Author Topic: .500 s&w  (Read 730 times)

Offline sageman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.500 s&w
« on: November 29, 2004, 03:59:31 PM »
How much recoil would the muzzle braked smith 500 recoil and how much would it cost per say

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: .500 s&w
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:39:57 PM »
Quote from: sageman
How much recoil would the muzzle braked smith 500 recoil and how much would it cost per say

Recoil is subject to how you perceive recoil. But it is a handful. I had the S&W500 and it was a heavy kicker, even with the compensator. The heavier the bullet usually the more recoil. You can pick the S&W500 for any where in the area of $750 to $850. I sold my S&W500  when I got my BFR in 500MAG. After a lot on comparison between the two, I like the BFR much better. JMHO  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sageman

• Avid Poster
.500 s&w
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 03:04:20 AM »
is there any comparison on recoil ?

Offline Questor

.500 s&w
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 03:31:49 AM »
My humble opinion about the true heavy recoiling guns is that if you have to ask about it, you won't like it.  The simple fact is that the 500 magnum is the heaviest kicking handgun in existence.
Safety first

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
.500 s&w
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 03:57:43 AM »
Havent shot one yet but theres a guy at the range comes in a shoots and recoil looks pretty stout ... from a watchers stand point looks worse than my 454 casull

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
.500 s&w
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 04:04:38 AM »
Questor, I have to agree with you 100%.

sageman,
The recoil on the 500MAG is not something you can compare to a 44MAG or 454 Casull. To me a 44MAG with hot loads is mild, to others a 44MAG is to much. I am not saying anything bad about anyone being recoil sensitive, but you have to be comfortable shooting a heavy kicker to be effective hunting with it. But if you are asking about the difference between the BFR and the S&W then I can give you that comparison. The S&W500 recoil come straight back at you then a slight upward motion, the BFR rolls back in your hand. Not as painful in your palm in my opinion. When I shot my BFR at the range a lot of people come to see what I am shooting, I offer for them to shoot it, but after they see the recoil, they don't want to try it.  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Questor

.500 s&w
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 05:07:08 AM »
When I'm buying guns I pick the ones that I will be able to shoot enough to become proficient.  It also has to be fun. That's why I've topped out with the 44 magnum. Not that I haven't wanted a 480 Ruger, but the 44 does what I need and the 480 wouldn't give me anything more. If I were buying a gun for that niche today, I'd probably go with a 454 and use lighter loads most of the time. This is because the component costs are low and I could shoot it a lot without spending a fortune for bullets, and without spending time casting.  I think the 454 is also more versatile than the 44.  

The 500 magnum simply doesn't interest me. When guys like Brian Pierce write that it's a heavy recoiling gun that injured his hand, I stand up and take notice. I see it as a novelty gun. Kind of like the BFR 45-70.  I'm glad these physically and ballistically big guns are available to those who want them, but they're not for me.

I don't like the "safe queen" concept. My guns have to be active tools, not just stuff that sits in a glorified jewelry box.
Safety first

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Recoil
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 06:50:47 AM »
You can't say the 500 S&W is the heaviest recoiling handgun around.  You can get contender barrels chambered for the British elephant cartridges.  Don't ask me why you can, I just know they're out there.  Stikes me as insane.  Even if you could tolerate the recoil, those catridges run to serious money, not cheap like the 500 S&W.

As for me, I'll stick to my 445 Super Mag.

BTW: I've heard the 454 Casull is a bit touchy about what bullets you feed it, at least for full house loads.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
.500 s&w
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 04:41:29 PM »
I have a PC500 Hunter 6.5" and I feel the recoil is pretty reasonable. I download it using Universal Clays for lead bullets, and H4227 for hotter loads with lead or jacketed bullets. With any heavy recoiling gun, I consider it best to start with light loads, get used to the gun, and work up as your tolerance expands. Even when you get up to full power loads, they aren't what most people want to use for everyday practice, so the lighter loads are still useful.
Tom

Offline Catfish

.500 s&w
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 02:32:05 PM »
I load alot of liter loads for the .44 mag., but have never fired anything less than full power loads in my .454`s or my .500 S&W. Off hand I`ll shoot eather all day, but the other day I fired 45 rounds of .500 from the bench and that`s all I wanted. Big bores are for everone. For fome of us to shoot and for other to ask why would anyone want to shoot something like that?  :roll: