Author Topic: Need help tracking blood, colorblind.  (Read 558 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need help tracking blood, colorblind.
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas that would help me track deer blood?  I can't see the blood unless it is pointed out by someone else.  If I touch some toilet paper to it I can see the red blood on the white paper, but is is impossible to go around the woods blotting all the leaves.  I am really challenged when it is raining because every thing  is shiny wet, not just the blood.
Thanks
Charlie Tango

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 04:09:09 PM »
Charlie,
Get some hydrogen-peroxide and put it in a small spray bottle.  When it comes in contact with blood it will react by creating foam.  You can easily spray spots that you think may be blood and if there is a foaming reaction it is blood.  Try to keep the peroxide in a dark colored bottle or it will break down in light.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »
Another thing is to either get a bottle of that 'Starlight Bloodhound', which will turn the blood to a bright blue at night, or invest in a Browning Black Ice flashlight. It has a pair of blue LED's to make blood stand out. But these two only work at night. That's all I can help ya with. Good luck.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 02:47:05 AM »
Up your caliber.

Offline TomVan

need help tracking blood, colorblind
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 03:55:44 AM »
Charlie, get a light with a blue filter.  It makes the blood show up well in the dark.  Surefire makes a very good one with red, blue, and green filters.

Offline BnSC

good advice
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 06:49:46 AM »
I think that some good advice has been given to you so far..

I have a close friend w/ the same problem as you.  I do not know your hunting distances or conditions.  For him in our conditions, he has relegated himself to only taking neck shots on the deer.  Granted most of our shots are taken on deer feeding, standing still, so that is a big factor.

The shot that seems to work the best is a "quatering to" shot that is placed in the neck right in front of the shoulder.  It will usually take out the neck (spine), airways, bloodvessels, portion of the vitals.  If placed correctly, it will also disable the shoulder on the opposing side as it exits.  If they don't fall in their tracks, they should drop in sight for sure!

In the years I've known him, I've only had to help w/ 2 deer!!  One was an easy retrieve w/ a very good blood trail, other was a little harder, but the deer was still recovered... His C/B is so bad he couldn't see lung blood on a blanket of just fallen lemon yellow leaves... :(

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Re: need help tracking blood, colorblind
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 11:18:24 AM »
Quote from: TomVan
Charlie, get a light with a blue filter.  It makes the blood show up well in the dark.  Surefire makes a very good one with red, blue, and green filters.

does the blue filter really work? I have an led flashlight that came with blue, red and orange filters.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »
:D I have this same problem. If I really need tracking help I get a hunting buddy to help. For this reason, I don't like to bowhunt when it's raining or real wet. Gun hunting, I try to set up shots that make tracking easier or unnecessary(shooting them in the open). I tracked a buck in muzzleloader season. We had a quarter inch of snow and it was still dificult, just remember they still leave tracks. Not everyone hunts with Doug (my hunting buddy) but having a non colorblind person helps. You could train a blood tracking dog. I get by best I can. I might try some of the stuff listed above myself.