Author Topic: Lyman Service Not so Great  (Read 1276 times)

Offline warf73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Lyman Service Not so Great
« on: December 12, 2004, 10:18:18 PM »
I don't feel that I was treated to good by Lyman. Just a bad taste is all I guess.

My 4 cavity mold handles broke (split down the middle) after the 6th use.

So I call Lyman they said send them in. I go out to remove the mold from the handle and can't I start to burger up the screw so I stop. Call Lyman back and tell them I can't remove the mold. The say send it all in they will remove the screws and replace them while looking at the handles. Great. (Mind you I just got this set up early last winter, the mold was used but looked NEW and I bought the handles NIB.)

Lyman call me and said it would cost me $68.00 if I wanted the mold and handles back. They said the mold was over 20 years old and were miss treated abused and weren't fix able.

This really pissed me off since the mold still looked almost new very little surface rust on the outside (always greased the inside and sprayed the out side with silicone) the inside was like new the spur had  little dings from being used. The spur was tight the mold side to side fit was great. The mold dropped great bullets every time it was used.

Like I told the lady I think this was a bunch of bull. Wasn't her fault what the tech wrote down? The mold was working fine when I sent it in I just couldn’t get the mold off of the handle.

Well needles to say I spent $68.00 on a NEW mold (429421) and handles.

My complaint is or grip is there was nothing wrong with the mold the dam screw wouldn’t come out. Nothing more nothing less. All I wanted was the wood handle to be fixed.

Am I wrong to be a little up set about it?

The rig is just at a year old and has had about 200lbs of lead threw it (that I put threw it).

Makes casting kind of costly I think.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 11:45:54 PM »
lyman can really suck to deal with. I wonder why they just didnt send you a new piece of wood to put on yours.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:23:17 AM »
Sadly this is very typical from Lyman. It is what you can always expect. They have zero customer service and zero warranty on their stuff. I like a lot of the Lyman stuff but you really must understand when buying it that it's really yours and anything you need from them for it you will pay full price for. Nothing comes free from them. Real shame but that's the way the folks in charge are doing it. Been that way at least 30 years too so it ain't likely to change.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »
That is why I have a Ideal set of blocks that I refuse to pay the high price for handles as all of My other stuff is Lee!  So trhe blocks set until I can find a cheap set of handles!  :x For 68 dollars you could by 3 Lee moulds at least maybe more at whole sale places and they work just great!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:31:53 PM »
You'll never NEVER get treated this way if you stick with RCBS.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:41:47 PM »
I own Lee also, but I don't use them on my high production bullets.

I realy thought it would have been better service but now I know.
your ass tomorrow."

Offline Leftoverdj

Re: Lyman Service Not so Great
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 06:37:06 AM »
Quote from: warf73
Lyman call me and said it would cost me $68.00 if I wanted the mold and handles back. They said the mold was over 20 years old and were miss treated abused and weren't fix able.

Am I reading this right? Lyman wanted $68.00 to look at your mould, refuse to fix it, and send it back? They kept your mould and handles?

If that's the case, I'da filed a complaint with the State Attorney General, State Corporation Commission, the Postal Inspectors, the Better Business Bureau and anyone else I could think of. Wouldn't expect any results, but I would hope to cost them a couple of grand in lost time dealing with those folks.

I replace wood without even bothering to take the handles off the blocks, and it's a mighty rare screw I can't get out. Even drilling a screw out and retapping is only about a $20 job. I can't imagine a screw that had only been in place a few months being stuck too tight to get out.

Just for future reference, at the first sign of burring, you stop and clamp what you are working on on the drill press table, grind one of the interchangeable bits to an exact fit, put it in an extension and chuck the extension. Apply hard downward pressure with the press and back the screw out with a wrench on the extension. This will get any screw that is not absolutely rusted solid.  If it's rusted solid, it'll pop the head of so you can start drilling.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 10:07:40 AM »
and if you think this one is good...try to get them to fix a furnace!!!  Don't even ask!

regards,
 graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline rk4570

Lyman
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:01:42 PM »
Right On....My Lyman Furnace is right where it belongs In the trash!!!
I had a Lyman mold (4570)& finally got tired of $%^&%$ it soooooo I sold it to a guy a the local gun club for $20.00, saw him the next month & he wanted his $$ back, said I would have to pay him more than that to keep it.
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »
Leftoverdj

You read it right I wrote it wrong.

Lyman call me and said it would cost me $68.00 if I wanted the mold and handles back.

Should have read: Lyman call me and said it would cost me $68.00 if I wanted NEW mold and handles back.

I really expected to get the service I had received from: RCBS, Hornady, Winchester, Barnes, Leopold, Springfield Armory, Remington, Weatherby, Davie Cricket, Century Arms, Simmons, Nosler and a few others.

Which was for the most part NO questions asked full replacement or fixed for free minus shipping?

If I had knew that Lyman had shyt for service I wouldn't have sent my handles and mold in.
I would have made a handle (a handle that isn't hollow) instead and called it good.
your ass tomorrow."

Offline 9 Mile

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 01:38:14 PM »
I'm very surprised with the disgruntled Lyman service statements. Lyman has just been great with me.  I bought a set of handles, when taking off a mold I dropped on concrete floor and cracked one handle. I sent in and they replaced no charge and I mentioned I needed 4 screws for attaching handles to 4 cavity mould and a couple of set screw tp set  sprue plate screw they were included at not charge.
They have frequently given advice regarding casting questions and repaired dies that I bought used at no charge.  They have reset location pins on several used mould I"ve bought also, and at no charge.  I have had great customer service, with RCBS, SAECO, Lee also.
Guess I've just been lucky, but they have been great.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 02:27:59 PM »
9 Mile -

Welcome, and thanks for the post.

Lyman's reputation is at best mixed.  But from what I've heard on various boards they are trying a little more now than in the past.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 08:29:51 PM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer
9 Mile -

Welcome, and thanks for the post.

Lyman's reputation is at best mixed.  But from what I've heard on various boards they are trying a little more now than in the past.

Maybe these boards are what we have needed to keep some of these companies on the straight and narrow :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Before we had the internet companies reps were not out there for the world to see! We have changed that! Jim  :P
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 02:02:02 AM »
That's not a bad idea, Jim -

I've invited manufacturers to look at threads when the topics have been of interest or explain better the question that I've got.  On occassion they have participated and I'm sure gotten business from it.

All it takes is SEVERAL of us to foward the URL or a copy of the thread to the manufacturers.  Have we not all observed that persistance wins?

Ahhhhhh the power of the electronic pen.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 06:56:38 AM »
Warf.
Reading your post really hit a nerve with me.I also had a problem with that company. Lyman's service is in bad need of repair. I have read this on several post's and different forums from others having problems, so I took C W's note and sent them my feelings from my dealings I had with them also. I hope this might just open there eyes a little.
This is what I wrote them and I could have expanded on it more.
Down the line is there response to my e-mail to them.
At least they replied.

Kurt

>I think your company warranty policy is in deep trouble with the shooting public from what I been reading on several forums like this.
>
>herehttp://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=49063
>I also have a few tools from Lyman that need repair. Like my lead furnace that wont hold temp. I also have cracked mould handles, a ,457-125 mould that is so out of round I wont use because it is just a wast of lead. I have called about the problem and was told It would not have left the factory if it was bad. That soured me with your Lyman product.
>I think you should pay attention to the forums like this and people like me that have a problem with a product from you.
>I been using Lyman since the Ideal days when you made a good tool and moulds that were reliable that was just about 50 years, but no more. There are company's now that stand behind there product.

"Dear Kurt;
Thank you for the link, I did check it out. I still have the mould and handles that the gentleman sent in. Actually, the condition was quite poor. We did make an offer for a brand new 4 cavity mould and 4 cavity handles. Just as a point of interest, the price for a new set would have been $124.90. We thought that half price (including shipping) was fair. We do receive in a great deal of things purchased from ebay and tag sales, which have not exactly been taken care of very well. We always do our best to assist our customers and to charge a fair price for any out-of-warranty repairs.
Thank you again for you kind words and for bringing this to our attention.
Please have a great Holiday Season,
Your Friends at Lyman"
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 07:50:07 AM »
This doesn't make it sound to me like much progress has been made by Lyman in Customer Service. Same o same o it sounds like to me. For $80 the mould and handles could have been ordered brand new from Midsouth Shooters Supply a GBO sponsor. So saving $12 on a warranty job hardly qualifies as providing the customer any service.

I also note that they didn't even address YOUR issues, only the one that they have the mould and handles on. So in effect it sounds like they totally ignored you even tho you are the one who called the whole matter to their attention.

Had it been an RCBS mould/handle you'd have gotten a brand new one at no charge whatsoever other than shipping to them for it. Not sure what Lee's policy is but I have to give Lee credit for being customer oriented. They do treat you right. I suspect you'd have gotten a new one from them at no cost also.

Lyman really needs to get their act together. Their total lack of concern for the customer after the sale is really costing them big time. Sure they save a bit of money by not taking care of defectives like those mentioned here but the bad press it gives them and the poor repeat sales costs them far more than they save. A company who takes care of their customers gets far more repeat business than one who doesn't. There are many Lyman products I really like but I seem to buy less and less of them for just this reason. They offer no warranty whatsoever. To say they even have cusomer service is really a joke.

WAKE UP LYMAN. Your killing your own company.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 11:05:26 AM »
No Bill they did'nt. But I got more of a reply then expected.
I wonder how they put Warf with the handles? he must have made an impression on them EH?

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 01:18:56 PM »
Kurt -

Thanks for ACTING on this issue.  We may not get immediate satisfaction, but in this case it appears that they were listening.

I for one am going to pass this experience on to several other boards.

When we mention that the advertizers on the boards that carry Lyman (and other manufacturers) products would benefit that brings it home to the manufacturer.

You get two atta-boys for this!!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 08:21:36 PM »
I guess I hit a nerve with them.

Wasn't rude to the gal I talked to (I didn’t yell or anything). Just expressed my option about the service. (With out swearing)

Sad that they addressed my issue and not yours.

More I think about it I must have really hit a nerve with them, hope they change there ways.

But it still pisses my off them saying they (mold or handle?) were in poor condition. I wouldn’t think a mold is in poor condition that still works flawless and drops great bullets every time. They must be pissing and moaning about the out side of the mold (had surface rust) and the spur having dings on it. Or because the screws were burgered up were I tried to get them off of the handle.
your ass tomorrow."

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 08:24:50 PM »
Ow ya I hope they sent them off its been almost 2 weeks this Friday.

They might keep them now :shock:

Warf
your ass tomorrow."

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 02:00:49 AM »
Most the Lyman moulds I've used have been good as any, perfect, no, but some have been close.

We were casting the Ballisti-Cast #1103 bullet from a two cavity mould and decided to go with Lyman 429421. I called Lyman and spoke with a lady. At first I got no where wanting to know the bullet measurements. I asked to speak with the shop foreman........NO. Finally I told her I wanted a couple of 429421 moulds, 4 cavity but wouldn't touch them unless I knew the measurements...been burnt by RCBS before.

Please take no offence but some people in the northeast are at best different to deal with but after a few minutes she came around. She sent a bullet blueprint. I called Graf and bought two moulds.

This same thing happened when I chose to replace my NEI #146 with a 358429 mould. I called her up and she sent the blueprint.

I have a very large Lyman tumbler that is no longer made. The bracket holding the motor broke while running it's 8 hour overnight shift. The motor fouled and tripped it's reset. I called her and she sent me the last bracket they had. She charged for the bracket but upon opening the box I found a complete base along with a new motor.

They've been good to me. I dealt with the same lady each time. Have her name written somewhere and speak only with her. She certainly sounds like a grouch but she's come through for me each time.

My nightmare story is with RCBS and covered several months, dealing directly with their shop foreman but no time to go into that now.
Joshua 1:9

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2004, 09:43:49 AM »
I have to say that my experience with Lyman CS is also good.  I recently acquired a Lyman 35866 4 cavity wadcutter mold.  I wanted a Top Punch for my Lyman 45, and a bullet seating screw for my seating die that would match the mold.  The mold of course is obsolete so the CS rep had to do some research to find which punch and seater I needed, and then search to see if they had them around.  It turned out that I got the last seater screw, and one of the last three top punches.  I thought she put in a lot of effort to sell ~$10 worth of stuff.