Author Topic: davei, Sako?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline billdncn

• Trade Count: (0)
davei, Sako?
« on: November 29, 2004, 11:31:28 PM »
If I read correctly you are, or were, using a Lilja barreled Finnfire. Can you tell me which barrel configuration you have? 21" Sundberg(sp?), 22" sporter, 24"?

Also, can you tell me any other mods. you have or had done? Butt pad, added weight, etc.

any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Offline davei

davei, Sako?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:32:20 AM »
Hi Bill,

I had the Sako Hunter with a 24" Lilja barrel.  No extra weight was required.  I had shoe crepe for the recoil pad and a set of rings from Marv Pearson.  Extremely beautiful and very light rings.  Other than the barrel it was completely stock.  NO!  I saved an ounce by replacing the bolt handle with an aluminum one.  I was using a 6x - 24x Sightron which weighed in at 22oz.  I think I had about 2oz to spare with that configuration.  One of the best .22's I have owned.  Certainly the most accurate.  I believe my new rifle will be done tomorrow so I'll be giving that one to a friend.

Before putting the Lilja barrel on I had put tungsten in the fore end to bring it up to weight and balance.  After getting the barrel I had to remove all the weight.

hope this helps,
dave

Offline billdncn

davei, Sako?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:57:29 AM »
This does help ,thanks.

The 24" Lilja barrel, is this like there sporter(tapered), but just lengthened?
I guess if I contact them they can help me.

Why replace the bolt handle?

Oh yeah........shoe crepe? I'll take a stab and guess this is the bottom of a flip-flop?

The recieptient of this fine piece must be some friend!

Thanks, Bill (hope you don't mind all the questions) Duncan

Offline dave imas

• Avid Poster
davei, Sako?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 07:24:19 AM »
Hi Bill,

No problems with the questions.  Fire away.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Lilja used to have the Sundberg taper in 24" as a stocked barrel.  I believe they now stock it at 21"?  If you want it 24" it is now a special order.  They just extend the taper.  Mine goes from .900" to .700"

I went to a shoe repair shop and bought a sheet of 1" shoe crepe.  Probably 18" x 12".  $5.00  Yes, very similar to the bottom of a flip flop.  Just cheaper and makes quite a few recoil pads.  

I replaced the bolt handle to save weight.  No other reason.  

You know how friendship is.  You take care of eachother as best you can.  This is just a small way to say thanks for all he has done for me.
dave

Offline billdncn

davei, Sako?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 08:37:14 AM »
Gottcha. Thanks!

I have contacted Lilja, and wait there reply.

Did some research and saw were the Sundberg taper (designed for bench shooting) was offered in 24" at one time.

Thanks for all the help! Bill

Offline shootingpaul

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/
davei, Sako?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:56:33 AM »
Hey Dave!
I am your friend! .........................   right?

Pawel
shootingpaul

please feel free and visit my site at:
http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com

GOLF COURSE? - A TOTAL MISUSE OF THE PERFECT RIFLE RANGE!

Offline dave imas

• Avid Poster
davei, Sako?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 04:36:21 AM »
Pavel,

You are, indeed, my friend....  But, with your beautiful wife and lovely children, I just can't imagine you wanting anything more.  Everything else would just pale in comparison!
dave

Offline shootingpaul

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/
davei, Sako?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:57:58 PM »
I just want to wisper quayetly "saaakooooo....... saaaakoooo"

just a hint......
shootingpaul

please feel free and visit my site at:
http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com

GOLF COURSE? - A TOTAL MISUSE OF THE PERFECT RIFLE RANGE!

Offline tirador

davei, Sako?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 07:27:25 PM »
Hello Dave, I am too having Mark Pharr turn my Standard rifle into a hunter with one of his new hunter stocks.  It is a 54 repeater with a SS 24” Schneider ratchet 14 twist barrel.  If the rifle turns out the way I expect I will be using for both classes.  I also have a Sako Finnfire with a 21 and 24 inch Lilja barrels but I am not getting rid of it until the scores I get with the new hunter beat the scores I get with the Sako.

One thing we do not talk much about in this forum is lock time, to me is one of the most important things when shooting rifle silhouette and the Sako Finnfire’s has got to be one of the fastest out there.

I have always wondered why Anschutz chose not to use the new actions with their great match triggers to make some awesome Silhouette hunting rifles; I guess not enough of us to make it worthwhile for them.
Disabled for TOS violation. Earthlink SPAM Blocker

Offline davei

davei, Sako?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 08:12:10 PM »
Hi Tony,

You are exactly right.  It came down to a battle of quality, consistent trigger vs. locktime.  The Sako has the locktime battle won and if they had a trigger that would break consistently at 2lbs i would NEVER have built this new rifle.  In this particular case I chose trigger over lock time.  I've shot great scores with both actions but have found there to be nothing worse than a trigger that changes break weights from shot to shot.  I'll work with the slower Anschutz locktime.  I can overcome that with a quality follow thru.  I've overcome the inconsistent trigger when I have to but it is way more work and will bite you in the hiney when you need it most.
dave

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
davei, Sako?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 09:44:25 AM »
Gents:

I recently spoke with Bryan at Jewell Triggers concerning some work being done on my 40X's trigger. While I had him on the phone, I inquired as to why they had ceased producing BR triggers for the Sako P94S (Finnfire). His response was that there was just not enough demand (in the past) to warrant producing a large batch of them to then have sitting around waiting for orders. I almost gagged at realizing these folks have obvously never heard of LEAN MANUFACTURING - Producing to customer demand, rather than batch & wait to see if it sells.

Anyway, here is a question for all of you out there... Would there be enough of us interested and willing to generate interest in creating enough demand for these folks to make another batch of Sako BR triggers?

If memory serves me correctly, the Sako Finnfire trigger is the same trigger found on ALL Sako M-75 and newer Tikka rifles (Hunter and T3). That may generate enough of a groundswell to get things going. I would be willing to buy 2 triggers.  Any comments, ideas? :cb2:
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline nomad

• Contributor
davei, Sako?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 10:48:26 AM »
Jake,

Dunno. Beretta 'says' that they're working on a trigger. Whether we can depend on that, who knows?
(They may be getting enough flak over the stainless steel problems that they've got floating around that everything else is on the back burner.)

Anyway, I wouldn't jump on a Jewell unless I saw what they were putting out. They make great light triggers but I'm unimpressed with them at any weight above a pound or so. I put one on a M70 hunter and have now gone back to the original trigger. It stacked badly at anything in the 2 pound+ area. (Changing springs didn't make any improvement.)
Anyone want to make an offer on a Jewell M70 unit and the modified (pre-64!) striker that goes along with it?
 :cry:
E Kuney

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
davei, Sako?
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 01:04:32 PM »
Ernie:

I would take you up on the offer, but I already have a Jewell trigger on my 25-06 Ackley Improved M-70 hunting rifle. I had the same problem and ended-up setting the pull weight at 1-1/2 pounds. No more problems.
Regards,
Joaquin B.:cb2: