Author Topic: european optics  (Read 489 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
european optics
« on: December 18, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
Hi all. I have tried most all of the usa & japanese made scopes from cheep to expensive. But I have limited experience with the european optics. I have a IOR romanian riflescope that is comparable to the zeiss and a pair of zeiss 10x42 binoculars. What is your opinion of european optics: worth the extra cost and weight or not? Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: european optics
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
Quote from: pastorp
Hi all. I have tried most all of the usa & japanese made scopes from cheep to expensive. But I have limited experience with the european optics. I have a IOR romanian riflescope that is comparable to the zeiss and a pair of zeiss 10x42 binoculars. What is your opinion of european optics: worth the extra cost and weight or not? Regards, Byron

I have an IOR Valdada also. It is a 2.5X10X56mm. I think it is a great scope. But I am a Leuplod guy myself. European optics are better quality IMO but the price is a little hard to swallow.  :D I will stick with Leupold.  8)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: european optics
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 09:19:58 PM »
Quote from: pastorp
What is your opinion of european optics: worth the extra cost and weight or not?

Simply put - NO.  Don't get me wrong, european optics, generally speaking, can be better than the japanese and US optics, but definately not twice better, and thus not twice expensive.

Also keep this in mind.  Workers in europe earn wages generally twice what US workers are paid.  As such, a great deal of the double, or even triple, price tag of european scopes is because you are paying for their labor; and in european countries, the labor rates are high because they pay a much higher percentage of taxes for services, like medical, etc.  

A high end swarovski or zeiss is two or three times more expensive than an Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, and Leupold VXIII, but they are definately not two or three times better.

Zachary