Author Topic: Weaver rings/bases  (Read 702 times)

Offline TDK

• Trade Count: (0)
Weaver rings/bases
« on: December 21, 2004, 05:35:47 PM »
Bought a new scope and had it boresighted and mounted. Went to the range to zero in and the rifle was not hitting the paper @ 100 yards. Went back to the dealer who said he would give credit towards another scope. Dealer sets up the scope and time of pickup mentions the original scope is bent and was hesitant to take it back. He mentions the Weaver rings on the gun are noted for bending scopes? Is this true ? He should have mentioned the ring problem before. Now considering the Burris Signature Zee rings. Thanks for any help.

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
Weaver rings/bases
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 06:49:09 AM »
TDK,

1) Boresighting is an approximate sighting in method in most cases. You would be much farther ahead to start out at 25 yards to find out where the bullets are hitting and make adjustments there before shooting at 100 yards where you normally make the final fine tuning adjustments. Also what size paper were you using? For sighting in, I've learned the hard way that 8 1/2 x 11 targets are too small. Use the larger 18 x 18 or 24 x 24 targets.

2) I am curious as to how Weaver rings would bend a scope? Not saying that some bad parts don't get through but I would attribute most problems I have seen to improper mounting procedures such as overtightening or misalignment or not loctiting screws.

Safe shooting.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
Weaver rings/bases
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 08:16:45 AM »
All a bunch of bunk. And don't DEPEND on boresighting, do fire at 25 yards first and then move out. You should be a bit low at 25 yards ideally.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline TDK

Weaver rings/bases
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 10:46:06 AM »
Quote from: mountainview
TDK,

1) Boresighting is an approximate sighting in method in most cases. You would be much farther ahead to start out at 25 yards to find out where the bullets are hitting and make adjustments there before shooting at 100 yards where you normally make the final fine tuning adjustments. Also what size paper were you using? For sighting in, I've learned the hard way that 8 1/2 x 11 targets are too small. Use the larger 18 x 18 or 24 x 24 targets.

2) I am curious as to how Weaver rings would bend a scope? Not saying that some bad parts don't get through but I would attribute most problems I have seen to improper mounting procedures such as overtightening or misalignment or not loctiting screws.

Safe shooting.

Mountainview,

1) Target size 16x16 approx. Boresighting is an approx method but it should have been able to get on the paper.

2) Recall reading somewhere that the design of this Weaver ring will distort the scope if overtightened. The ring has two screws on one side and the other side has an interlocking lip. Something to do with having uneven pressure on one side of the ring because one side is screwed down and the other is not. Not sure if this is correct but thats why I asked. The dealer is the one who mounted the scope in the first place. Thanks.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Weaver rings/bases
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 11:13:54 AM »
This has been on other posts you need to get  scope alignment rods and check rings before you put on the scope. you mount enough scopes without one and sooner or later your going to bend one. I am not saying your rings aren't the problem but you need to make sure the hole aren;t drilled wrong or the receiver ground or polished out of line it happen on new guns I bent one on a Winchester 94 before I got The rods

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
Weaver rings/bases
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 12:20:52 PM »
TDK,

16x16 should be big enough for sighting in though 24x24 can help catch the shots a bit better. You may be hitting right at the edge and not able to catch it. With your new scope, try starting off at 25 yards and I suspect that will catch problems a bit more readily and eliminate some frustration in the long run. While I never sat down and worked out the geometry, even with boresighting, you could be off several inches at 25 yards and it will only get worse at longer distances. Also check the leveling of the scope.

From your response I can see why you noted the bending problem from the rings, which still goes back to problems in mounting procedure rather than the rings. Why not consider mounting the scope yourself in the future as it sounds like the dealer may be bending scopes on a frequent basis. Tain't hard to DYI  and can easily be done with a few simple tools as long as you go slow, stop to check your work frequently, and avoid overtightening.

Good luck and safe shooting.