Author Topic: Question for Gray Beard and his blueberries!  (Read 717 times)

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for Gray Beard and his blueberries!
« on: December 20, 2004, 07:31:14 AM »
I noticed in one of your post in another forum that you had a blueberry farm.  My mother is trying to grow blueberries but has had some trouble.  We live in Bama as you and was wondering what advise you could give on growing in the Bama climate zone?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Question for Gray Beard and his blueberries
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:19:29 AM »
Really need a bit more info. Pretty wide variety of climate in Bama. I'm about as far north as you can successfully raise rabbiteye blueberries and I don't get a decent crop every year. Had my best ever last year which followed a rather poor one the year before.

If south of a line that goes thru Gadsden you should be using rabbiteye bushes for sure. North of there you might be better off with high bush blueberry bushes. I've had no success at all with high bush here tho. You MUST have a minimum of two varieties of the same type.

Types are:

1. low bush aka native huckleberry
2. rabbiteye
3. high bush

Blueberries are acid loving plants. They must have a highly acidic soil to survive and prosper. When newly planting bushes grown in pots use at least two big shovels of peat moss in each hole. Dig the holes at least twice the diameter of the pot they are in. Mix the peat with native soil in bottom of hole and set plant on this after removing from pot. Finish filling hole with native soil. Leave a depression from 1" to 2" around the plant in the hole you dug. This is a catch basin for water.

Keeping them watered regularly is the key to keeping them alive. For the first two summers newly planted bushes MUST be watered regularly if it's not raining. They have a shallow root system and it grows slowly. Acidic soil and water are key to survival and healthy growth.

After a couple years you can add about 4 oz. of fertilizer around each plant each year or every other year. Do this in February. You can use a general purpose ie, 9-9-9, 11-11-11 or 13-13-13 fertilizer or better yet get a soil sample and add what is recommended.

If you're planting a lot of them to need rows plant them 6' apart in the rows and 12' apart for row spacing. If you'll be growing only a few you can space closer if you like. If only a single row you can let them grow into a continuous hedge. Again if only a few alternate the varieties in your row for better pollenation. If farming them alernate varieties by row.

If you need more detailed info either call me at 256-435-1125 or if close enough to Jacksonville you can drop by and we'll walk down into my orchard and I can show you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:23:17 AM »
I'm listed on both of those Dali. On the second one anyone who doesn't have Spybot will get several spyware programs added to your computer. Plus two pop ups. Hate sites like that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
On the second one anyone who doesn't have Spybot will get several spyware programs added to your computer. Plus two pop ups.
How do Graybeard acquire such knowledge, inquire Dali Llama? :?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:45:53 AM »
Dali, do a Google search for Spy-Bot Search and Destroy. Down load the program and add it to your computer. Do an update and make sure to IMMUNIZE against all known bad programs. If you select the option to tell you when it blocks a down load of a spyware then it will let you know each time it does so. This is how I know.

The program is freeware so will not cost you anything. And it it not spyware itself as many programs which purport to be blockers of spyware really are. If you have no such program on your computer with all the sites you visit I'd bet you have hundreds of such on your computer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »
Thanks GB.

We live near Hackleburg, AL (Home of Sunny James) which is in the northern zone of Alabama.  I know nothing of the growing of blueberries but my mother really wants to grow them.  I'll pass along your advice and offer and she may want to talk.

Again, GB, I thank you for the help.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:34:34 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Dali, do a Google search for Spy-Bot Search and Destroy. Down load the program and add it to your computer. Do an update and make sure to IMMUNIZE against all known bad programs. If you select the option to tell you when it blocks a down load of a spyware then it will let you know each time it does so. This is how I know.

Thank you, respond Dali Llama. :grin: