Author Topic: Some observations with Triple Seven powder . . .  (Read 689 times)

Offline Bigdog57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Some observations with Triple Seven powder . . .
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:07:37 PM »
It's been a week since I last shot the two 1851 Navy revolvers I have.  The new one (Pietta brass framed .44) shot great, after I replaced the brass bead front sight with a taller blade (made from a nickle coin).  The first shot was a flyer, about six inches low and right.  Either from a clean barrel, or I flinched!  Three shots dead center inside 1", inside the 2" red circle.  Fifth shot a bit left, opened the group to 1.5 inches.  Then the last shot went further left, bringing the actual group to 2.5 inces at 25 yards.  I'm very happy!  This was using 27 grains of Triple Seven, and greased with some Kiwi-brand Mink Oil paste, the only thing I had available.  It sure musta worked!   :grin:
The blade sight on the older '51 (70's era Pietta .44 brass-frame) was taller, so it shot low - after three rounds, the blade blew off!  The JB Weld didn't hold on it.
Got home, and cleaned the new gun.  It went quick and easy, compared to the Pyrodex I'd been using before.  A little gray residue, which wiped out easy.
I decided to do an experiment - I let the old gun go all week, only cleaning it today, a full week later!  It's been rainy and muggy too, lots of humidity here.  Just had a few flecks of rust, not the brown fuzz I woulda had from Pyrodex!  The same gray residue, and it cleaned up very easy.
The Triple Seven lives up to it's "non-corrosive" billing, and defintitely improves the cleaning afterwards.  Accuracy is excellent!
Hmmm . . . gotta get another can of Mink Oil too!   :wink:
But I did order a bunch of new Wonder Wads - I'll see if they shoot as well as the Minked loads.
Boy, these guns are addictive!   :eek:

Offline rcsron

Some observations with Triple Seven powder
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 03:00:21 PM »
Hey BigDog57, glad to hear you had good luck with your Navy. I just got mine today and was wondering what size load to use in the '51' Navy(Pietta). The owners manual gives no specs on 777 and that is what I shoot in my Ruger Old Army. I didn't want to have to buy fffg just for the '51' Navy so I am glad to hear you had such good luck with it I use 25 grs in the Ruger so I thought I might use the same for the Navy. Mine is .44 cal. brass frame also and didn't want to put too much stress on it.
  I really like that 777 because of how easy it is to clean up and like you said if you want to wait awhile before you clean it won't rust away your gun. Of course here in Arizona we don't worry about humidity either so that helps. I am anxious to get out and try that Navy out.

Offline Mark whiz

• Avid Poster
Some observations with Triple Seven powder
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 04:46:59 PM »
I've been using 27gr in my brass 1858 Rem Pietta clone too, and it's a good load.   It's really no more powerful and a 30gr max load of Pyro P  -  so it's safe.
"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)
Aim small.........miss small.
Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!