Author Topic: Condi: Why I Support the Second Amendment  (Read 765 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Condi: Why I Support the Second Amendment
« on: November 28, 2004, 06:11:18 AM »

Nov. 20, 2004
Secretary of State nominee Dr. Condoleezza Rice is a big supporter of the Second Amendment, a commitment cultivated during her days growing up in Bull Conner's Birmingham, Ala., when the shotgun wielded by her father was often the only thing that stood between her family and the Ku Klux Klan.

In 1963, racial violence was "turning her hometown into 'Bombingham' as Alabama’s governor George Wallace fought a federal court order to integrate the city’s schools," writes Rice biographer Antonia Felix.

In excerpts of her book "The Condoleezza Rice Story," reprinted in the London Sunday Times, Felix recounts:

"With the bombings came marauding groups of armed white vigilantes called 'nightriders,' who drove through black neighborhoods shooting and starting fires. [Condi's father] John Rice and his neighbors guarded the streets at night with shotguns.

"The memory of her father out on patrol lies behind Rice’s opposition to gun control today. Had those guns been registered, she argues, Bull Connor would have had a legal right to take them away, thereby removing one of the black community’s only means of defense."

"I have a sort of pure Second Amendment view of the right to bear arms," said the future secretary of state.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 09:35:58 AM »
Grace and wisdom that transcends race or sex. Good woman, God bless her.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:34:57 PM »
As a Bama resident who grew up in the '50s not so far from B'ham all I can say is BS. In her mind maybe but not in the real world. Her family was in no more danger from the KKK than mine was and we we're.

I watched the bomb that was thrown thru the bus window when the blacks came thru my home town of Anniston. We just happened to be driving along that road at the time and saw the bus pulled over and the crowd around it. That happened in the parking lot of Forsyth's Grocery out on Hwy. 202 about 3 miles outside of Anniston. No one was in ropes. It was just an angry bunch of folks who were tired of things being forced onto them by outside trouble makers.  Blacks and whites got along pretty well in Bama over all until outside trouble makers came in. Yeah we went to separate schools but often played together as kids and the trouble only started when outsiders moved in to stir it up.

I was born in '45 and have lived my entire life in the deep south. I personally knew many KKK members and they were fine upstanding members of the community. Once in all my life have I ever seen them in robes and hoods on a mission. White folks as often as black were the target in those days. If a man didn't take care of his family, if he beat them or wasted the money on alcohol that should go on food and clothing for the family he might get a visit and a cross burned in his lawn. As long as he took the hint all was well.

The stories told of what happened here in the south is those days has darn little basis in truth.

This gal will never get my vote. If you believe the robes she wears is really her you're gonna be in for a rude awakening. If it came down to her and Billery I'll just stay home and look at travel brochures. Cuz either way I'll be wishing for a new home country. It can't get much worse either way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Shorty

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
While the KKK in the South gets all of the "print", if I recall correctly, the KKK was even bigger in the North, especially in the '20's!  :shock:
The biggest "chapters" were in states such as Ohio and New Jersey.  If they had few blacks to hate and accost, they had plenty of Catholics (Italians, Irish) and Jews to substitute.  
Gun control laws in northern states were aimed at their minorities-of-choice.

Offline whodowl

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 04:04:41 PM »
Sometimes I feel like movin too.....movin' the clock back 50 years and closing the dam borders.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 05:09:49 PM »
Quote from: whodowl
Sometimes I feel like movin too.....movin' the clock back 50 years and closing the dam borders.

Like Shorty said, there are always someone to substitute.    Some of the founding fathers were even immigrants, or at least their families were.   They (we) all came from somewhere else if you go back enough years.   So where do we draw the line?
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:29:14 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Blacks and whites got along pretty well in Bama over all until outside trouble makers came in.
...and some never left, say Dali Llama.

Offline whodowl

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 02:52:20 AM »
Mr. Major.  Yes.  I understand everyone here came from somewhere else, directly or otherwise, including the American Indian.  They came for different reasons, and they are still coming; that is the problem.  I can't say where all the lines should be drawn for your larger political question, humbly put, I simply don't have all the answers to that question.  What I am saying though, is that we should close the borders to new immigration.   The sheer numbers of new immigrants is becoming overwhelming socially and economically and has also become a dead weight around the neck of the working man.  The Federal give-away programs are all of control, and nearly every new immigrant qualifies for at least one.  I personally would start with one line - the borders.  Draw it and enforce it.  Just a side thought:  In one of the hunting forums someone made the comment 'throw out the corn and they will come'.  Boys, we're throwing out too dam much corn.
Just my thoughts, Major, and nothing derogatory meant to you or your beliefs.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 04:09:48 AM »
Bill I normally agree with you but cannot on this one! My mother now passed away this last year was born in 1916 So I suppose this would have happened in the late 20's and early 30's ) when she was  of school age and was put in a convent run boarding school ( Detroit) until she graduated high school. )Her back ground is was Irish Catholic. She was always afraid at night because of the bastard KKK members that lit crosses on the convent lawns and chanted their hate just because these kids and the nuns teaching them were Catholic!  KKK members upstanding community members? In your mind maybe not mine. I will always have a sore spot for these idiots who scarred the mind of a young woman with fear and who was the target of the KKK abuse and something she could not even control as she was put there by her father who could not take care of her himself. The KKK were no better in their beliefs than Hitler was. No I never lived in the deep south but I did have a mother that was scarred for the rest of her life in fear because of what these bastards did just because she was Catholic. Upstanding members of the community my butt! Furthermore if these KKK members were so upstanding then why did they have to hide behind robes and intimidation? Nope The KKK were nothing but hatefull  white supremacist  thugs who while they were racist towards minoritys were also against any other group who did not fit their idealology such as catholics, jews, other imigrants ect. Not my idea of a upstanding community member?
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 06:23:40 AM »
Maybe in the north. I cannot speak to that as I've never lived there. But in the south what I say is what I saw as I grew up in it. They were not racist and whites as well as blacks were visited as I mentioned. Don't brand all as the same. Broad brush stokes are usually not correct. At least in the south they existed not to perpetuate racism but to keep peace and order in matters that needed some attention but wasn't covered under law. Was their ever abuse? Yes, I'm sure there was. But it wasn't the norm.

Blacks and whites in the south in the days thru the '50s really had few problems. Only after the outsiders came in to stir up matters did racial problems develop. We lived and worked together and for the most part got along fine. Yes we had separate schools. Yes we had separate drinking fountains in businesses. Yes we had separate restrooms in public places. Yes they rode the back of bus and we the front. But they had schools and were taught the same curriculum as us. They had the same and equal facilities as we had. They rode those buses and got where they were going at the same speed as we did.

I can speak only of the south where I was raised just as you can speak only of the north. I'm convinced the hatred and problems came from the north to us in the south. We didn't have those problems until the northeners brought them to us.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 07:00:39 AM »
Maybe in the north. I cannot speak to that as I've never lived there. But in the south what I say is what I saw as I grew up in it. They were not racist and whites as well as blacks were visited as I mentioned. Don't brand all as the same. Broad brush stokes are usually not correct. At least in the south they existed not to perpetuate racism but to keep peace and order in matters that needed some attention but wasn't covered under law. Was their ever abuse? Yes, I'm sure there was. But it wasn't the norm.

Not trying to start anything here but if they werent racist how many blacks or catholics did they count among their ranks?

One of my most important principals I try & live by is to live & let live.  That means to me I'll mind my buisness & you mind yours. I dont care if someones black or Jewish or anything else so long as they dont bother me.

You said you went to different schools but the kids played together.
Thats because kids dont care about skin color or religion. Adults can rarely say this with sincerety.

I cant anyway.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 07:35:23 AM »

Blacks and whites in the south in the days thru the '50s really had few problems. Only after the outsiders came in to stir up matters did racial problems develop. We lived and worked together and for the most part got along fine. Yes we had separate schools. Yes we had separate drinking fountains in businesses. Yes we had separate restrooms in public places. Yes they rode the back of bus and we the front. But they had schools and were taught the same curriculum as us. They had the same and equal facilities as we had. They rode those buses and got where they were going at the same speed as we did.

I can speak only of the south where I was raised just as you can speak only of the north. I'm convinced the hatred and problems came from the north to us in the south. We didn't have those problems until the northeners brought them to us.

Bill the Northern folks after the civil war brought lots of corruption and problems to the south so I do not dispute what you say there and maybe in your area the clan was just a good old boys group that were not as active in other places but History has painted them with a broad brush and I would have to tend to agree with that as a whole they were nothing to brag about. This to me is not a race thing is as much as it is a group that just wants to intimidate folks who are vunerable. Not trying to cause any arguments either but I remember my mother after here getting older and blind how helpless she felt alone at night and how she remembered how the clan scared her and that fear carried on through her whole life. I am sure she is not the only person the clan terrorized white or black or inbetween.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 08:34:05 AM »
We didn't have those problems until the northeners brought them to us.
...and some did not return to north, witnesseth Dali Llama:

http://www.theslaughter.com/bodies.html

http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstream/People/Taylor/taylor-viola.html