Author Topic: Ideal Molds/ Mold #30 S (diameter?  (Read 656 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Ideal Molds/ Mold #30 S (diameter?
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:31:40 AM »
The guy says this is 30 caliber.  Is this for 30 caliber bullets?  Or does the cast core measure 30 caliber?
....make it count

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:12:06 AM »
Hello Robert,

This forum is for swaging not casting. In swaging we use pressure in a die to make metal/s flow at room temperature, casting use heat to melt and cast in a mold to make metal/s flow. Even though some of the people here are also casters I think your question would be better suited on the “Cast Bullet Discussion” forum.

Thank you.
Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:51 PM »
For give me I seemed to have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I was under the impression that the Ideal Molds were for bullet casting mold only I did not know that they also made core casting molds for swaging too. Learn something new every day. I here by stand corrected.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 02:16:08 PM »
You should ask the mold's owner to measure the diameter of a LEAD (not an alloy) core that dropped from the mold, and how long the core is (is it variable?). That is 1/2 the answer. To answer the question about whether the core will "fit", you have to know what it's to fit in. A LSWC lead bullet die without a jacket, or a Core -jacket swage die having a .013, .020, .035, or a .050" walled jacket. Too, you have to know if the jacket wall is sloped or not, and if so, what is the minimum ID.  8)