Author Topic: Liberal backbencher gets vote on funding gun registry  (Read 440 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Liberal backbencher gets vote on funding gun registry
« on: December 08, 2004, 08:06:42 AM »
Last Updated Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:14:46 EST

OTTAWA - Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan says she's disappointed that a Liberal backbencher wants to cut funding to the federal gun registry.

Roger Gallaway, the MP for Sarnia-Lambton, has called for a vote in the House of Commons on Thursday on whether to continue funding for the National Firearms Program.

The program was initially supposed to cost $2 million. But a report by the auditor general has pegged the true cost over the past nine years at more than $1 billion.

Gallaway says he supported the federal gun registry when it was first proposed in 1995. But he had no idea how much it would end up costing.

"I was told at that time that it would cost $85 million and that it would be a simple program; that it would be effective. Well, we now know that there's been $1 billion spent and that there's effectively no end in sight."

Gallaway has called for a vote in the House of Commons on whether to keep funding the gun registry.

McLellan says she isn't happy that a member of her own party is putting the future of the gun registry in jeopardy. "I would be disappointed if anyone did that but particularly disappointed when that person comes from the government and from the Liberal party."

With only a minority in the House, the Liberals can't guarantee they'll be able to win the vote.

Most Conservatives are against the program, as are some Liberals and New Democrats, so it may be the Bloc Quebecois that ends up keeping the gun registry afloat.

Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe says his 54 MPs will vote to continue the funding.

Written by CBC News Online staff
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

Liberal backbencher gets vote on funding gu
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 04:01:52 PM »
Canada one of the places that folks with half a brain here ought to look at   to see how liberalism can screw up a country! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:36:39 PM »
very very bad timing. monday was the 15 year anniversary of the Montreal school shooting that started this whole mess. most gun owners here knew it wouldn't pass. i'm getting really sick of all the government bullsh*t that is attached to guns. if i want to import a part from the States i have to pay a $100 tax! if i want to own a pistol i can only shoot it at an approved range and i have to get permission to take it farther than my front door! the b*tch that started all this thinks that any man who owns a gun is a potential killer of women and children!!.  i love my country and despise my government!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 08:14:51 PM »
Sorry Kevin Good point The Gov is different from the country for sure.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:34:13 AM »
Quote from: kevin.303
the b*tch that started all this thinks that any man who owns a gun is a potential killer of women and children!!.  
:twisted:  :x  :evil:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk