Author Topic: Stainless steel VS Blue  (Read 1061 times)

Offline The deerslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Stainless steel VS Blue
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:36:37 PM »
What is the difference between a stainless steel and a blued gun? I heard that the stainless steel is stronger is it true?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »
Generally speaking, no.  The finish doesen't wear off stainless as it does on a blued gun.  Stainless is a bit more resistant to rust, and scratches don't seem to show as badly and can sometimes be buffed or polished out without having to refinish.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 10:51:58 AM »
and stainless is a bit more resistent to the weather
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:51:07 AM »
To be fair "true" stainless is quite strong and more weather resistant.  Unfortunately it is also much harder to machine which is why most parts we see made of stainless is actually softened with alloys.  Just some useless info I thought might be of interest.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline williamlayton

Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 12:59:26 AM »
Most good quality guns, and well I guess even poorer quality ones, have steel, sainless or otherwise, which will stand regular pressures, or pressures designed for the weapon being used. I said that as a disclaimer cause I know some of you boys and your fondness to push the envelope :D.
Finish choices are kind of like choosing a wife, you pick the qualities important to you. I like stainless weapons because of the lasting of the finish and durability to the elements.
If it is a concealment or military issue then I guess you have need for another route, though stainless can be overlaid with many different finishes. Then your back to square one and trying to protect tha finish.
Jest to add confusion to the discussion. :oops:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mohawk

Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:13:36 AM »
Unfortunately, they quit making nickel finished revolvers due to the EPA stepping in. They were much more durable than blue, prettier than stainless, and still used the strong carbon steel.

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »
Quote from: New Hampshire
To be fair "true" stainless is quite strong and more weather resistant.  Unfortunately it is also much harder to machine which is why most parts we see made of stainless is actually softened with alloys.  Just some useless info I thought might be of interest.
Brian M.

yeah stainless is hard to machine I had to turn trailer balls on lathe
in high school and the teacher would get kinda miffed if a cutting tool
became dull
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline williamlayton

Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »
I believe they still nickle finsh weapons, but most reports from folks is the finish is not as durable as hard chrome.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mohawk

Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 02:13:04 AM »
They still use a low grade nickel. It is all they are allowed to use.The high luster bright nickel older S&W owners know is long gone, as is the durability of the old original nickel. You can still get a re-nickel but it is not the same. It has been "loaded down" so to speak. Kind of like calling a .38 158gr. at 890fps a +P :)

I like the chrome finish and they are very durable. Hard to find though unless it is a re-finish.

Offline Big Buck

Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 11:50:53 AM »
Having carried handguns professionaly for years I found stainless to be a lot easier to maintain and easier to keep clean. My first ones were blued. it did not take long for the bluing to wear off, particulary at the end of the barrel.

NRA Life Member

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can read this in English thank a soldier. In memory of Spec. James Wolf 1982-2003 U.S. Army

Offline KYsquirrelsniper

• http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html
Re: Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 07:53:43 PM »
Quote from: The deerslayer
I heard that the stainless steel is stronger is it true?

Before I get started, I'll say that I'm speaking from what I know about rifles and rifle barrels, but I assume it would apply to handguns too.

There's several grades of steel, and even steel that is supposed to be of the same grade can vary a bit. Gun manufacturers also use different grades of steel and often from different suppliers. But to get to the main point...

In general, the grade of stainless steel used by most manufacturers has a lower Rockwell rating than the chromoly they use. Since the stainless is a bit softer, it is more prone to wear and galling. However, stainless resists heat erosion better, which is one reason it's so popular for aftermarket rifle barrels, as the throat doesn't burn out as quickly.

So, depending on how you look at it, stainless could actually be weaker. For all practical purposes though, if you stick a load into a gun that's hot enough to seriously damage it, you'd probably be up the old s#!+ creek whether the gun is stainless or not :wink:
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Nickle
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 01:55:39 AM »
There are two different nickle finishes.  Electroplated nickle, the tradional nickle finish and the newer electroless nickle plating.  These are two entirely different processes and they produce different results.  As in blueing, the polishing under the finish makes a diffeence.

Offline DWARREN123

• Avid Poster
Stainless steel VS Blue
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 09:52:59 AM »
I just like matte stainless!!!