Author Topic: Red Buffalo???  (Read 887 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Red Buffalo???
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:03:09 PM »
I've heard about a Red Buffalo, true or false?  If true where does one find them and how do they compare to the Cape Buffalo?  I'm unable to find any pictures of them so where can a person see a few pictures?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
Red Buffalo???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 06:31:35 AM »
I believe the Red Buffalo are the Forest Buffalo in African interior.  Not as large as Cape Buffalo nor have the horn mass of the Cape.  Hair has a distinct reddish color but older bulls turn nearly black.  I believe, but don't quote me, that Cameroon, CAR and Congo are the areas where you would find them.

I was hoping that JJ would step in here, as I don't know too much about them.  Boddington writes about them on his Eland and Bongo hunts in Where Lions Roar.

Hope this helps.

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
Red Buffalo???
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 10:40:08 AM »
Well I did not jump in on this as I don't know anything about red buffalo. I will be the first one to express an opinion on something I know first hand or have experience with. However when it comes to something I don't know I'll sit back and listen just like everyone else!

The Forest buffalo you're referring to are smaller but I don't think they are red? Maybe it's something a normal colored buffalo rolls in some reddish soil?  The Rhino in our area are often reddish looking becasue of what they roll in.  I'll be wathcing for and answer too. I have a dozen big game books from when I was in school in South Afirca. I could not find anything regarding a red buffalo in any of them.

The only red on a buffalo I have seen were the ones we shot and were bleeding!
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
Red Buffalo???
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 10:52:30 AM »
Good answer, JJ. :D

Seems Boddington described them much in the same color of a Bongo.  Though he did say that these weren't "true" forest buffalo that he encountered.  I don't know if the red rubs off the same way it does with bongo or not.  He did say that the younger bulls and cows were remarkedly red the same way the true forest buffalo were.

I've never been, so I can only relate what I've read.

Offline cam0063

Forrest Buffalo...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 11:04:51 PM »
This reply is a little late.

A friend of mine had what is believed to be the only privately owned herd of African Forrest Buffalo outside of their homeland... Sadly these animals died in a fire on his reserve. I believe they did have a red tinge too them... Will check up with him and get some more info on their colouring from birth to adult and whether it was the hair or skin pigmented... They appear to be smaller in frame, with smaller cape and horns [ears appear larger to me, I could be wrong], though just as mean as their bigger cousin! The African Buffalo, one of my favourite animals of all time, true definition of "animal power"!!!

cheers,

Cam....
way Down Under
Western Australia.