Author Topic: Are deer scents/lures/urine useless?  (Read 660 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
Are deer scents/lures/urine useless?
« on: November 27, 2004, 04:16:54 AM »
I'd like to garner the opinions of the posters on this subject. I am not sure if they are any good or they work. I have had mixed results over the years concerning their use.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »
my experiences are mixed as well. I have used drags to have deer walk along them sniffing. then I have had deer walk right past others with out paying any attention to it.
this early fall I have had good luck with apple cyder in a spray bottle I have had several deer come in looking for the apples. this happened from several places. then they just stopped coming in to it.
Today I have had 5 deer hold up about 20 yards from my bottle of Tinks 69 and they did not want to come in any closer to it.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 02:31:41 AM »
I think they may work in areas that have little or no hunting pressure but in areas that have a lot of hunters, they do little or even alert the deer.

I have a friend who stated that a buck knows the scent of every doe in his territory. When you add something new, it actually alerts that buck. Something to think about.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 02:41:31 AM »
Quote from: bigbore442001
I think they may work in areas that have little or no hunting pressure but in areas that have a lot of hunters, they do little or even alert the deer.

I have a friend who stated that a buck knows the scent of every doe in his territory. When you add something new, it actually alerts that buck. Something to think about.

I have to agree with you on that. After a while deer seem to know something is wrong when there is scent out. During the rut though it all changes. The bucks get real stupid and have only one thing on there minds. I only use scents during the rut. Other than that I don't use anything and have great success, even in bow season.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline pinduck

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 04:48:25 AM »
One of the guys I hunt with claims cider is the best, he carries a spray bottle of cider with him, of course there are a lot of old abandoned orchards scattered thru the area we hunt so it is a scent the deer are familiar with. Don't know how much it helps but he is quite successful each season.
NRA Life Member 1969

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 06:10:26 AM »
Ive been using apple scent for just this year so far.  Cant say yeah or nay yet.  But I use it differently.  I dont use it so much as an attractant but rather I position them so that I can get a deer to stop in a good shooting spot for me should they happen along.  Ive also used the scent sticks that are like incense.  No results in my limited use, but my buddy says his uncle shot a deer within an hour of lighting one.  Doesnt prove conclusively that was why the deer came in, but obviously it didnt hurt.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 08:05:40 AM »
i have frinds that have had luck with apple juice concentrate pored on a stump or somtin the say the deer will stomp a stump into pices.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 01:43:54 PM »
YES!

Uh, wait. Make that No.

They are actually worse than useless. They will in my opinion more often that not actually be worse than using nothing and will do more harm than good.

Been hunting deer longer than half the folks using this forum have been alive. Never, nada, not once in all those years have I personally witnessed a positive experience of any kind of scent use. A buncha times I've seen negative experiences. Most times I've just not seen a deer at all when scent products were in use so have no way of knowing if the product hurt or just didn't help.

I refuse to use any type at all anymore.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline trophyhunter

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 03:18:22 PM »
I find that natural doe urine works for me i use it as a cover scent spray it around my area and this year i used some exite and took my largest buck todate