Author Topic: Good binocular for plains and tundra use  (Read 741 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Good binocular for plains and tundra use
« on: November 27, 2004, 02:59:36 AM »
I mostly hunt the woods and have nice compact 7X that is perfect for that. I'm planning hunts for antelope, plains mulies and for barren ground caribou and I'll need more power. Thinking about one of the 10X42 roof prism glasses. Good choice? Suggestions? I should add that I have a good spotting scope with 20X and 40X eye pieces and could use it also but it is a load to carry.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 03:26:32 AM »
Good quality roof prisms can be had for around $400.  There just are no more secrets to making a good quality roof prism binoculars anymore.  Of course, there are differences between the "so-called" midrange binoculars and the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski.  But most budgets and eyes do not see $1000 difference.  If you will use them in low light you might want to consider a 10x50mm.  Here are some I would consider:

Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x42mm or 10x50mm
You can look at them at the nearest Wild Birds Unlimited

Celestron Regal LS 10x42mm or 10x50mm
Review of the Celestron Regal LS binoculars

Wind River Pinnacles 10x42mm
Review of the Wind River Pinnacles

Alpen Apex 495 10x42mm or 497 10x50mm
Alpen Apex review
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 04:52:56 AM »
I would highly consider taking a look at the Nikon Monarchs 10x42s or the Leupold Olympic 10x50's for a little more added light.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 05:55:44 AM »
I would also throw the Pentax DCF's in to the mix. I have first generation 8X40 DCF's and I also have Swarovski 8X30's. I know it is not quite an apple to apple comparison because of the difference in objective lens size but even those old DCF's do compare well for the price. They are not as sharp as the Swarovski's but I paid less than half the price. The newer ones are now phase coated and should be even better than my old ones.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 06:12:43 AM »
Don't over look the Bushnell Legend line. Outstanding optics and a fair price. Not saying their might not be better out there but in the under $400 price range I've not looked thru better yet. Long ago in the pre wind river days Leupold imported a line of porro prism binoculars most of which weren't great. But one of them was a 10x40 that cost at least double what any of the others did. Now those were a fine binocular. Sure wish my oldest son hadn't lost mine. They weren't cheap at over $250 actual street price 15 years or so ago but that was a nice binocular.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »
Look at Steiners! SWFA at their samplelist.com site has great prices on refurbs......several styles in the 10x range, German glass at great prices.

Graybeard! I remember those Leupolds!!! Wonderful binocs.......I kept breaking them (my fault), rubber armor might have helped. Eventually sold them, need the cash. Wish I still had them!

RR

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 09:46:15 PM »
I broke mine once. Dropped them on concrete. Sent them back to Leupold and told them what happened and they fixed them at no charge to me. Way over and above what they should have done. But they can't help with my son losing them. Sure wish I still had those.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!