Author Topic: Tanfoglia pistols versus CZ made?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Tanfoglia pistols versus CZ made?
« on: November 23, 2002, 12:12:47 PM »
I had one long ago back when CZs were hard to get into the country. Seemed the equal of a CZ to me. I'd say go for it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
re CZ-75 vs. Tangfolio
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 05:41:32 AM »
My dad and I both have CZ-75Bs.  A friend of ours has a polymer frame Witness (Tangfolio).  All 3 are in 9mm.

The Witness does not throw brass as far as the CZs.  The polymer frame Witness pistols have a slightly smaller grip than the CZs, but the steel frame pistols are about the same.  There is still a difference between the feel of the steel Witness and the CZ.  The Witness sweeps in more toward the top of the grip and seems to have a longer, flatter beavertail.

As far as reliability and accuracy, there's not real difference between the two.  To decide which one to get, pick both up, shoot both if you can, then decide if the CZ is better for you, and if it is, how much better.

Offline JohnK

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 08:27:25 AM »
Just a repeat actually logged in...

I have a full size steel frame Witness 9mm and it's been an excellent gun. 100% reliable (so far) and very accurate, around 3" off the bench at 50 yards when I'm having a good day. I'd get another one based on my experiences with this one.

When I got mine the price couldn't be beat either, $275 out the door NIB. I've certainly gotten my moneys worth from it.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 05:34:55 AM »
OK, I'll be one of the naysayers and recommend going with the genuine Czech made CZ-75. About the only exception to this would be the Solothurn made AT-84. Both have forged frames and slides, safeties in the right place, and parts are easily available to repair them if needed. Plus you can convert the real one to .22LR if you want to. I wouldn't give up my '78 model for a whole truckload of the Italian copies!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 04:55:44 AM »
OK, I'll be one of the naysayers and recommend going with the genuine Czech made CZ-75. About the only exception to this would be the Solothurn made AT-84. Both have forged frames and slides, safeties in the right place, and parts are easily available to repair them if needed. Plus you can convert the real one to .22LR if you want to. I wouldn't give up my '78 model for a whole truckload of the Italian copies!

Hate to tell you this, Nobade, but the frames on CZ pistols are not forged.  The slides are forged, but the frames are made via investment casting.  The exception here is the aluminum frames, which are forged.  The frame of any steel CZ pistol is cast, not forged.

Also, Tangfolio did make a .22 lr conversion kit at one point in time, but you don't see them state-side very often.  I have only seen one, it was mounted on a CZ-75 (pre-B) frame.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying that one (had both 9mm and .22 setups, but had the .22 mounted).

That said, don't worry about cast frames.  Proper investment casting will produce a gun at least as strong as any forged gun, if not a stronger gun.  All of Ruger's steel frames are investment cast.  Caspian uses cast frames in some 1911 pistols.  Dan Wesson's SuperMags are built on cast frames.

Back to the CZ vs. Tangfolio debate, it's really down to which one fits you better.  If you can shoot both, that would be the best way to decide, but handle both at the very least.  Like Nobade, I wouldn't trade my CZ-75 (B model) for a "truckload of Italian copies", but I also wouldn't reject the idea of buying the Tangfolio.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 11:38:59 AM »
Thanks to Securitysix for setting me straight - I get to learn something or two every day!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."