Author Topic: where to set up???  (Read 439 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
where to set up???
« on: November 18, 2004, 08:50:34 AM »
i just got rights to 80 acres!!!!!(no,the management hunt will NOT be my only chance to hunt :P ) its inbetween two soy bean fields ,but they just cut the beans. i found some well used trails leading to the fields but will the deer still use the same trails??? will the deer still go to the fields after they've been cut??? the opening daY OF FIREARMS IS 4 DAYS PAST SO I DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH THe land to much(the fire arms last 2 months) please and thanks for any info!!!!!!!!! :P
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
where to set up???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:49:14 AM »
(Depending on how the layout is,and if possible)I would find the bean field that seems to be getting the most use, find a good location, set your stand about 30-50 or so yards in the woods next to the field (less or more depending where you are seeing the most deer sign)...So you can catch the deer going to and from the field.Thats what I would do....Good luck :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
where to set up???
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:48:49 AM »
Pretend you are a deer who uses the 80 acres. What would you do to avoid hunters? If there is a thicket or other area of heavy cover you can bet the deer will use it. Keep the probable wind and your approach path in mind when setting up your stand(s). Don't walk out across a large open area straight to your stand. Use the most concealed route. Have more than one location ready for different conditions (morning/evening, wind, etc.) and use the best one for any given outing. The main thing is to set up where your presence will not be obvious to the deer.

I wouldn't worry too much about disturbing the deer before the season opens. Farmland deer are used to human activity. If you go out and spend a whole day thrashing around in the woods, I'll wager my supper the deer will be back in less than 24 hours.

Deer will continue to visit soybean fields after harvest, but they often become more nocturnal. I would try to ambush them in an area of heavier sign away from the field edge. Even if they do approach the field, they will be on high alert, and any little mistake may cost you. They will feel more secure further into cover and are more likely to move around there during daylight hours.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
where to set up???
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:39:42 AM »
Before the shooting season starts, the deer will be coming out into the field at dusk. After the shooting starts, they will be staging inside the tree line about 50 yards or so before entering the field to eat after dark. They will browse all the way up to the staging point but will be alert. They might even bed at the staging point much earlier in the afternoon. They will use the trails providing they feel safe and there was no previous danger there. Your silhouette against the sky will be unusual to them as they approach the field so be on their flank as they walk the trail. Remember, the woods to them is like your living room is to you. If there is anything out of the ordinary, they will see it. I remember seeing a smoking candle as a deer attractant in a magazine before. That would be like going to your Lazy-Boy and not being suspicious of thick smoke. :)  They will most likely come out in the field's corner so they can see in all directions. They'll know that where they came from was just safe and they now have a visual of both angles. Good Luck
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!