Author Topic: "Im Having fun."  (Read 382 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
"Im Having fun."
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:01:56 PM »
This is my third year hunting deer.  My first year I took it on a little, how should we say, half a**ed.  Last year I was tagged out by the second day out.  But this year, which included an extra 2 weeks of muzzel loader season, i've had to work hard.  There is still two more weeks to the close of season, so there is still time.  But I had an epiphany today.  You see, Im one of a group of three guys who have been hunting, rather religously, a small swamp right near the heart of New Hampshires biggest city.  i've been dealing with a cold, and my butt my never quit being sore, but i've been seeing deer.  I could have filled one tag with a small doe.  And i've had to pass on some iffy shots.  But Im not down, sad or unhappy.  So far we've managed to meet a great fellow hunter who has become a regular at our spot, just like us.  He enjoy chuckling at one friends 60 pound doe, just so they forget about your 76 pounder from last year.  Or when your buddy who proclaims he hits EVERYTHING he aims at, yet has walked away with two misses this year.  How about when your slogging through the swamp and you choke back laughter as the guy in front of you slops knee deep in a mud hole.....only to have him choke back the laughter when you do the same thing later in the day.  And how about the 6 does you spoke 10 feet from where your truck is parked just after shooting hours.  You see, I think in the "mainstream" of hunting its become about the biggest baddest deer with the most points.  But you know what?  Its not about racks, no racks.  Big or small.  Doe or buck.  Its about good friends, great times and having fun outdoors.  I could not see another deer this year.  But my buddy George summed it up best when he shot at a small doe twice and missed both.  "I missed that dang b@$tard twice, but ya know what Brian?  Im having fun!"  
Yup, I am too good buddy.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
"Im Having fun."
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:10:30 PM »
New Hampshire, you are right on target. I have only been deer hunting for four years now and am really sorry I didn't start sooner. Our group hunts leased land (200 acres). We hunt together, have breakfast on Friday mornings, and go to church together. Has become the closest group you could ever imagine. We have long season here, mid-September through Jan. 1, so we spend a lot of time together. We have had the 50 lb. does, big bucks, and forgetting to take ammo for the rifle you were planning to shoot that day. Friendships that will last a lifetime and it has extended far beyond hunting season. Just love being out there.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
"Im Having fun."
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 11:50:24 AM »
Fellows, enjoy the friendship when you are young. All of my hunting and fishing buddies have passed away now and I do miss them. We had a lot of stories to tell. This will happen to you all one of these day's so enjoy while you can. Good friendships are hard to find. Carl L.