Author Topic: Forkston  (Read 364 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Forkston
« on: December 06, 2004, 03:10:15 AM »
Wow. This is big fellas. I just got back from deer camp on Sunday afternoon. I spent four days in a place called Forkston; just outside of Mahoopany and the Procter & Gamble plant for those who know the area. There were some friends of mine who have a camp down there and we went down Wednesday night. I got acquainted with some of those I weren't too familiar with and I got settled in and played poker. Went to bed about midnight.

Got up Thursday. Packed our meals for the day (breakfast was a sandwich and some Reses  :) ) and headed out. We huffed it up a foot trail and through some woods and onto a road that encompassed the whole hunting area. The woods were State Gamelands and we did run into another hunter in the adventure. But the plan was for me to spot and stalk along an old railroad grade until I met a fork in the grades and take the high one until noon then I'd meet up w/ my friend for lunch. We met up and then I sat down in the same woods until he came back and we went back to camp around 4:30. Ate dinner (pre-made scalloped potatoes and ham...wasn't bad). Poker. Bed @ 11:00.

Friday felt like a good day. Colder in the AM than the previous day and we did the same routine. This time the hike was a little easier and the hunting was going to be more adventerous. I had a map and a compass. I was to walk the road until I found a benchmark that was on the map...go on a little further into the woods and still hunt that back until I met up w/ my friend. Didn't quite happen that way. I walked a little more than half a mile past the benchmark before I looked at the map and the road and the crick that flowed next to it and realized that something wasn't right. So I headed back and eventually found the benchmark. I went in the woods right there and hunted almost to where I was supposed to and met w/ my friend for lunch. We went down to the crick and sat for a lil while. Went back a lil earlier today @ 3:45. Had dinner (pre-made beef stew). Poker. Another fella came into camp and he wanted bed @ 10.

Saturday....my adventure comes through here. Got up...same routine except for one thing. We would be hunting a new stretch of woods. We were going to cross the crick and then hunt the woods across it. Well, in the process we had to walk some on the same side. It was in the lower 20's that morning and due to the excessive rain the previous day or two there was excessive water flowing off the mountain. And it came time to cross a ledge that was about 5" narrow and there was water falling off of it. I almost made it across but almost don't count. I slipped on some black ice and took a swim. I tried to grab my gun but it slid off into the icy brown water. I grabbed a rock on the way downstream and was able to cling on. I went to camp and a couple of hours later through a complete miracle, I got my gun back. Need a new scope. The scope filled up w/ water and is now useless.

Sunday was plain. Good breakfast and breakdown of camp. Kinda sad to be home.  :cry: . Oh well. That's my adventure. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Forkston
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:54:35 PM »
Definitely an "adventue".  Glad to hear that you were not injured.  Too bad about the rifle scope.  But now you can post on Graybeard about what scope to replace it with  :lol: .  Did you see any deer?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline JPSaxMan

Forkston
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 02:18:34 PM »
:-D . I'm already looking at a Bushnell Banner w/ the BDC reticle for $80. Not bad. Did see deer. All does. And I would have taken them, but I was in a different WMU than my tag was valid in. Oh well. It was fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat (minus the crick part  :)  :-D ).  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding