Author Topic: Any disabled hunters out there? We need to talk......  (Read 503 times)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Any disabled hunters out there? We need to talk......
« on: November 27, 2004, 05:37:02 PM »
It appears that there is very little hope for my left knee, which degenerated AFTER surgery for a cartilage tear.  No matter what has been tried, my left knee looks like a balloon, and swells any time I use stairs or walk up/down a slope. I've been told this condition will simply get worse no matter what. Eventually, total knee replacement will be necessary.  All this and I'm in my early 40s.  While I'm not giving up on finding a doctor that isn't a quack, etc., I may be faced with no more strenuous up/down hiking.

If anyone out there has a physical limitation in their life that affects their hunting, I'd love to hear how you deal with it.  All things considered it could be worse......5 years and I have my retirement, I just have to wing it until then and stay out of trouble. But the hunting......   what does anyone else do?????

:cry:

RR

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Any disabled hunters out there? We need to
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 09:40:32 PM »
I have arthritis in both knees pretty bad. The left is the worst and has definitely changed the way I hunt already. Dunno if replacement surgery is in my future but my GP has hinted it could be. But then he's already told me I need to either have rotator cuff surgery or stop shooting other than rimfires. I've not paid attention to that advice yet either.

I've pretty much given up on walking very far from the truck anymore and for sure can't do the hills like I used to. I don't think at this time mine is quite as bad as yours but it comes and goes. At times it will make a popping sound like it's coming out of joint (something it has done big time on several occasions) and the pain almost drops me to the ground. When it's doing this I can barely walk on level ground. Climbing any slope is totally out of the question. I've dealt with it so far with cortisone shots and resting the leg. But if that ever happened when I was out alone very far from the truck I'd be waiting on someone to take me out.

I've adjusted my hunting to stay on more friendly ground and not so far from the truck. I'm also doing more of my hunting at or near ground level now and doing less tree climbing.

I've been retired now for 9 years so have that out of the way already.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Any disabled hunters out there? We need to
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 11:51:51 AM »
Rogue Ram,

I lost 60% use of my left leg after an on the job incident caused my early retirement as a LEO.  I also have a cousin that lost 80% use of both legs after an auto accident.  Drop me a PM here at Graybeards if you want to exchange e-mails.  Exchange ideas or just BS.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.