Author Topic: Tracker II - Slug Choice  (Read 752 times)

Offline TNred

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II - Slug Choice
« on: December 22, 2004, 05:55:13 AM »
My wife is getting me a new Tracker II slug gun (20 gauge) for Christmas.  I'm trying to decide what kind of slugs to try first.

I plan to use the factory open sights (no scope), and where I hunt my max shooting range is 75 yards (usually 50 yards or less).

I've been looking at the Remington Copper Solid Sabot slugs.  These are not loaded as hot as the Core Lokt slugs, but then I don't plan to be shooting more than 75 yards.

Would the Remington Copper Solid Sabot slugs be a good choice?  Does anybody here use them?  Or should I try the hotter Core Lokt slugs first?

Thanks.

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 06:04:13 AM »
i know a guy who uses the copper solids froma  12 ga ithaca and they are devistating.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:13:52 PM »
My wifes Tracker uses the Federal Hydra-Shok 3" with Federals own hour glass shaped saboted slug. These are mild in the recoil department and are the most accurate we have tried in her gun. (Tried em all)

I use the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold and they are fairly accurate out of my Tracker, but have some fairly severe recoil. They do have some great ballistics, and will chronograph around 1875 fps. I have started dabbling with the Remington Core-Lokts as well, and they seem to group higher on the target which might indicate a bit more speed. The recoil is like the Winchester Partition Golds. My Tracker does not shoot the above mentioned Federals particularly well, so I have gone to the higher velocity offerings.

I suggest to try as many as you can afford. Both our 20 ga. Trackers wear scopes, so testing is a somewhat simpler.

Anyways, YMMV (your mileage may vary) Hope this helps.........Chainsaw

Offline rfb4u2

Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 07:26:10 PM »
use lightfields....the blue shells....about 12$$$a box of 6...works good in mine... :shock:

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 03:46:58 AM »
I use the Remington Buck Hammers in both my 12 and 20 trackerII.  They work for me.  None of my shots are over 50 yrds.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline kevtn

Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 06:34:53 PM »
What part of Tn you from? Im in middle, west of Nashville

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 02:15:37 AM »
TN Red,

I've been using the 20 gauge Remington Copper Solid saboted slugs in my Scoped Tracker II for a couple of years now.  I tested a bunch of slugs when I first got my gun set up, and the Remington Copper was the most accurate of the group (Winchester BRI and Supreme, Lightfield and the Remington).

The first year I used this set up, I shot a spike buck and wasn't able to find him (he led me on a 2 mile chase before the blood trail dried up).  After some investigation, I believe I shot too low in the chest from too steep of an angle and the slug didn't have a chance to penetrate to the vitals, instead it opened up a fairly large flesh wound.

I had doubts about the performance of the slug, but went ahead and used them again this year.  The results were as different as night and day.  

This year's deer (a button buck)was shot at approximatly 60-65 yards, deer was mostly broadside, slightly angling away.  I hit it about 1/3 of the way down the chest, right behind the shoulder.  The deer dropped in it's tracks and never moved again.

Here's a picture of the deer and gun rig.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=390

It wasn't a monster buck, but it made some mighty pretty white packages in the freezer.  :grin:

Offline 3s3k

Tracker II - Slug Choice
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 04:14:22 AM »
I've had very good luck with Lightfield Hybred EXP'S out to 100yds after that distance I switch to Remington Ultra Core Lokts or Winny Platinums.
The Lightfields are less expensive then the rest .GL