Author Topic: Kentucky Bus Driver Who Picked Up Hunter Reinstated  (Read 525 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Kentucky Bus Driver Who Picked Up Hunter Reinstated
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:27:09 PM »
Kentucky Bus Driver Who Picked Up Hunter Reinstated

ULYSSES, Ky. (AP) - A school bus driver is back on the job after letting a hunter ride shotgun.

Kathy Laney was suspended indefinitely in September by the rural Lawrence County school district - and could have been fired - after she stopped along her route with 10 youngsters aboard and gave a lift to a squirrel hunter carrying a 20-gauge shotgun.

Parents were outraged over her suspension and swamped the central office with calls and petitions demanding she be allowed back.

Administrators let her return to her route after suspending her for 30 days and requiring her to go through additional training. She has been back on the job for two weeks.

"She's an excellent employee," said John Thompson, the school district's transportation director. "We didn't want to lose her."

Parents plastered her bus with signs and banners welcoming her back.

Administrators concluded Laney drove Ralph Music only a matter of yards to get him past some threatening dogs. Laney said she recognized Music and was certain he would not harm the youngsters, who included own children and the hunter's grandson.

"I know I made a mistake," Laney said. "I didn't realize he had a gun. I knew he was holding something. I thought it was a cane."

Thompson said Laney had an unblemished record in her six years as a bus driver.

"And parents love her," he said.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline wareagleguy

Kentucky Bus Driver Who Picked Up Hunter Re
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:43:32 AM »
I know that she only was trying to help someone in need but in this day and age that will get you killed.  I wonder how many of those parents that wanted her reinstaed would be backing her if the guy shot a few of those kids.  No, the school bus is NOT a taxi.  I would have had a fit if the bus driver done that with my kid on the bus!!!

Think about it this way...would you want your wife and child to pick up some stranger on side of the road ?  NO WAY!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:58:33 AM »
brdavis, I can only figure one thing from the tone of your post...you live in the city or suburbia. In the city you don't know anyone and you don't trust anyone.

Out in the country where this occurred, the driver knew the hunter and and probably was a neighbor.  What the driver did was called being neighborly.  If she hadn't known the person she wouldn't have stopped, she would have called the sheriff.

The way people treat each other out in the country is much nicer than in the city.  I have three years to retire after which I will leave Virginia where you have to suspicious and on guard all the time, and return to Montana where you know everybody, don't lock you doors and you aren't afraid to smile and say hi to your neighbor. where if you see one of your neighbors walking along the road you stop and offer to help.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »
Quote from: brdavis
I would have had a fit if the bus driver done that with my kid on the bus!!!!
Dali Llama say yes, that be what he assume brdavis would say. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk