Author Topic: My First Texas WT  (Read 375 times)

Offline FOsteology

• Trade Count: (0)
My First Texas WT
« on: December 18, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »
I've lived in Texas since 1988 and this is the first year I've hunted WT. In my area there is NO public land. Lease and day hunts are BIG business in Texas, and can get quite expensive. I was lucky enough this year to do some bartering for a WT hunt and ended up taking an 8 point.

Not a bad start to my Texas WT deer hunting.

Protect your hunting freedoms....Join the NRA

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
My First Texas WT
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 09:19:58 AM »
Cograts. to you FOsteology he's a nice one. I have always wanted to hunt in Texas but I hate rattle snakes.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
My First Texas WT
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 10:46:19 AM »
Nice buck, FOsteology. I know what you mean about expensive leases. I know of some decent land that might be available for not too steep (less than $1000/gun) for all species, year-round lease, small enough parcells for one or two guns. It's in Gonzales County close to you, and the deer quality around here is in the neighborhood of the buck shown above or even better.

No public land means you must either pay for a lease or own land, which is the downside. The upside is that you get what you pay for, in that you have the land all to yourself and within owner limits can exercise a great degree of control over harvest criteria, food plots, feeding, etc. I wouldn't go back to public hunting on a bet, it just doesn't come close to private land in terms of overall hunt quality.

PM me if you want to know more about the land.

Marylandeer,

Only in the brush country of deep South Texas are rattlesnakes a factor in deer hunting. I've hunted for thirty years in S central TX and have never seen a rattlesnake during hunting season. They live here, but are not overly common and are seldom seen. Cooler weather puts a big crimp on their activity.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline FOsteology

My First Texas WT
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 11:02:24 AM »
Huntsman,

Sent you a PM. I'm interested in learning more about this place in Gonzales county. :grin:

You're right, public hunting in Texas leaves alot to be desired. Too many stories about guys in East Texas shooting at everything that moves, "hunters" walking in to your area while your hunting, etc....
Protect your hunting freedoms....Join the NRA