Author Topic: Did OK In Maryland  (Read 501 times)

Offline marylandeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Did OK In Maryland
« on: December 03, 2004, 12:48:44 PM »
I was fortunate enough to harvest a nice doe and a nice spike buck so far this rifle season.
Saturday 11/27 (opening day) I got settled in my stand at 6:15am and at 7:15am I saw a nice (95#) doe step into my shooting lane. I shot her behind the shoulder a little high but it worked she fell instantly.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=475
We didn't hunt on Sunday so on Monday I got in my stand at 6:15am and at 7:10 I had a spike buck walk out from directly behind my stand. I didn't hear him or see him until he was straight under me. He walked away from my tree and headed directly to a holly bush that I had drenched with Tinks 69 gel (35 yards out). He tore that bush apart snapped limbs off with his mouth and all. Then he continued to walk away from me never in all of this would he give me a broadside shot. So he got out about 60 yards from me and I whistled at him, he turned and looked at me but he still stayed facing away but kind of bent in the middle (you know what I mean). I knew it was now or never so I aimed just in front of the right hind quarter to hit the far side shoulder and squeezed one off. He took about 4 leaps into the woods and fell deader than dirt.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=474
Worked out perfectly I was even able to recover the bullet from under the hide of the far side shoulder I was shooting 165 gr. 30-06 Sierra game King boat tails from my new Tikka T3.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=478
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=477
My brother got a nice doe (140#) on Monday morning and the landowner shot a HOSS 8 pointer but he does every year, he is able to watch them all the time and he knows where there at.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=476
Sorry this was so long my wife is tired of hearing about it and I’m not done talking about it. I’m going to one of my local spots tomorrow maybe I can bang another one.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND BE SAFE

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 04:17:56 PM »
Opening morning I got a nice doe a little earlier then you got yours
I hunted the same tree until tuesday evening. wensday was rainy and so windy that i didn't go out until the afternoon. i moved my stand to the other side of the farm I did not see any thing that evening. Thursday evening about 4:30 I saw a little 4 pt buck walk out in the field I was sitting off of. It would have been about a 75 yard shot but I let him go very shortly after I put my shotgun down a little doe came out be hind the buck. I let her go too. at about 5:10 a doe walked with in 20 feet of my tree. I decided to play with her some, so i snorted at her and then grunted at her and watched her reactions. It was getting dark fast and I could not see very well anymore so I had to finely chase her off. Deer 3 that I could have shot but let go :shock:  Then when I came out in the field walking to my truck I saw a very very large doe only 30 yards from me. This time it was way past legal shooting hours so I played with this doe as well  I was able to convince her I was just a funny looking deer and I was able to walk around her with out her giving me a second thought. so I let 4 deer walk away.

This evening I didn't see any deer until I was in  my truck going home in the last field on the farm I saw a heard of 6 does and 1 med. buck. I guess I will be moving my stand tomorrow afternoon :-D

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 03:02:32 AM »
rickyp
          Good job. !!!!

I have been doing good this season also.  My hunting partner took a big doe opening day of muzzle loader season. And I have taken a 4 pointer and two does so far.  We are hunting Government property in Thurmont Maryland there is very little hunting pressure as you have to be in the military to hunt this area.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »
Well I got another doe Saturday morning. I saw her out in the field at first light but I wasn't going to shoot her. She was a little to small, so I just watched her hoping a bigger doe would come out. We have to shoot two does before we can shoot our second buck in Maryland (region B). After grazing for about an hour she was on her way back into the woods. I took a 185 yard shot at her and she fell instantly. She was only 60# but thats ok with me. (YUMMY YUMMY)
GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND BE SAFE

Offline rickyp

Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 12:01:24 PM »
It being sunday today I took advantage of it to get my hunting loths washed and dryed outside on the line. I just got back in from scouting around and moiving my stand. I normaly hunt one place for about 3-4 days before I move. but If I am still seeing deer I will sit tight untill they cought on to me.

During my scoutting I found one shead antler that had 5 pts on it, it was not far away from the place I put my stand so I know know there is at least another large deer on the farm.

Offline rickyp

Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:31:34 PM »
these are some deer that I cough with my deer camera. it was set up in 2 different locations both of them where about 20 feet from my stand.

you can't see it but there are several does in the background

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 12:39:35 PM »
Wow your loaded with deer. It must be nice knowing you have a 10 pointer running around out there also. I hope you get him.

Offline rickyp

Did OK In Maryland
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 12:48:47 PM »
I have counted as many as 10 in a field at one time (this year alone)
I have taken the biggest I have seen off this farm.
the only problem is I can only hunt as a guest of the guy that has permission and the owner is funny he know that I am the only other person to hunt with the guy, but will not give me my own permission slip