Author Topic: santa must be a hunter........  (Read 339 times)

Offline squidkid

• Trade Count: (0)
santa must be a hunter........
« on: December 20, 2004, 06:37:24 AM »
last week or so, a friend of mine gave me a 10 yr. old, 12 gauge tracker II. after putting 8 painful shots thru it and not really likely the rifle sights, i began my search to improve this gun. i looked into replacements stocks, adding weight to buttplate and forearm, buttplate recoil pads and having it drilled and tapped for a scope.
 i went to my gunsmith an hour ago, where he informed me that he wont drill and tap that barrel because of its thickness. he informed me that a cantilever base could be installed on this gun for around $100(cost of removing front and back sights, adding cantilever and reblueing).
 his next suggestion was for me to trade my gun in for a new ultra slug hunter in 12 or 20 gauge................i looked at them both and decided that the 20 would be the one if i decided to trade(nice gun for my son in a few years plus i have a 12 remington for myself).......................

waiting for the 'deal' to be offered, i distinctly heard a faint Ho Ho Ho from the backroom of the shop......he returned and said " i'll let you have it out the door for $110"

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME :grin:  :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
santa must be a hunter........
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 12:56:12 PM »
How was he going to add a cantilevered mount? I just picked one up of gunbroker for $ 82.00 or I might have taken you up on the $110.00 deal. post it in the H&R/nef Classifieds. MSP RET has info on a good smith that will d&T it for you.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Huntennut, can you comment if it was you?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 01:18:09 PM »
If you supply the H&R scope mount (rail) I think the cost for a drill and tap with enlarging (to 8/40's I think) the holes on the rail, bottomtapping the holes for full thread engagement, flat filing the bottom of the screws to proper length for full thread engagement and attaching with epoxy and screws is about $40.00, what I would consider a real deal, you supply the scope rail. One of the guys that sent a 12 gauge barrel in to Ed was Huntennut  if I remember correctly and he was happy with the work and the time it took. Maybe we can find him to comment. I have had 2 done, a smoothbore and a Tracker II, they are both great!!!. As a matter of fact my 12 gauge smoothbore shoots the Brenneke Rotwiell MP slugs so well I have been toying with the idea of selling or trading my Tracker II barrel with the scope rail attached, I never use it.  I know many out there want and need a slug gun that can shoot sabots out to 100,125, 150 yards but I hunt the swamps and thick stuff and 50 yards is the most I can see, and thats in a clearing!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley