Author Topic: Painting sights  (Read 975 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Painting sights
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:44:37 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else ever paints their sights on their revolvers? I have a SBH 7 1/2 .44 mag and I painted the front sight(post) with white epoxy paint.It is now much easier to aim.I tried fingernail polish,but took it off and went with the epoxy.I just painted the back edge of the post.It really works well.I was just thinking......that paint makes my .44 a custom gun  :lol: ......................Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Painting sights
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:51:51 AM »
I've been painting pistol sights for years, starting with my first duty gun.  Some guns with stainless steel front sight blades were blackened, others got a dab of red fingernail polish on the top of the rear face for faster pickup.  My favorite bowling pin gun has a whitened rear sight and a black front for better contrast.  The best part is, if your needs change or you decide you don't like the color, you can take it off in a few minutes!  

And the older I get, the more my eyes need help picking up the sights, especially in low light!  :shock:

Papajohn the Pistol Polish Painter
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Painting sights
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »
My daughter found some floresent orange finger nail paint that works well

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Painting sights
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 07:48:48 PM »
I've been using my wife's finger nail polish to touch up my gun sights since before she became my wife.  Back when I still shot ported guns, I used a couple of coats of clear polish to protect the front sight from permanent discoloration.  When smoke and soot darkened things that weren't supposed to be dark, I could just clean off the polish and start fresh.
NRA life member

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Painting sights
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 05:43:17 AM »
I've used any number of paints or reflective coatings on some of my front sights but then I run into the problem of trying to pick up the front sight in bright light or at the indoor range with bright lights.  I finally settled on coating half the front sight, leaving the top for target work.  Works for me.  Mikey.

Offline Mohawk

Painting sights
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 05:58:52 AM »
I still do this on my blued Model 19 Smith. I use a white for point of aim and a red below it to warn me I'm pointing too high. I don't use any paint on the front sight of my Model 19 nickel. The sight is just right as is.

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Painting sights
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:31:45 AM »
I've been painting my front sights with white for 4 years now..... hmmmm.... I've only owned guns for 4 years. It made sense to me from day one and still makes sense to make that front sight stand out.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline redhawk44p

• Avid Poster
Painting sights
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 04:09:43 PM »
I use florescent yellow model paint from Wal Mart. It shows up well in the dark forest.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Painting sights
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 09:58:23 PM »
Thanks guys,guess I'm not the only one that uses paint.You know,you would think the gun producers would pick up on this and do this for us........oh well..........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Painting sights
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 07:24:07 PM »
I haven't tried it yet but that powdered fishing jig paint should be the cat's butt! Application could be a problem but that stuff is like glass. On the jigs you just heat them and them dip em into the powder, it then melts right on the jig and is dry as soon as it cools. It comes in all the blaze colors too. Same as powder coat.

Offline emt

Painting sights
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 04:59:01 PM »
well im new to sight but im glad i was looking around. i called today about a set of sights for my new gp 100 cant for two weeks. looks like this will give me time to try new ideas . been using nail polish long time but only white forgot about all the new collors thanks

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
Painting sights
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 12:50:13 PM »
I've found that Testors model paint shows up well and has lasted a long time on both guns I've used it on.  You can get it at any -Mart store, and it comes in several bright colors: orange, red, green, etc.

Michbob

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Painting sights
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 07:13:59 AM »
Try doing low-light level drills with an ordinary black sight.  Then paint the sight -- I use typerwriter correction fluid -- and see what a difference it makes.