Author Topic: The big one got away  (Read 467 times)

Offline 270hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
The big one got away
« on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:29 PM »
I went out hunring during early November, in clarke county virginia. Me and My uncle climbed up in the stand and got ready and prayed for the days hunt, about 6:30 a.m. He was hunting with a 30-06 and i was hunting with a 30-30. About 7:30 my uncle spotted some deer in the fence row. we were hunting a pretty big corn field and there was a green field right next to us bordering the other property. So we scoped the deer and was a REALLY NICE BUCK. :lol: So we waited for him to jump the fence. the he junped the fence on to our property, and i put the crossarrows right behind his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. It was about a 125 yard shot. he dropped like a sack of potatoes. so we watched the doe run off that was with him. Then we unloaded the guns and climbed down. we got about 25 yards from the buck and we watched it jump  up and jump the fence  :shock: it was hurt bad. and we couldnt get a shot. It had jumped onto the other peoples property. So....we asked the people to check there property for the deer and we never found it.

So, that evening me and my dad went out. I sat in the same stand while he went to his stand. about dark i noticed aome deer over the corn of the fence, and i noticed one was limbing. then i scoped it and i couldnt get a shot cause of a bunch of brush in the way. then i looked over and seen my dad walking down the logging road. The buck spotted him and took off thas the last time i seen that buck. I'm still huntin him but haven't seen him yet.
GET-ER-DONE :-D

Invalid e-mail account. Contact Graybeard via e-mail to get account reactivated.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
The big one got away
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »
That is why I am ALWAYS leary of any big game animal that drops at the shot. Keep it loaded and on him for awhile.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline 270hunter

The big one got away
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
yea dont worry i learned my lesson big time. Thanks for replying

Invalid e-mail account. Contact Graybeard via e-mail to get account reactivated.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
The big one got away
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 12:36:24 AM »
yea dont worry i learned my lesson big time. Thanks for replying

Yep and I have learned mine a couple of times. Hopefully he will turn up again. Just don't beat yourself up.

AND ALWAYS BE LEARY OF THOSE QUICK DROPS. A high shot very near the spine will drop them like a rock, but it only STUNS them for a few minutes or moments, same with a misguided brainpain shot and neck shot.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline 270hunter

The big one got away
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 07:33:52 AM »
yea. thanks a bunch. and good luck the rest of the season. And i hope i do see him again. thanks