Author Topic: Processing Deer  (Read 839 times)

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Processing Deer
« on: December 18, 2004, 03:36:17 AM »
I am thinking about processing my own deer.  When I was very very young I remember processing deer.  It has been many years but I might try my hand at processing the next deer I take.

I believe I have the knifes.  But, what about the saw?  Does a hacksaw work?  Or should I buy a bonesaw or a Wyoming type saw?

Also, if you have any tips on processing your own deer, please let me know.

Thanks,
Doug

Offline JPSaxMan

Processing Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 05:01:46 AM »
Well, it's really not that hard. With the exception of the backstraps (which most people would crucify you if you didn't take care of them like your own kid) most of the meat can just be taken right off the bone. The roasts are the rump of the deer and are usually either used for roasts or cut for steaks. The ribs obviously can either be used for ribs or the meat can be ground up for chuck meat. The rest of it, like I said, is meat peeled off the bone and can be either cubed up or thrown in the meat grinder. The backstraps run right along the back and I like to cut them off and just leave them as they are (quarter them to fit your bags and etc.). But I think that's about it. But I ususally miss something anyway  :-D. Good luck and take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline JPSaxMan

Processing Deer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »
PS; the only thing you will need the saw for is to split the deer down the middle. My friend who helped me process my deer last year had one of those fancy-shmancy Craftsman reciprocating saws that just sawed right through the backbone like nuttin. But I'm sure a regular hacksaw would work fine. That's how I've always seen it done, but someone else might do it differently. C-ya later.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Processing Deer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 05:45:32 AM »
I've never sawed the deer in 1/2.  I fillet the backstraps off each side of the backbone while hanging upside down from just behind the rump to just behind shoulder.  It peels off in about a 3' long strip.  Then I cut backstraps into butterfly steaks.  The shoulders come right off without cutting through any bone by slicing right next to the carcass.  After cutting neck & hind end off I throw the carcass away unless I can salvage some stew meat between neck & shoulder.  For steaks, I partially freeze each hind 1/4 after sawing thru pelvis so it saws easily for steaks- Usually 6-7 steaks per1/4 unless you want more roast.  The rest of the hind end can be either stew or roasts depending on how many steaks you cut off.  I cut up neck & shoulders for stew also.
Don't forget the tenderloins inside. They're hiding under the fat inside the pelvis under the backbone.  These 2 morsels are my first fruits usually the same day.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Processing Deer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 08:22:58 AM »
You don't need a saw for ANYTHING unless you plan on getting fancy "Bone-in steaks".

Take off the front and hind legs with a butcher knife.  Use a fillet knife to CAREFULLY cut out the backstraps (outside) and tender loins (inside).

The only "specialty tool" I used was a meat cleaver to chop though the ribs.  If you don't want whole ribs, you can cut out the meat from between them.

Now you're left with a neck attached to the backbone.  If you cut straight down the inside of the "throat", you can find the separations between the vertebrae.  Just cut down between them, and you can twist the neck to separate your roasts.  You can cut the whole neck into three or four roasts.  (I like to smoke mine like a brisket, but an oven will work too).

Use your fillet knife to bone out the front and hind legs.  You can keep the roasts from the rear whole, or slice them ACROSS the grain for some really nice steaks. (1 inch for grilling or 1/2 inch for frying).  Most of the meat from the front legs can be used as smaller steaks, burger, or rolled and stuffed for baking.

The whole process will be over quicker if you wait to slice your steaks at a later date.  THAT WAY, you can keep them as a "roast" or cut them thick or thin later.  They also freeze better as a whole piece of meat-less prone to freezer burn.

My wife and I did a whole deer in under 2 hours.  We don't make the burger right away, because I usually end up making more chili and stew.  That way I look for "Scraps" instead of digging through the freezer looking for "Burger".    If we want burger, we break out the little electric grinder...and it's done.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Processing Deer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 09:43:03 AM »
Well, if you also want to keep ribs youll need the saw.  Me?  I dont bother.  The ONLY utensile my buddy and I need are our $9.00 6" Rapala fillet knives (ok a bit of a lie, we also use a less expensive "beater" knife for the general qurtering.)  A meat grinder and vaccum sealer finishes off any chore we might need done.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Processing Deer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 09:53:28 AM »
the meat cleaver i use slices through those ribs like butter....OK like FROZEN butter...but you still don't need a saw  :grin:

Offline FOsteology

Processing Deer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 09:57:46 AM »
Here's a link to a 15 minute video on deer processing from the Ky Fish and Wildlife website. Right click on the link and click "save target as" to download. It may take some time depending on your connection speed.

Deer Processing Video
Protect your hunting freedoms....Join the NRA

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Processing Deer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 01:28:26 PM »
Great advice and great video.  I was already to go out today but the wife would not let me. :-D just kidding.

The advise and the video where extremely helpful.  It looks so simple...

I have all the tools I need. I just need to get the freezer paper.

With my new found knowledge I expect the freezer to be filled over Christmas.

Thanks
Doug

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Processing Deer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 04:07:26 PM »
the only time I use a saw is to take the legs just above the knees.
I use a wyoming 2 saw blade on an old hack saw.
for a knife I use a felt knife or my buck 119.
normaly I dont normaly mess with the ribs, the deer around me are so small and the shot normaly takes out most of the meat and leaves the rest bloodshot and full of bone fragments.

Offline BnSC

processing
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 02:23:32 AM »
These guys have given you good advice so far.. I worked for a local processor  for quite a while.  Now, I do mine, family members' and close friends'...

Boneless cuts are best as described by others.. Another thing to remember is the bone marrow will also contribute to the wild taste.  

There are several good websites that offer videos and meat cutting charts at resonable prices.

DO NOT DISCOURAGED!! It takes time to learn and practice, you can do it and it also a skill that can help you later.. My average time is about 2 hours for a normal size deer

I'll break down my preferences as simple as possible:
Backstraps: thick steaks for grilling, small chunks for fried nuggets, cube steaks..  Grind scraps

Hams:  Steaks, stew, roasts.  Eye of round can be used as "mock" backstraps.. There is a gland that is present in the round and requires that the three sections be separated to get it out.  Grind scraps

Neck and Shoulders: grind

Some folks just use scraps for stew,but you will be more pleased w/ using the rounds for good clean stew meat that is free of sinew and will be tender.

I use a 1 hp grinder from Northern Industrial Tool.  I package mine in 1 pound poly bags.

For sausage, I like to use a company called RBH Seasonings www.rbh.techcomm.net  I use the AC Leggs seasoning for my sausages.

I tried making a homemade blend, but the cost is prohibitive and the Leggs is just too dang good!!!!

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Re: processing
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 02:58:40 AM »
Quote from: BnSC
DO NOT DISCOURAGED!! It takes time to learn and practice, you can do it and it also a skill that can help you later.. My average time is about 2 hours for a normal size deer

The first deer I did by myself took WELL over 6 hours!  By the time I was done, that deer had a name (not one I would repeat at church!).  I had the most problem with the two front shoulder blades.  It was pretty tough getting ALL of the meat off cleanly.  NOW, if there is a little meat on blade, I bag them together and save them for a night my wife and I plan to use the grill.  Those blades keep my dogs occupied for DAYS!

By the way...once you fill your "steak pile" and "stew pile", don't forget to create a "JERKY pile".  Chill (lightly freeze) some of the longer muscles from the lower legs, then slice them across the grain to less than 1/8 inch.  Throw them in a big butter tub or gallon ziplock and marinate them for 3 or 4 days.  Then throw them on the dehydrator or in the oven.  You can search on-line for complete directions, or drop me a PM and I can help you out.