Author Topic: Ohio NRA license plates  (Read 780 times)

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Ohio NRA license plates
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:27:14 PM »
I get a funny feeling about this in the long run.

ednesday December 1, 5:00 pm ET

TOLEDO, Ohio, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence (OCAGV) is surprised and pleased that the Ohio legislators and the National Rifle Association, NRA, are encouraging gun owners to publicly identify themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Ohio Senate today passed a bill, Amended Substitute Bill HB 329, with a vote of 28-0, creating a National Rifle Association license plate. The license plate will be issued on completion of registration with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

In all the considerations of bills concerning firearms in the state of Ohio, secrecy has been one of the most important issues to the gun lobby. Earlier this year, the Ohio legislators passed a bill allowing the secret and hidden carrying of concealed weapons.

The Ohio Coalition Against Violence Executive Director, Toby Hoover, reacted with surprise to the passage of the bill that authorizes National Rifle Association license plates in Ohio.

"Now we will see many Ohio gun owners voluntarily register themselves with the state of Ohio," Hoover said in response to passage of the bill. "I am a bit astonished, given the strong opposition of the NRA to registering gun owners. But soon we'll know who has the guns by the license plates on their cars."

"An NRA license plate will, ironically, be helpful to our police," Hoover added. "When they see the NRA symbol, they'll know that the driver may be packing heat in his car and take appropriate precautions."

The registration of these plates by gun owners will now serve the safety of Ohioans by providing identification to law enforcement, other drivers, employers, and neighbors.

"Unfortunately the revenue from these plates will further finance the powerful NRA instead of contributing to violence prevention. Funding conflict resolution or giving funds to survivors of gun violence -- as well as trauma centers that routinely deal with gun shot injuries -- would have been more appropriate," said Toby Hoover, Executive Director of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence.

The Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence is a statewide non-profit organization with a mission to reduce and prevent gun violence by fostering a culture of non-violence in our communities.

Gun Runner

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
soon we'll know who has the guns by the license plates on their cars
Dali Llama say that such license plate sound to him like enticing invitation to burglar. :(
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:14:28 PM »
Somehow I doubt that many people will find these desireable.
I belong to the NRA but I dont need a NRA plate on my truck. I have a sticker, right next to my NAHC & others I put there cuz I want to.
I'v been asked why I'm not afraid someone will rob my truck & to be honest the thought never ocured to me till asked. I generally dont leave guns in my truck if I'm not in it & if they want to steal my radio or otherwise rob it I figure that sticker would be a deterant as it suggests the owner is likely to have something more potent than a cell phone at hand if the thief gets caught.  :lol:
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline OrangeWing

Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 03:48:09 PM »
I would want one on any of my trucks, cars, motorcycles.  You are just asking some one to TRY & steal all your guns.

Offline Dali Llama

Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:43:14 AM »
Quote from: Leverdude
I figure that sticker would be a deterant as it suggests the owner is likely to have something more potent than a cell phone at hand if the thief gets caught.  

Dali Llama say therein lie the problem.  Dali say that if locale be such that thief and/or his lookouts able determine there be no one around, aforesaid nogoodnik likely be enticed by sticker which be indicative of possible presence of weaponry he/she can quickly sell on street for drug money.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 04:50:20 AM »
Like Leverdude, I have had an NRA decal on all of my vehicles since I was in high school. Never had any kind of problem. Never even considered it. If my gun is in my truck, I am too. This sounds to me like a fund raising project for the NRA, and if so....Good. They need all they can get to continue the fight for our rights. I appreciate them and support them100% :D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Dali Llama

Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 07:36:16 AM »
Quote from: twodollarpistol
This sounds to me like a fund raising project for the NRA, and if so....Good. They need all they can get to continue the fight for our rights. I appreciate them and support them100% :D
Dali Llama say it not a question of support for NRA, but of not wanting to alert  John Q. Nogoodnik to possibility of weaponry in vehicle available for heisting.

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:27:14 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Quote from: Leverdude
I figure that sticker would be a deterant as it suggests the owner is likely to have something more potent than a cell phone at hand if the thief gets caught.  

Dali Llama say therein lie the problem.  Dali say that if locale be such that thief and/or his lookouts able determine there be no one around, aforesaid nogoodnik likely be enticed by sticker which be indicative of possible presence of weaponry he/she can quickly sell on street for drug money.

I hear ya Dali & apreciate your point. I'v often sad similar things to younger people I know who cover ther cars & trucks with stickers bragging about stereo equip & such. To be honest, IMO these are the people asking for trouble. tho I wouldnt mind if some of them lost their audio stuff. Its nerve racking when the car next to you makes your car rattle the Gangster Rap is so loud.

Also I dont frequent places where this is likely to occur, I know noplace is safe but believe firmly that theres alot a person can do to avoid being a victim of crime. The first rule is be aware of your surroundings & it sure helps if you avoid high risk areas.

Thanks for your concern.  :D

Live long & prosper!
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Glanceblamm

Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 06:07:46 AM »
I appreciate all points and have displayed stickers and rear window gun racks. These day's however I display nothing.
I have gone as far as to sell the fancy gun cabinet that used to proudly display my collection in the living room in favor of a hidden vault. This is all in the intrest of preventing theft.

Offline Dali Llama

Ohio NRA license plates
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 10:02:21 AM »
Quote from: glanceblamm
I have displayed stickers and rear window gun racks. These day's however I display nothing.
I have gone as far as to sell the fancy gun cabinet that used to proudly display my collection in the living room in favor of a hidden vault.

Dali Llama say glanceblamm be wise man. :-)