Author Topic: Can you make casting alloy softer???  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

• Trade Count: (0)
Can you make casting alloy softer???
« on: November 27, 2002, 06:29:11 AM »
Is there a way to seperate lead out of casting alloy?  I would like to make some pure lead bullets but all I have are Wheelweights.
thanks
walt
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline 35Whelen

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 03:54:53 AM »
Walt if you have any medical facilities in your area, such as hospitals, watch for remodeling operations especially if they have x-ray equipment. The rooms that hold this equipment have walls with pure lead lining them.
  Also, if you know any repairmen who work for the phone company, plumbers or roofers, they many times have access to scrap lead.
  I live in north Texas. If was a little closer to you, I'd try to get some to you as I have some extra. E-mail me at ggibbs@sbcglobal.net and maybe we can make some sort of arrangement someday.
   Greg

P.S.- I used to live between Winnsboro and Mount Vernon. Isn't Cypress in that area?
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 04:41:50 PM »
:D WALT...sorry this took so long but i found something in the BLACK POWDER LOADING MANUEL..4th EDITION BY SAM FADALA........hE TALKS ABOUT CLEANING LEAD TO ATTEMPT TO GET IT AS PURE AS POSSIBLE...HE FIRST STATED THE MIXTURE HAS TO BE HEATED TO 800 DEGREES,YA MIGHT WANT A THERMOMETER FER THIS ONE...he then says to skim off the surface to get rid of the stufff on top..he goes on to say that this dross that is removed will not go into the solution at this temperature so it can be removed at this pot because it has come to the surface......he then goes on to say to flux it well and skimm again......small amounts of tin,and antimony will probabley remain in the mixture but will not be a problem for casting bullits fer the muzzleloader..this would include rb and conicals.....i hope this helps you a little....a have done this in the past while casting for my bpcr rifles,and have found that  it works very well..i just did not know why i was really doing it encept to get the ..' JUNK ' out...good luck...king :grin:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 05:48:31 PM »
You can get a lot of the hard stuff out by skimming the surface and let it cook and keep skimming,that will soften it up for you. :D
If you get a good idea follow it to the end. Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.