Author Topic: Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?  (Read 999 times)

Offline 147 Grain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:02:52 AM »
Opinions Welcome:

I love Nosler's AccuBond, which I believe is a one of the best all-around bullets there are to choose from.

For starters, the AccuBond is a Ballistic Efficient round with an aerodynamic BC of .509 - enabling more downrange energy on target.

Example:

When comparing a bullet's energy in a 30-06 versus a 300 Win Mag, if you put a premium 180-gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet in a 30-06 at 2,750 fps MV and compare it to a plain jane Winchester 180-gr. Power Point in a 300 Win Mag at 2,960 fps MV, the 30-06 AccuBond will have an amazing 104 ft. lbs more energy at 300 yards:  that's right - 2,005 versus 2,001 (Source:  Winchester's 2005 Ammo Catalog, p. 10 - 13).

So you see the 180-gr. AccuBond with a BC of .509 easily makes up for and passes the 210 fps velocity advantage the 180-gr. Power Point had because of its much lower BC of only .349.

In this case, the 30-06 180-gr. AccuBond outperforms a 300 Win Mag 180-gr. Power Point at 300 yards.

Moreover, a Nosler Technician recently reported that in comparison to the Hornady InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond.

The AccuBond's design took 4 1/2 years in the making.

I like this bullet because it provides excellent expansion and its unique ability to slowly shed weight enables it to penetrate more than the competition, so you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:49:15 PM »
i think they have one in a 35 cal
if so i would be interested in how it would preform in a 14' 35 rem barrel going a moterate but not hot load in the thing

Offline Butler

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
I used the 260 grain accubond to take a muley buck and a bull moose last fall ,and a black bear this spring..Bullet performed great and the animals were anchored fast(the muley because of a spine shot)..recovered the bullet from the moose with about 65% weight retention.No recoveries from bear or deer.Worked well and was fast and accurate in my 375 H&H

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 03:36:32 PM »
I have been doing some research on these bullets but have not tried them yet. The reason is I have been concerned about the retained weight. It is less than the partition. The partition usually retains two thirds of its original weight and the accubond is about half of its original weight. The partition is the most consistant of all bullets in my opinion. Its like you know when you pull the trigger what the partition is going to do. Its the same every time and its good. If this bullet was just more accurate I would never use anything else for hunting.---I doubt I will try the accubonds but I am going to try the interbonds.----vernonp

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 07:20:59 AM »

Seems that the front part of a partition has similar bullet construction to the excellent Solid Base design and that is what I like about Nosler's Flagship round:

1. Front Portion: Ability to fragment like a Solid Base with a hammer-effect causing shock - penetrating 7" to 10"

2. Rear Portion: Ability to keep on going like a Failsafe or Barnes X.

Partition

No other bullet provides the best of both worlds, with the AccuBond being the ONLY design I know of that has similar results (to the Partition). They sure must have done some tweaking and fine-tuning during the 4 1/2 years of research and development.

AccuBond

http://www.nosler.com/partition.html

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 07:27:20 AM »
P.S.

In comparison to the Hornady InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond - creating a larger wound channel, plus more shock!

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 10:03:56 AM »
I would rather the bullet hold together than break up at all....thats why i like the Hornady Interbond, and would like to try to Barnes TSX....IMHO, the Accubond doesnt retain enough weight, so i dont use it.
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 11:04:19 AM »
I tried the Interbond in 3 different rifles.  Was never happy with the poor accuracy that I experienced.  With the Accubonds I have always had excellent accuracy out of the same rifles.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:26:06 PM »
Oh.

Out of my Remington ADL 30-06 the accuracy is great. It goes right where I want it every time with facotry ammo...maybe i got lucky?
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 08:32:44 AM »
No need for premium bullets on deer (any deer).  I've used the Hornady Heavy Mag SST 139 gr interlokt the past 5 years.  One shot kills from 60-318 yards.  Excellent bullet performance.  If I were hunting a deer/elk combo I would probably feel different.

Offline kyhunter308

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »
THAT IS A PREMIUM BULLET (MAG),(SST),(INTERLOCK)...THATS IN THE PREMIUM CLASS MY FRIEND....