Author Topic: .38 SUPER QUESTION  (Read 662 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:34:03 PM »
On another forum I visit on occasion there are discussions about the .38 Super.
One noted Gunsmith has made the statement that a Colt Enhanced model is not a good weapon.
Who today makes a .38 Super ( Colt and Kimber excluded ) as I know of these. ALSO does Colt make a non-enhanced .38 Super. They have several models in the .38 super but I cannot determine if all are enhance.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 12:31:55 AM »
I know Springfield Armory was making them at one time.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 02:12:58 AM »
I also believe that Sig makes the 38 Super in a full sized, and possibly a shorter package, and one of the other noted european pistol makers.

I don't know who the noted gunsmith is who made that remark, but although I am not a fan of the politics of the Colt Firearms Factory, there isn't anything wrong with their 'enhanced' 1911s in 38 Super.  In fact, they are probably a lot better than the older ones.  The new 38 Super barrels from Colt are headspaced on the case mouth, as are the custom barrels, giving you better accuracy than the older 'headspace on that tiny rim' barrels could ever.  The enhancements also mean a beavertail grip safety and a flared or lowered ejection port to keep thebrass from getting dinged or jammed.  None of these enhancements detract from the inherent safety or shoot-ability of the 1911 in 38 Super Auto.  

The 38 SUper is a great caliber.  If you find an older model you can always enhance it yourself with add on parts that do not require gunsmithing and can be removed later to return the piece to original status.  

If you are looking for a 1911 in 38 Super, you can't go wrong with the Colt (or the Springfield, Kimber, etc).  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Japle

.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:14:11 AM »
The EAA Witness (improved CZ75 clone) is probably the strongest Super on the market .  Get the steel frame with the "Wonder" finish if you can.
This gun is about the size of a Beretta 92.  Very accurate and reliable.  It'll take any +P load and you can get 16 round mags for them now.

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral

Offline williamlayton

.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 03:11:44 AM »
Mikey-
Too be honest, I am not sure what he meant either, or the context in which it was meant. Too be further confusing, I thought the headspacing on the rim had been dropped years ago.
I said that to say I doan know what I am concerned about, or even IF I ever had anything to be concerned about.
It does seem to imply that Colt does make an enhanced and a non-enhanced version NOT head-spacing on the rim.
The context of the thought can be found at the pistolsmith site, under the 38 super discussion site.
All I have to say about this is I dunno or dunno nuthin ( which aint that unusual fer me ).
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »
Mikey got it right on the Colt 38 Super!
GLB

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »
STI is another company that makes the 38 Super. If you want to shoot the upper end of 38 Super loads you will need to buy a gun with a fully supported chamber. This is needed to reach power factor for those that use the super in competition. I do not know which mfgs produce the supported chamber or not other than STI.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 11:21:25 AM »
My Combat Commander headspaces on the rim and it's a series 70 in 38 Super. That cartridge is one honey of a caliber. I prefer that over the 40 S&W.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline williamlayton

.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 12:00:04 AM »
Flash--
How old is yours ?
I am asking because I was under the impression that Colt , and others, stopped this because of reliability. I am interested in knowing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 12:12:27 AM »
Mine is about 30+ years old.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 02:10:45 AM »
williamlayton:  Colt stopped manufacturing its 'headspace on case rim' barrels for the 38 Super because of customer requests.  This is one of a couople of enhancement requests Colt actually listented to after going out of business for eihter the first or second time.  In addition, the after market parts business for 38 Super barrels that headspace on the case mouth had become so productive, and those barrels were being shown to be so much more accurate, that Colt finally got smart.  

There wasn't a reliability question or a safety question, either.  It's just tha for once, Colt got smart and got with the program.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 02:20:22 AM »
Thanx Mikey and Flash
Went back to the pistolsmith site and saw that the concerns with the enhanced was the grip safty and a couple of other things.
Good information here, but I am still wondering if all the super .38's Colt makes are the enhanced.
Guess I better call em.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Paul S

.38 SUPER QUESTION
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 02:42:11 PM »
I was on the Wilson combat site today and saw that they are now making a 38 super. I'm sure it will be a little pricey.
Paul :D