Author Topic: Binos  (Read 530 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Binos
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:00:07 PM »
I’m looking for a good set of binos at a reasonable price. I was looking at the Pentax 8x28 and 10x28 DCF MP Binos… What do you all think about these.

What power do you recommend for deer hunting woods type of areas and some small fields in the 200 yard or smaller range.

Also what other binos would you recommend in the $400 or less range.

Thanks and Be Safe,
Scott

Offline DIVR6347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
binos
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 05:30:15 PM »
hey
for the hunting your doing it sounds like you could get away with something in the 8x32 or 8x42 range  if you want a well built bino with awesome glass try the kahles in either power  great glass at a great price
samplelist.com had them under 400 bucks but dont know whats left there
now  i have the 8x42 grey models and i also have the 8x42 leica trinovid
bn which are superb but way up in price $1000  
they are some of the best glass i have ever looked thru although at 200yds they are probably not a must have item
the kahles are in your price range and are a great glass with a great warranty  you cant go wrong with them for the money  
divr6347  :D  :D

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Binos
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »
8x binoculars should be sufficient for eastern woods whitetail hunting.  In addition, a full size binocular with a 40-42mm objective will be much better in low light.

Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 8x42mm
You can look at them at the nearest Wild Birds Unlimited

Celestron Regal LS 8x42mm
Review of the Celestron Regal LS binoculars

Wind River Pinnacles 8x42mm
Review of the Wind River Pinnacles

Alpen Apex 493 8x42mm
Alpen Apex review

These are the best 8x42mm roof prism binoculars for under $400.  They are distinctly better than any roof prism binocular that costs under $300.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Binos
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 05:48:26 PM »
For the kinda woods hunting you're talking about I really like my Steiner 6x30s. Power is not what you need. You need optical clarity and brightness. Other than the 6x30s I use 7x42s for my hunting. I really like the Bushnell Legends in the under $400 price range.

If you really want top drawer take a look at the Leica 7x42s I have on the Classifieds at $650. If you want to stick to the $400 max get Bushnell Legend.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Binos
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 05:49:52 PM »
I've been packing a pair of 8x40 Nikon Monarch ATBs around now for several years and really like em. They get great reviews where ever I've seen em mentioned and are truly a great glass. They aren't too heavy which is one of the nice things about good glass, and they aren't expensive compared to glass of their quality in other brands. If you do a search here at GBO, you'll see em mentioned many times as being excellent. Best price I've seen on em since I bought mine is at the Optic Zone.

https://secure.theopticzone.com/webstore/ProductDetails1.asp?ProductID=599&VisID=22737
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Binos
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 02:56:53 PM »
Thanks for the good info everyone.

Be Safe,
Scott