Author Topic: And it's Started: Blowing up Gun Myths  (Read 695 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: And it's Started: Blowing up Gun Myths
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 06:05:22 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/index.php?ntid=19231&ntpid=0
Dali Llama say commentary such as this lead him to question veracity of article:

"Sensible gun controls - perhaps in the form of a ban on hunting with semiautomatic and automatic weapons; perhaps in the form of a more sweeping restriction on the purchase of some guns - place some restrictions on the absolute right to bear arms. But such controls might well have saved at least some of the lives of those hunters."

Dali say there exist no "sensible gun controls" -- only gun grabbing by left wing extremists! :twisted:  :x  :evil:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

And it's Started: Blowing up Gun Myths
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 08:06:41 AM »
I sent the editor this letter as he wanted responses to the article well he got mine. Others here should do the same as he does supply a link to do so. Jim

Read your article online and knew these types of articles were to come. Lots of hunters use the SKS and other semi auto guns safely in WI and elsewhere. To have a knee jerk response to this tragedy because of the actions of one nut case is irresponsible and unfair to the folks who use these guns safely and responsibly. No I do not own a SKS at this time though I have owned one in the past. I just like other guns for hunting better. Still I do not think that those who like to use semi auto guns for hunting, target shooting, and other shooting sports should be penalized for the action of a person who definitely has some mental problems. When are the media and the politicians going to realize that guns do not kill humans other humans do. Guns are only a tool, just like automobiles you want to ban them too? Since only one gun was found at the scene of this tragedy that belonged to one of the victims and he was wounded Vang could have used any type of gun and gotten the same results since the others were unarmed.  Ban the SKS and other semi autos in WI and the other guns that hunters use will be next on the anti gunners list.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:31:05 AM »
A 20 round clip does not turn a good person bad any more than a 5 shot clip turns a bad person good.   More people die every day on our highways than die all year from guns.

An automatic does not turn a good person bad any more than a single shot clip turns a bad person good.

Be very afraid of those that would disarm you.   Not only will you be at the mercy of the criminals but at the mercy of the person that disarmed you too.   Hitler and Stalin taught us all what we need to know about gun control.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 04:49:29 AM »
Quote from: Major
Be very afraid of those that would disarm you.   Not only will you be at the mercy of the criminals but at the mercy of the person that disarmed you too.  
AMEN, say Dali Llama! :-)

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 06:18:01 AM »
There has to be more to this than what is known.  A person does not turn into a murderer and kill unarmed people when faced with the circumstances that this man faced.  

I am sure that there will be a major investigation into the complete circumstances surrounding this event.  Until that investigation is complete, all statements concerning the mental state of the victims and suspect are just theory.

I do know that people who panic, lose the ability to defend themselves effectively.  Also, as evidenced in many law enforcement shoot outs, a well armed suspect who does not fear death, has an advantage over his opponents.  If he had been carrying a single shot 22, I doubt that the results would have varried all that much.

C F

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 05:45:29 AM »
Quote from: crow_feather
There has to be more to this than what is known.  A person does not turn into a murderer and kill unarmed people when faced with the circumstances that this man faced.  

Dali Llama say yes, he be quite certain that investigation into murderer's background will reveal disadvantaged childhood, low income, and various and sundry other "reasons" to justify his actions. :twisted:  :x  :evil: