed, highly expandable and literally explosive bullet and one that isn't.  But, this is just my 2 cents worth.  Mikey.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 04:10:39 AM »
Mikey, I carry a NAA 22MAG 24-7. It fits in my pocket and no one would ever think it was there.  I also carry my Colt defender in 45ACP but it is not always practical to carry, and sometimes you clothing does not allow for such a carry. I would bet my life on my 22MAG.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Mrserenity

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 06:59:45 AM »
Hey Mikey & Redhawk do you suggest the Derringer NAA or the Taurus revolver for a .22 magnum?

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 08:07:30 AM »
my 2 cents.

If your recoil sensitive, then skip the NAA.  The .22 mag will not kick horably but will roar and throw a considerable muzzle flash out of such a short barreld gun. Muzzle energy/velocity will also be greatly reduced as that round needs a longer barrel to burn that slower powder.  
Of the 2 calibers mentioned , I'd note that the 22 mag is going to be ALLOT cheaper to practice/shoot with. The .32 ACp is just too uncomon to find cheap ammo.  The .22 mag would be better out of a 4" to 6" barrel if you want efficiency though. FWIW, I'd vote you look for a good 3-4" medium frame revolver in .38 ( or 357). 38 target ammo in a K frame S&W will give about as much felt recoil, noise and flash as a smaller lighter .22mag. It will be cheaper to feed than either round, increadibly reliable and super versitile. Grip options  for the S&W are infinite and sutable for any range of hand sizes.  lastly, used 38's are EVERYWHERE and often priced well under $250 for a nice one.

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »
Tacoma nailed it!
If you are going to use a small revolver for self defense the 38spl is the way to go. Ammo is cheap and the 38spl round is more effective than the other two rounds. The advantage goes to the 32ACP for concealability. A 5 shot 38 snubbie is about the same size as a 22mag revolver. Problem solved!
Goodnight
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 04:13:32 PM »
Quote from: Mrserenity
Hey Mikey & Redhawk do you suggest the Derringer NAA or the Taurus revolver for a .22 magnum?

I have the NAA mini mag revolver, but it is my pocket gun. If you want on for home defence the longer barrel would be a better bet. You may also want to consider the 32 H&R Mag, not a lot of recoil but hits hard.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 06:26:29 PM »
Don't have any experience with the .22 Mag in a handgun, but I've seen a Beretta 1935 .32ACP with 71gr. ball put down what's comin'. Arteries don't seem to function with a hole in them. As soon as he realized he was shot, he was dead. Looked at one case with the exact same results from a .32 S&W revolver. 4" Hand-Ejector. LRN through the goods. No more problem. The "stopping power" thing is like saying the .44 Mag is weak since the .500 S&W has been invented. Some street hood with a .44 Mag is scary. A street hood with experience carrying a .32 or .22 Mag is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING.

Offline Smokem

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 01:44:06 AM »
I agree with you Mikey. "Up close and personal"
I carry my Kel-Tec .32 acp EVERY WHERE I go. Why? Because I can. It is small enough to fit in my pants pocket and not be visible, plus it has 8 shots. When I went looking for a carry gun in 2000 I wanted something that I would WANT to carry all the time regardless of the weather.
Gun Control = Hitting your target.